Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax Debt

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi ,Im looking for some advice on an outstanding tax debt
    Iwas self employed up until last October and became unemployed ,my accountant told me not to pay my tax as I did,nt know when I d next work and I,d need the money to support my wife and 4 kids .I have,nt worked since and am really struggling at the moment to make ends meet .My tax due was 16000 and naturally enough they came after me ,I agrred to pay them 250 per month and Im finding it nearly impossible to come up with that right now .I have no money left now as my monthly outgoings are nearly €5000 and income from my wifes work (recently employed thank god )is withthe childrens allowance €2500 ,my mother helps us out sometimes .The revenue are threaten me with the sherriff and I cant tell my wife as I know she wont cope too well .I always paid my taxes in the past and every intention of paying this one ,its just right now I cant see any light ,Im trying everything I can to get back to work as staying at home is killing me .Id appreciate some advice as I have,nt told anyone I know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kerah86

Have you rang them to see can they lower the €250 to something more manageable for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Yea id agree with Kerah. They are not all monsters who work in the Revenue. I work in accountants office too so i would be use to communicating with the Revenue over various matters and most of the time they are reasonable.

If you explain your current circumstances stating that you are currently seeking employment and as soon as you find a job you would increase the repayment to €250 again. The worst thing you woulc do is ignore the problem.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

Yes
    Im constantly speaking with them ,I understand they have a job to do and to be fair they have been helpful but no matter how many times I explain they keep coming back looking for more and yesterday the letter threatening the sherrif if I dont pay within 1 week .Im actually broke ,I cant afford to put petrol in my car,my kids complain about being hungry .Ive offered to go and visit revenue

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Have you gone to MABS yet, if not you should give them a call.

http://www.mabs.ie/

Regards

dbran

Mabs have a 6 months waiting list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

The only thing I can suggest is that you get on the list & inform Revenue in writing (it’s too easy to be fobbed off over the phone) that you are currently experiencing financial difficulties & have applied to see a MABS Money Advisor & enquire as to whether, considering that you are currently unemployed they will accept a smaller or nominal amount until such a time that MABS contact them on your behalf with a view to arranging a more suitable & realistic repayment schedule. This, to me, doesn’t sound like an unreasonable request.

thanks for all your advice,Im already paying €250 a month but they feel its not enough ,when I talk to them they seem very understanding yet the damands keep coming ,I feel that Im making an effort and wonder how many others are,nt and would I have been better off ignoring them and paying nothing .I read today that they,ve written €250 m already this year and wonder how those cases are different to mine

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Find your local tax office and go see them, they are much more helpful and human in a person to person situation. You will leave happier than now not knowing, I am sure you will reach a mutually agreeable solution, if only in the short term. Best of luck with it.

Advertisement