Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Having weird problem with my car

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

Ok so Im having this nightmare problem with my car.

Its a 2000 1ltr Polo

When the tank is full NO PROBLEM.

When it gets half full I start to encounter this problem.
    It only happens when the car is left lying around for a short period of time usually 1 hour.
    When I start it it just wont start onless I either jump start it & rev the s*** out of it for a few minutes or put it in neutral & rev the **** out of it... and then take off as normal

Then sometimes (not all the time) it revs at 20 itself for a few mintutes while I'm driving and sometimes (not all the time) it conks out when I stop the car, and then its back to square one again.

I have had a problem with the air flow meter in my old car & its not the same as that (you know when your car turns off whe you break & clutch together).

I have to say its great fun trying to get home without stopping!

There is plenty of pulling power when I start it so I don't think its the battery... it chugs alot!

But like I said when left around for a while it perfect.

I was told by a mechanic he doesn't know whats wrong & to bring it to a VW garage which charge €125 euro an hour for labour & are also scam artists that claim to take 3.5 hours to do a job that takes a half hour so Im not going near them.
    Especially when the car is only worth a grand & I've put a grand into the car already this year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

chachabinx wrote: »
    Ok so Im having this nightmare problem with my car.

Its a 2000 1ltr Polo

When the tank is full NO PROBLEM.

When it gets half full I start to encounter this problem.
    It only happens when the car is left lying around for a short period of time usually 1 hour.
    When I start it it just wont start onless I either jump start it & rev the s*** out of it for a few minutes or put it in neutral & rev the **** out of it... and then take off as normal

Then sometimes (not all the time) it revs at 20 itself for a few mintutes while I'm driving and sometimes (not all the time) it conks out when I stop the car, and then its back to square one again.

I have had a problem with the air flow meter in my old car & its not the same as that (you know when your car turns off whe you break & clutch together).

I have to say its great fun trying to get home without stopping!

There is plenty of pulling power when I start it so I don't think its the battery... it chugs alot!

But like I said when left around for a while it perfect.

I was told by a mechanic he doesn't know whats wrong & to bring it to a VW garage which charge €125 euro an hour for labour & are also scam artists that claim to take 3.5 hours to do a job that takes a half hour so Im not going near them.
    Especially when the car is only worth a grand & I've put a grand into the car already this year.

Get somebody to hook it up to a diagnostics machine.If the problem's electrical it should find it.Main Dealers charge around €50 to hook it up.When was the car last serviced? Were the plugs replaced recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

Moanin wrote: »
    Get somebody to hook it up to a diagnostics machine.If the problem's electrical it should find it.Main Dealers charge around €50 to hook it up.When was the car last serviced? Were the plugs replaced recently?

My uncle took the car & serviced it back in March... really wouldn't surprise me if he didn't at all.. but can't be making accusations like that with family but I have learned from my mistake...

The first thing I done was change the plugs & it made no difference...

Advertisement