Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling car with NCT just gone - who pays the late NCT fine if any?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

About to sell a car (99 Polo) with NCT gone a couple of days ago. I haven't logged online to see when NCT was due on Polo as bought another (04 Avensis) a few months ago and haven't been driving the Polo since.

So when I sell the car will the NCT details automatically go over to the new owner? Will the new owner pay the 50 + 25 Euro fine? - I presume there will be a fine as I probably missed the original date?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Did you agree the original date? If so then AFAIK, you are responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jugovic wrote: »
    Hi all,

About to sell a car (99 Polo) with NCT gone a couple of days ago. I haven't logged online to see when NCT was due on Polo as bought another (04 Avensis) a few months ago and haven't been driving the Polo since.

So when I sell the car will the NCT details automatically go over to the new owner? Will the new owner pay the 50 + 25 Euro fine? - I presume there will be a fine as I probably missed the original date?

Thanks in advance for any info!

no fine, just the NCT gets back dated to the original NCT.. so they won't get the full 2 years out of it...

These days, selling cars is not easy.. i would recommend you get one, it will help sell it...

yeah, but if the OP booked a date with them and didn't show then a fine or whatever is due - who pays that? I think it would be the OP and not the buyer - a call to the NCTS would disclose this I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jugovic

kbannon, haven't agreed an original date at all - so means no fine for new owner? robtri, thanks for answer, no fine for new owner!

Have an offer for the car (350 Euro) but actually considering doing an NCT on it to increase the price. Would it also be the case for me if I was to NCT the car - no fine, just the NCT gets back dated to the original NCT??

If you NCT the car now then the cert would be back dated alright.
    Also if you did not agree to a ddate then they can't force you to pay for one.

As for the sale, if you have an offer now, take it! It could cost a few bob to get it through (I don't know as I can't see the car) which would eat up any additional money made from getting the NCT!

• Advertisement

There is no fine :D

If the car is running well I'd want more than €350 for it personally. Could walk through the test no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

you dont automatically get a date for the NCT without applying for it. If you got an appointment and didnt go to it there will be a fine when you get the next one.

I don't know if a change of ownership gets rid of the fine on the car but i doubt if it does

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jugovic

Thanks all for answers. Two more questions on NCT:

1. Will NCT fail if road tax not up to date for test?
    2. Will NCT fail if tires are worn (ie tead-wear indicators are shown)?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jugovic wrote: »
    Thanks all for answers. Two more questions on NCT:

1. Will NCT fail if road tax not up to date for test?
    2. Will NCT fail if tires are worn (ie tead-wear indicators are shown)?

Not sure on number one.
    But defo fail on number two if they are below legal limit

Advertisement