Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission - raising roof

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭

Hi, I was looking at a site with full planning permission, however it’s a little smaller upstairs than what we had hoped once we measured it out etc. unfortunately the attic isnt high enough to convert, but my question is, if I wanted to raise the roof, would I have to apply all over again for planning permission, and it to go through the whole process of 3 months etc? anyway around this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,321 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Accommodation & Property

You would need to go through the process again. However, in the scheme of things is 3 months all that long?

You may want to pick your time with doing the roof anyway. November isn't the best month for roofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

mel123 wrote: »
    Hi, I was looking at a site with full planning permission, however it’s a little smaller upstairs than what we had hoped once we measured it out etc. unfortunately the attic isnt high enough to convert, but my question is, if I wanted to raise the roof, would I have to apply all over again for planning permission, and it to go through the whole process of 3 months etc? anyway around this.

As Victor said, you will have to go for planning permission, no way around it. Every planning application takes the same length of time.

You may wish to meet with a planner in a pre-planning meeting and discuss your proposal, it may save you making an application, if they are not willing to grant planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As Victor said, you will have to go for planning permission, no way around it. Every planning application takes the same length of time.
    :eek::eek::eek:
    You may wish to meet with a planner in a pre-planning meeting and discuss your proposal, it may save you making an application, if they are not willing to grant planning permission.

It's probably too big a change for get by as an amendment to planning, but i'd chance it anyway, depending on area it will have various chances of getting through

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

:D

OK, every planning application goes through the same processes and are subject to the same time constraints. First there is the mandatory 5 week waiting period, then a further three weeks in which the LA has to come back to you before the end of with a) grant of permission with or without conditions, b) refusal of permission with reason(s), c) request for further information.

It is my experience that all applications run the 8 week period regardless of the type of application.

Note: I am only referring to valid planning applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sirmoff

Could'nt you just apply for a change of house plan? Im not sure on what time differences there are with that. There definatly will be issues if you intend to put in more toilets as your treatment system may need to have a greater capacity. A big thing will also be existing houses around your site and their heights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,896 ✭✭✭✭muffler

would I have to apply all over again for planning permission, and it to go through the whole process of 3 months etc?
    In a word - YES. You will have to reapply for alterations/amendments to the previously approved plans. As mentioned above there is a remote (very remote Id think) chance that the PA would consider it as a minor amendment and in this instance you would only need to submit a copy of the revised plan accompanied by a covering letter and a fee. You would be better to check this first with the local planner.

anyway around this.
    There's not. Even if there was discussion on it here would lead to bans being issued as we dont condone the flaunting of the planning laws.

Advertisement