Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

help-blew a gasket

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

my 98 megane 1.6 blew the head gasket over the w-end.
    Car has been outside the house since,with no car and no cash at the moment to buy another car i'm screwed,
    If i keep the oil topped up and do little runs(kid to school etc)no more than a mile or two how long will i get out of it b4 it packs it in.
    Thanks
    Went for a small spin today,keep the revs down at 1500 and only got a small bit of smoke but it was a bit jumpy.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Unfortunately it'll bite you soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

Unfortunately it'll bite you soon enough.

i know it's a bit of a guessing game but would you say days or weeks

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

to be on the safe side, I'd go with seconds or if you are lucky, minutes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

If you drive it you'll bust the engine for sure. For a short term rescue try dumping some Rad seal ( 2 bottles atleast ) into the coolant bottle, it might or might not work for a little while.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    If you drive it you'll bust the engine for sure. For a short term rescue try dumping some Rad seal ( 2 bottles atleast ) into the coolant bottle, it might or might not work for a little while.

thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It really depends on the gasket. Is the plan to do it at some stage or just to run the car into the ground? Is it mixing coolant into the oil, or is it just coming out the exhaust as steam?

Anan1 wrote: »
    It really depends on the gasket. Is the plan to do it at some stage or just to run the car into the ground? Is it mixing coolant into the oil, or is it just coming out the exhaust as steam?

doesn't seem to be mixing,oil seems normal ,
    i plan to run it in to ground untill i get the cash for new motor together in 2 weeks,
    just got to love the credit union,bank told me to head on and i work in a bank

How do you know that the head gasket's gone? Give us as much detail as possible, what fluids are disappearing, any external leaks, how the car's running, colour of smoke, etc etc.

Anan1 wrote: »
    How do you know that the head gasket's gone? Give us as much detail as possible, what fluids are disappearing, any external leaks, how the car's running, colour of smoke, etc etc.

well it overheated as i was driving last Friday,i had ran out of coolant,had to drive about 8 miles to garage.
    There seems to be white or light smoke coming out of the exhaust when i put the foot down at all.
    It's eating oil like mad even tough i've only driven a couple of miles since.
    After turning off the engine it's dripping a bit of petrol also

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dripping petrol? :eek:
    Don't drive it at all then!

• Advertisement

Did you drive the 8 miles without coolant? Is it still going through coolant too, or just oil? The dripping petrol bit sounds very worrying - are you sure it's petrol? Where's it coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

all in all, it doesn't sound like the kind of transportation I'd use for my children

the dripping petrol is a seperate issue,
    the seal is slighltly loose on the fuel line/tube,i'll sort that myself this avo.
    It doesn't seem to be loseing much coolant just oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

heavyballs wrote: »
    the dripping petrol is a seperate issue,
    the seal is slighltly loose on the fuel line/tube,i'll sort that myself this avo.
    It doesn't seem to be loseing much coolant just oil

Leaking fuel line is dangerous, you dont want a fire ffs.

craichoe wrote: »
    Leaking fuel line is dangerous, you dont want a fire ffs.

did you not read above,i have now fixed that,it has probably been like for a while,i only checked due to this other problem i had

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

heavyballs wrote: »
    ...,i had ran out of coolant,had to drive about 8 miles to garage.

Wow. 8 miles ! That must be a record of some sort to keep going that long without coolant.............air-cooled Megane, anyone.........??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement