Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealerships putting enormous URLs on front & rear glass

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this recently in Cork, bit of a pisstake IMO. There are one or two Dealerships putting their website URLS in 3 inch high lettering across the top of the front and rear windscreens. Must be three foot wide too. This is on top of numberplate surrounds, tax disc holders, keyrings, etc.

It's bordering on actual advertising - they probably should be paying customers for it at this point. There's a family owned Nissan dealership here in Cork who are notorious for it, and they seem to be rolling it out to their other marques. What's everyone's opinion on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I always remove the number plates, tax disc holders and sticker in the rear window from my car with any reference to the garage where it was bought. I'm not advertising their business for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

The Subaru distributor always seem to do it on rear windows of vehicles but it is not that big really.

Lots of dealers have started doing it on glass, some more in your face than others but people are free to remove same so no big issue. What I do not like is putting dealer graphics on paintwork.

Autoboland do or did it quite a bit on their Land Rover / Volvo vehicles. It tended to remain in place on much of the Hertz fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Doesn't matter how big or small, first thing i do is strip all that cr@p off my car. When i picked up my current car i changed the tax disc holder, took stickers off front and rear windows as well as removing the number plate surrounds. Oh and i dumped the key ring holder in favour of a much nicer one off ebay :D

Tony Kelly cars in Letterkenny used to put a emblem on the back of the car that i know (from a mate) needed a hairdryer to soften the glue before it could be removed.

Merlin always seem to put their url right in a very prominent position in the rear window also.

Bad example...
    447479_3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I've just taken the stickers off my last two cars and stuck my own advertising over the reg plate names.

Next time though I was planning to either get them to remove it all or ask them for a fee to advertise:)

Maybe send them a monthly invoice for "mobile advertising services provided"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'll see if I can't get a photo shortly, but these are huge. Plus, because they're vinyl onto glass, your average pensioner type Micra driver is going to have a hard time removing them, and the rest of us will still have a good 30 minutes fighting with a hairdryer to prise it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I asked the dealer not to put any stickers on my last car, and had them remove the Subaru transfer from the rear screen. As bazz26 says, i'm not doing their advertising for them. That said, I left the number plate surround as a concession, given that I would actually recommend Castle Subaru if asked.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Damn you all for removing the branding - I've sometimes spent up to 5 whole minutes putting a sticker, tax disc holder and plate surrounds on cars. And that's not to mention our really nice key rings :D

I personally feel that cars without any branding just look a bit strange, but I do agree that a lot of dealers go over the top. Esmonde Motors in Dublin used to stick a fairly large badge on the back of all their cars which looked horrible.

There is a dealer up our way (Louth/Meath) who has the big URL at the top of the back window and a big transfer on one side of the boot with the logo, and another with the name on the other side of the boot. Can't remember the name of the dealer though so all his advertising isn't working :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

I'll see if I can't get a photo shortly, but these are huge. Plus, because they're vinyl onto glass, your average pensioner type Micra driver is going to have a hard time removing them, and the rest of us will still have a good 30 minutes fighting with a hairdryer to prise it off.

On the front windscreen that is way out of order, no matter what the size. Until someone lectures them I doubt they will change their ways and will probably keep trying it on with others. If it is not a dealer demonstrator it is cheeky to put same on a private car, not to mention potentially dangerous. IMO, very large signs even on the rear window, looks a bit gauche - slightly less so on a 4x4 or commercial vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They're not demos, they're just normal customer cars, that's why I find it weird that people accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

I want to remove the dealers stickers from my back window but it is covering one of the lines from the rear de-mister. I don't want to damage anything so could someone tell me whats the best way to get the sticker off?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

high horse wrote: »
    I want to remove the dealers stickers from my back window but it is covering one of the lines from the rear de-mister. I don't want to damage anything so could someone tell me whats the best way to get the sticker off?

thanks

Is the sticker on the inside or outside of the glass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Is the sticker on the inside or outside of the glass?

Its on the inside. I just don't want to pull off part of the de-mister when i take it off

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bearing in mind that most if not all people who have responded so far saying that they would remove the stickers are 'petrolheads' and proud of their car, thats fine.
    However, most people don't care and, as the dealer knows, they won't remove ths stickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah that is a nuisance, massive stickers on rear windows.
    I too remove the stickers in the window but leave the reg plates.

high horse wrote: »
    Its on the inside. I just don't want to pull off part of the de-mister when i take it off

Carefully catch the edge with your thumb nail and just peel the sticker off. Shouldn't cause any issue.

Biggest problem with those it the location on some Saloon rear windows.

Use a hairdryer to soften it up first.

If its a new car, I wouldn't DIY - I'd insist that the dealer do it. If something were to happen, I'd rather they messed up than me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Ah lads its only a sticker! Just pull it off!

Ah lads its only a sticker! Just pull it off!
    Or easier again just tell the dealership you don't want any stickers before the car's PDId. That said, big stickers/badges on paintwork are taking the p1ss a bit, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

That "NO FEAR" dealership sells an awful lot of skangermobiles :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭roosterman71

There's a BMW dealership near me who paint their name and logo into the paintwork on the front wings. A lady brought in here 6 month old 530 for a service,, and came back to see the logo painted on. She gave out yards about them doing it, but they showed here the service contract (or something like that) which she had signed and in the small print it gave them permission to put it on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

I ask them to take them off before I buy. (dont care about the normal back window sticker or plate surround) but anything else I wont have. I have backed out of a sale for a mitsubishi lancer (cant remember the garage, in dub city centre, parnell st area) as they drilled 2 holes in the boot and put on their plastic logo. salesman was not pleased;) Id say he would have slapped me only I was about twice his size:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭Tefral

These signs on windows are actually illegal.

They are classed as unessential window stickers under the construction equipment and use of vehicles act 1963.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

cronin_j wrote: »

They are classed as unessential window stickers under the construction equipment and use of vehicles act 1963.

thats only on the windscreen though surely?

cronin_j wrote: »

Can you point out where exactly this is defined?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0190.html

pred racer wrote: »
    I ask them to take them off before I buy. (dont care about the normal back window sticker or plate surround) but anything else I wont have. I have backed out of a sale for a mitsubishi lancer (cant remember the garage, in dub city centre, parnell st area) as they drilled 2 holes in the boot and put on their plastic logo. salesman was not pleased;) Id say he would have slapped me only I was about twice his size:D

Ah, good old Westbrook Motors. Similar sort of crappy sign on the back of the car as Esmonde's used to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

kbannon wrote: »
    Can you point out where exactly this is defined?
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0190.html

34. (1) Every vehicle and trailer, and all parts and equipment of every vehicle and trailer, shall be maintained in good and efficient working order, and shall be such and so maintained that no danger is liable to be caused thereby.

(2) Without prejudice to the generality of sub-article (1) of this article—

(a) all steering gear shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall be properly adjusted;

(b) all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle shall be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven and shall be kept free of inessential objects or inessential stickers;

Advertisement