Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foot Paths

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

The guy I got to do my footpaths appears to have angle grinded 2 lines in the paths. He says these are expansions joints. These two lines are each side of a corner. (All other corners were ignored and the 18m stretch at the rear is one continuous run). Just thought it was a bit strange and random, not to mention it looks crap.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Cutting expansion joints in paths is ok, but I would still look at sealing them with bituminous mastic. He is right at cutting them at the corners of the house, as there is more chance of cracking at this location.
    The 18m run sounds a bit long not to have a joint, but I'll have to look up the exact recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'd put expansion joints in every 6m, same as with blockwork. So you'll need 2 in the 18m stretch - which will look evenly spaced & neat.
    I'd agree with gman2k regarding bitumen mastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I was just wondering if there is anyway to coverup animal footprints and other marks on footpaths?

At the rear of the house there are alot of wildlife footprints and other markings. I was wondering is it possible to cover these up. Or is it simply a case of taking up the path and repouring it?

Cheers

Too late now of course, but paths should be protected and covered immediately after being laid until they are cured.
    In your case, it's either put, or cut up!
    Patching small indents will always show, even if you scabble out a deeper pocket for the infill. You could try one area and see how it works out.

would it be possible to reshutter the paths so they are slightly larger and higher an pour the concrete over them? Thus we end up with slightly larger footpaths?

Or is there a minimum depth that paths need to be poured at?

• Advertisement

I would say anything less than 50mm on top of existing would be a no go IMO, and the surface underneath would need to be spotless, and possibly even scabbled some more.

Cheers, I'll talk to the guy who did the foot paths and see what can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 sparkey1

If cars are going to be driving on the footpaths you would probably need about 100mm or 4 inches in depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

ninjaBob wrote: »
    would it be possible to reshutter the paths so they are slightly larger and higher an pour the concrete over them? Thus we end up with slightly larger footpaths?

Or is there a minimum depth that paths need to be poured at?

There should be a minimum of 150mm between your finished internal floor level / DPC and the top of the footpath. Helps to prevent damp penetration.

Advertisement