Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a Draft under Front Door

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,
    I am looking for some advice on how to deal with a bad draft under my front door. I have a window insulation guy replacing hinges and seals on my windows at the minute and asked him about the front door. He said that as the door is Teak that there is not much that can be done with it bar getting a new door and threshold fitted but said he does not work with timber doors himself.
    Has anyone experience with the same problem. If so, how was it solved? Thanks in advance,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

I had the same problem with a slightly warped Teak front door. I knew there was a problem but never really got round to fixing it until recently.

I bought draught sealer strips(brown) from Aldi for €2.99 and now I'm sorted.

Very easy to fit. Its basically just foam strips that you stick to your door. The foam helps provide a more airtight seal when the door is closed.

However if you have major gaps & draughts around the door then this may not be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

If the door is badly warped there probably isn't much that can be done. If it is only a case of the gap being too big under the door the best solution would be to fit a hyper-bar (draft seal) for this, the door would need to be taken down and a small piece cut off the bottom of the door to fit the hyper-bar and then re-hang the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

Thanks Lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

You could take the door down route a groove around it then put the same type of brush that you use for draught-proofing sash windows then at the bottom use one of those brushes (you get these in any hardware shop) that rub off the floor.

Advertisement