Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1999 Lexus GS300 - reliable or nightmare?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 3:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hello all,

I have been seen a used Lexus GS300

81000 miles

2 owners

NCT until end of 2011.

I know that it is old but the mileage is relatively low and being a LEXUS/TOYOTA it should be reliable.

It is listed at EUR5200 so I would expect to buy it for less than EUR5000.

I would appreciate peoples views.

Would it be reasonable to expect a couple of years troublefree motoring from this car or would I be buying myself a lot of problems.

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Should be fine, they're generally fair bulletproof. Make sure the gears change smoothly etc. You'd see 29mpg with a fairly light foot. Tax is steep enough. You'd really need a full service history to buy one though. €5200 is a bit overpriced imo, more €4500 region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It should be pretty ok with a FSH. But €5200 is way too much. I'd nearly try and find a nice E39 530i/d like this.

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It should be pretty ok with a FSH. But €5200 is way too much. I'd nearly try and find a nice E39 530i/d

The fuel economy would be about 20% worse than the GS because of the 530's autobox though. I do agree that €5k would get you a much better luxobarge then a '99 GS300.

'02 530d

Btw if you're thinking of a 5 series make sure you get one later than '01 (or at least an '01 with clear indicators) as the car was comprehensively updated in mid '01. €5k will easily get you an '02 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah they are fairly bulletproof alright, timing belt is due at 90,000 so that can be a bit pricey at a main dealer,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd imagine you could weld the bonnet shut and drive it for another 100k miles without any problems. An over-engineered Jap car is a recipe for reliability!

• Advertisement
Advertisement