Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brock ground technique

Options
  • 21-10-2009 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been posted already.
    Without turning this into a Brock is good/bad debate, it's interesting to see the fight broken down like this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭O'Leprosy

pierrot wrote: »
    Without turning this into a Brock is good/bad debate, it's interesting to see the fight broken down like this.

Interesting. Some pretty good stuff there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Really cool video.

Just on Brock's technique it was really interesting that Brock seemed break the rule which every hardcore MMA fan holds most dear in that jujitsu > all which manifested itself in the crowd chanting “stand them up” when Brock was clearly dominating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

pierrot wrote: »

Good video, but in my opinion, a lot of the control in that fight was also due to Mirs very poor movement off his back when Brock had top half guard on him. While Brock controlled his head (what the video describes up to about 1.30) either with his arms or own head wont stop someone from regaining guard if they use their hips properly (the guy on bottom can put his free knee in between himself and his opponent and use that as leverage to pull his trapped leg free and either regain guard or push his opponent away and try to stand up himself, even if his head is being controlled). When Brock got the underhook (from about 1.30 to 1.50 in the vid), he had good defense of Mir taking his back, but Mir still could have tried to regain guard by using his free hand to push Brocks leg into guard (Brocks underhook did not really allow him to strike at that time).
    Brocks pin at 2.30 allows the possibility of Mir circling his right hand inbetween their bodies to block his face (really only making the best of a bad situation though). The last hold (about 3.00 on the vid) is pretty much a terrible place to be, with little viable escapes coming to mind (giving up back, maybe)

I realise that this is easier said than done against the likes of Brock Lesnar, but I am only 130 lbs and regularly train with people who outweigh me by a lot, and from my experience Mir didn't look like he tried to regain guard or escape effectively at all. He looked like most heavyweights I've seen when put on their backs by someone bigger: completely lost because they aren't used to being there (and fair play to Lesnar for beating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

While we're unlikely to ever see them fight, I'd love to see what Fedor would do in an identical position to the one which had Mir trapped and taking a horrible amount of punishment.

Brock seemed to leave no opportunites at all for Mir to do anything, leading me to believe that if he gets any fighter in that position (even Fedor or Nog), then it's very hard for them to do anything, other than to avoid being TKOd or having the fight stopped by the ref.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Bodysmart wrote: »
    While we're unlikely to ever see them fight, I'd love to see what Fedor would do in an identical position to the one which had Mir trapped and taking a horrible amount of punishment.

Brock seemed to leave no opportunites at all for Mir to do anything, leading me to believe that if he gets any fighter in that position (even Fedor or Nog), then it's very hard for them to do anything, other than to avoid being TKOd or having the fight stopped by the ref.

Any thoughts?

My first thought would be to turn onto the arm that was caught, let go of halfguard, try to turtle up or at least get your face away from Brocks fists. I just watched the actual fight agian and saw that Brock had Mir just against the cage though, so that would have made turning, moving at all much harder. While I agree anyone at all put in that position would be having a hard time surviving longer than a few seconds, I dont think Nog or Fedor would end up in it (at least quite as quick). Both would be better at getting guard from half guard, or the take down, and both would better at using it. While Brock did well in that fight, a lot of the win comes form Mir being almost pathetic on his back for the whole fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭KevinH

rovert wrote: »
    Really cool video.

Just on Brock's technique it was really interesting that Brock seemed break the rule which every hardcore MMA fan holds most dear in that jujitsu > all which manifested itself in the crowd chanting “stand them up” when Brock was clearly dominating.

What did Lesnar do that wasn't bjj ?

Advertisement