Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A4: help in replacing back breaks

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

I have an Audi A4 2003 Saloon, the Back Rotors need to be replaced,
    Could anyone give me advice or steps in doing so.

I am pretty handy around a car, Just its one thing i never had todo up untill now, Like ot get it right first time.

Also i read from online, Does the Piston on the Callipers have to be screwed back into to allow for new pads, Will a small pliers do this or do i need a specific tool?

When retracting the piston, Can i do any damage to the ABS, do i need to open the bleeder screw when i am doing this.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Genuineguy wrote: »
    Hi,

I have an Audi A4 2003 Saloon, the Back Rotors need to be replaced,
    Could anyone give me advice or steps in doing so.

I am pretty handy around a car, Just its one thing i never had todo up untill now, Like ot get it right first time.

Also i read from online, Does the Piston on the Callipers have to be screwed back into to allow for new pads, Will a small pliers do this or do i need a specific tool?

When retracting the piston, Can i do any damage to the ABS, do i need to open the bleeder screw when i am doing this.

Thanks

Your best off getting the wind back tool, they aren't that expensive, will make the job much easier. You can't do it with a pliers as you need to apply force and twist at the same time. Last ones i did i fabricated a wind back tool.

Yea most manuals say it can damage the ABS system/master cylinder, so you should open the bleeder. I've never heard of an ABS system or master cylinder being damaged, doesn't mean it can't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The hub nut can be a pig to remove, I think its a 1/2" socket you need. The wind back tool can be bought from halfrauds and looks like this, they are manufactur specific.

DSC00069.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A G-Clamp is just as good but much cheaper.
    Which hub nut needs to be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

kbannon wrote: »

Not much use for vag rear calipers, the piston has to be screwed back in. Wind back tool makes the job really easy, halfords or gsf parts have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

kbannon wrote: »

The piston needs also to be twisted too for the rear caliper on these, so a simple G-clamp won't cut it, unless there's some way of twisting the piston at the same time. I presume its due to the self adjusting handbrake mechanism built into the rear caliper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Hal1 wrote: »
    The hub nut can be a pig to remove, I think its a 1/2" socket you need.

The hub nut does not need to come off, once the wheel is removed the disc will be held on by one philips head screw, remove this and the disc will pull off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Neilw wrote: »
    Not much use for vag rear calipers, the piston has to be screwed back in. Wind back tool makes the job really easy, halfords or gsf parts have them.
    The piston needs also to be twisted too for the rear caliper on these, so a simple G-clamp won't cut it, unless there's some way of twisting the piston at the same time. I presume its due to the self adjusting handbrake mechanism built into the rear caliper.
    Now that you say it, I think this was mentioned on here a few months back!
    Thanks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Genuineguy

Thanks guys, Yeah have being very helpful, from the sounds of it, i need to get the correct tool to push the piston back into place. Hopefully the disk/rotor will pop off, by removing the screw holding the disk on, The Auto factors said they are 3 different types of disks used in the A4, Even disks with the wheel bearings fitted to them, So i will pop one off first, and bring it to the Motor factors.

Advertisement