Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow internet / network

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

Problem: My wireless network connection regularly drop to 120kbps,
    It's not a problem with the service (UPC 20mb) as FTP transfers around the house also are effected. So local and internet traffic effected.

Im using windows 7, d-link pci wireless card. Have tried with another usb adaptor , same thing. Issue started yesterday.Nothing has changed setup wise or installed programs wise. Other pc's here are nto effected.

I use comodo firewall and avira. Have tried leaving them switched off.

Have updated drivers, works fine for a while if i reboot or disable and enable the NIC in device manager but always creeps back down to 120kb or less.

Using OPEN DNS on the router (standard UPC netgear one) be as said other pc's not effected.

Now the kicker, I had this same problem on and off with Vista and while using another router. Then i installed windows 7 (clean install) and it went away till yesterday :mad:

So ruling out (in my opinion) OS , hardware, and virues (also scaned using spybot etc etc) what does that leave????

Really pulling my hair out over this one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

What antivirus/firewall software are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

As i mentioned , using avira / comodo, windows firewall off, av in comodo off.

Have tried leaving all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

calex71 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

Problem: My wireless network connection regularly drop to 120kbps,
    It's not a problem with the service (UPC 20mb) as FTP transfers around the house also are effected. So local and internet traffic effected.

Im using windows 7, d-link pci wireless card. Have tried with another usb adaptor , same thing. Issue started yesterday.Nothing has changed setup wise or installed programs wise. Other pc's here are nto effected.

I use comodo firewall and avira. Have tried leaving them switched off.

Have updated drivers, works fine for a while if i reboot or disable and enable the NIC in device manager but always creeps back down to 120kb or less.

Using OPEN DNS on the router (standard UPC netgear one) be as said other pc's not effected.

Now the kicker, I had this same problem on and off with Vista and while using another router. Then i installed windows 7 (clean install) and it went away till yesterday :mad:

So ruling out (in my opinion) OS , hardware, and virues (also scaned using spybot etc etc) what does that leave????

Really pulling my hair out over this one.

Could it be another wireless network close by on the same channel, that definitely slows down wireless networks, also other 2.4ghz devices can interfere too, wii console remotes, wireless tv senders i have seen slowing network down, try connecting direct to the router with cable and see how it works. Is it a home network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭cormon

I am assuming that all other PC's in the house are not affected so this is not a ISP or Wi-Fi router issue.

Disalbe the encryption on the W--Fi AP and test throughput on your problematic to see if the encryption is causing your bottleneck.

Check you Wi-Fi nework card's mtu is ok ( you can use Dr Tcp for this). You may be sending packets that are too big/small which can result in slowdowns.

Ensure that your Wi-Fi AP and your problematic wi-fi are using the same 802.11b/g channels as the rest of the functioning wifi cards in the house.

HTH,

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Check that someone nearby isn't using your connection. Just a slight possibility. Check the status of internet connection sharing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

check the affected pc is still connected to your own network too, i seen in my own setup a pc connecting to a nearby unsecured network and then only noticed when tried to play quake on my lan and could`t connect to other pc`s. Unlikely to be the problem but slightly possible

Advertisement