Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

List of things that cause LyX compilation errors

• 21-10-2009 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I have encountered a lot of errors in compiling LyX files. I noticed a few things that cause them. I thought it would be useful to have a thread listing things that will prevent compilation in LyX.

The following things prevent comilation in my experience:

-A very long comment
    -A comment inside a caption
    -Using backslashes to represent special characters in the bib file

Feel free to add to this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

underscores in bib files cause a compile error, with absolutely no indication of the source, it appears.

not a compile error, but cross references to figures will reference the section number instead of the figure number if the label is inserted before the caption, rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

pwd wrote: »
    -Using backslashes to represent special characters in the bib file
    pwd wrote: »
    underscores in bib files cause a compile error, with absolutely no indication of the source, it appears.
    I don't use LyX, but Latex should be able to deal with special characters in a BIB file. I've used all sorts of crazy crap in my BIB files (a little creativity is sometimes required) without any problems (yet)!

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't use LyX, but Latex should be able to deal with special characters in a BIB file. I've used all sorts of crazy crap in my BIB files (a little creativity is sometimes required) without any problems (yet)!
    I don't know. I've never used native LaTeX apart from tiny snippets. It could be something to do with the configuration of my LyX/MiKTeX installations, but changing these things definitely stopped compilation errors in several instances for me.

using multicols stops most floats from rendering on publish.
    multicols is used to switch between columns settings inside the same page.
    You can work around this by using multicols only on the pages where you switch (although you still can't use floats as normal in those pages).

• Advertisement
Advertisement