Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-designed Site

Options
  • 21-10-2009 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I've been working hard to redesign my site as my original wasn't that great.
    Its a website giving your news and information about all the latest tech news and products
    www.techinfo-4u.com

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I find the h2 (dark grey on dark blue) headings too hard to read. Also, I think the blue bars with the date/poster/comments below the titles draws the eyes more than the titles themselves. Don't be afraid to have a different colour for the header text than the main body text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Could maybe do with an "About" page.
    I'd just say "follow us on twitter" once
    Your contact page is a bit confusing - I thought it was something to do with a solar energy charity (:confused:) before I realised that was a google ad. Maybe either move the ad or change the colour so it's obviously an ad. Actually, the same applies to the ads on all pages.
    Agree with the dark blue colour for the metadata not working.
    Not sure about "Useful Links" consisting solely of google ads

Looks good though.

[edit]
    Your page title just has e.g. "Software |"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Needs more frames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LCblogger

Its ok but your navigation bar should be more prominent. Also maybe change the colour of the background where your useful links, categories section is.. As its hard to discern between either side. Looks a bit messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

robobobo wrote: »
    I've been working hard to redesign my site as my original wasn't that great.
    Its a website giving your news and information about all the latest tech news and products
    www.techinfo-4u.com

Let me know what you think

I'll be brutally honest. It looks terrible. It looks cheap, amateur and unprofessional. If i'm completely truthful even the name is very poor and doesn't instil any confidence in the site.

Get a decent Wordpress theme. There's thousands of themes out there that are million miles better than this. There's also tons of very cheap commercial themes that are worth buying. Also, i'd seriously consider a name change. Techinfo-4u - it sounds like something a 14 year old would write in a text message. Engadget, gizmodo, techcrunch, these are better, more original and memorable. You should take a leaf out of their book. It needs to be short and simple. No more than 3 syllables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭robobobo

P

Thanks for your honest reply, I've picked a new theme now and will start working on it

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I agree with the domain name issue. If you gotta have the '4' in the title, what about tech4nfo.com? It seems to be available, and is 3 syllables if you say 'techfournfo'! Not as cool as gizmodo, so you could try technfo.com, which is unavailable, so you may need technfo.ie, but then you might as well get techinfo.ie, and that sounds a tad bland to me.

But I think it's better than techinfo-4u.com. Verbally telling someone your domain name is important, the added dash, or lack of dash before the info and after the 4 can confuse a verbal conversation with someone that doesn't know the name of the site. And it sounds a little overly colloquial verbally.

Nice theme though :)

Cheers,

I don't think i'll be changing the name just yet, it expires in a couple of months, i think i'll focus on getting the theme sorted,

any ideas on why my thumbnail images aren't showing up in this theme lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Much prefer the new theme. It's leagues ahead of what you had before. Now it looks professional and reliable. I'd try tweak it to add a little bit of colour somewhere, even just a small amount to give it a little bit more personality.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I like the new theme. The images are not loading for me though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

robobobo wrote: »
    Cheers,

I don't think i'll be changing the name just yet, it expires in a couple of months, i think i'll focus on getting the theme sorted,

any ideas on why my thumbnail images aren't showing up in this theme lol

Hi Robobobo,

The theme seems to use the timthumb plugin, have you that plugin installed for a start?

Yes i do,

it came with the theme

Right I've changed the theme,

What do you guys think of it now?

Still trying to think of a new name, so many of them already taken

Advertisement