Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Import Advice What to buy???

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi all ,

Need advice on what car to get basically I have a 2004 nissan almera and want something fast and fun to drive.

Have my heart set on a Nissan Silvia love the shape and supposed to be very quick but I have heard they are very high maintenance and you need to know your stuff when buying one.

Love this one below but its a bit hardcore with a full roll cage and all for everyday use

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3458331#

Budget is around 5 or 6 has to be a dealer really as I dont have time to wait around and sell the almera privately.

Any advice is appreciated Cheers:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Johnaldinioh

Have a look at a hundyai tiburon very nice car and fast also consider supra much faster than silvia. I know someone that has silvia and alot of trouble with it .
    Also look at mx 5 not as fast but very fun to drive
    Honda integra
    Subaru wrx
    honda del sol
    hope this helps some bit

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

you'll be hard pushed to find a dealer with a 200sx/silvia in a dealers that will take your almera as a trade in.

The uk spec 200sx is a very reliable car, as any turbo car it will need maintenance , oil change every 5k or so, filter changes and other things.

The reliability will depend on the modifications carried out, stage 1 200sx's will be very reliable and easy to run compared to say and evo or an sti impreza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

The best advice on a jap import right now is don't.

A UK equivalent car can be bought for substantially less and can be just as clean if your picky.

Reasons:
    • Uk Car market is fooked making high emission cars very cheap
    • A 200sx is the same car as a silvia
    • Vrt on "cars first registered in japan" is substantially higher
    • The yen is also very strong

www.sxoc.co.uk
    www.pistonheads.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Ger_G

Cheers lads ,love subarus but cant get insured on an sti im 22 has anyone had experiences with elite autos in galway?? What do yee think of the one I posted looks great but driven 2 **** id say??

Keeping away from civics , integras , hyundai is nice but not what im after

Also looking at a wide arched 1.6 subaru but I reckon itl be too slow so scrapped that idea

Are silvias very heavy on the juice? what would the Almera fetch privately roughly?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Silvias tend to be around 25mpg. A good bit less if driving on, and up into the 30's is achievable with motorway driving.

I would go with a 200sx over a silvia for the reasons mentioned above, but rust is becoming a big issue with them now all being at least 10years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Had a 200sx S13. Great car. Subaru's are pretty cool too.
    Driving one at the moment. Check out www.isdc.ie
    You'd pick up a cheap well minded one there, plus the lads are
    very helpful with advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

argosy2006 wrote: »

lol you not seriuos! comparing turbo RWD import with ALFA :D

You can get a really nice 200sx for 5-6k m8. It will be alot cheaper to insure aswell.

but be carefull, get a qoute first as alot of insurance companies realised that s14=200sx, took the mawile thought :D

As an alternative:

mx5 - i got one myself, its with LSD 1.8 and 6speed gearbox. Its not about 1/4 mile speed, but handling. and donuts ofc :D.
    If "the more hp" bug will bite you, you can buy bolt on kit for 3k eu ( full kit with engine managment, ecu), which will bring mx5 to nice 180 whp. Or if you have some experience as mechanic, you could make your own kit for around 1.5k eu.

Subaru leagacy/impreza - sweat cars, i could listen for boxer engine sounds 24/7. thought you should really get it inspected well, and if you decide to go for legacy, make sure its mapped for irish fuel.

If you not after RWD, i would suggest some Hondas. you just cant beat them...

Get yourself an Accord type-r or intega type-r then ;)

Hope this will help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

If you could get insured on one I'd highly recommend a V6 MIVEC Mitsubishi FTO (2.0L).
    There's also a 1.8 non-MIVEC model which would be lighter on insurance.

I've owned one and it was absolutely awesome.
    I'd have no problem buying one again.

200BHP without any of the problems you get with turbos.
    They look great too.
    I picked up a 1995 one for £1400STG which is an ridiculously low price for what you're getting.

Power, handling, looks, the FTO's got it all.
    Plus they're pretty rare on Irish roads, unlike most other jap weapons of choice.

Cheers for that but dont wanna be another ponce in an ALFA!! FTO's are great value for money good suggestion but not what Im after I might take a trip to Elte Autos Saturday and check out that Silvia big powerful and RWD

What should I look out for when buying one rust everywere etc?? Will bring someone who knows there stuff

Insurance is sorted 200sx or Silvia same price for me on Quinn direct so no worry there the only thing annoying me is the Almera and how much ill get for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Rust is usually only an issue on English 200sxs, not really an issue on a Jap import Silvia.

The VVT chain can rattle in them upon startup, but it does no damage from what I've read. Its only the noise that gets annoying.

Check for signs that the turbo could be on the way out. If its Jap or if it is modded, check that it has been mapped properly for Irish fuel or it could end up blowing up (although that goes for any petrol turbo car really).

Check out www.sxoc.com for info on what to look out for on them. Really helpful on there

Ger_G wrote: »

What should I look out for when buying one rust everywere etc?? Will bring someone who knows there stuff

Insurance is sorted 200sx or Silvia same price for me on Quinn direct so no worry there the only thing annoying me is the Almera and how much ill get for it

Do your research if you dont know wait until you do.
    as above www.sxoc.com

As for mpg you get about 30-35mpg depending on how you drive. You can empty the tank allot quicker than that if you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I'm a lover of the Soarer, They wouldnt set you back toom much. If that doesnt tickle your fancy then an r33 skyline tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

that car you linked is a drift spec.

not intended for the roads tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I'd get a gtir pulsar :)

standered nothing done to it.

Id then spend the rest of my money makeing it fast
    Koni or ohlins suspension.
    have the rurbo rebuilt
    add some alcon stoppers.
    front mounted intercooler.
    Then go to dp moter sport for the day and let them do what they do best.

I can garintee you bang for buck the pulsar does it every time.... with a mongoose exhuast sounds amazing but be warned.

they drink petrol

and carry road pressence like no other car... for little money..

Hi all ,

Need advice on what car to get basically I have a 2004 nissan almera and want something fast and fun to drive.

Have my heart set on a Nissan Silvia love the shape and supposed to be very quick but I have heard they are very high maintenance and you need to know your stuff when buying one.

Love this one below but its a bit hardcore with a full roll cage and all for everyday use

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=3458331#

Budget is around 5 or 6 has to be a dealer really as I dont have time to wait around and sell the almera privately.

Any advice is appreciated Cheers:)

that's 5k without VRT btw

If your budget is 5-6k i wouldn't buy a turbo Nissan without another 2k in reserve.

Yes iv owned one and they are not a car to have on a tight budget. Especially if you cant do the work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'd get a gtir pulsar :)
    and carry road pressence like no other car... for little money..

Are you having a laugh? Not being disparaging about the actual performance of the car....but road presence? In a little hatchback?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

meant to have serious problems too. i do have a soft spot for them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Are you having a laugh? Not being disparaging about the actual performance of the car....but road presence? In a little hatchback?

I see what your saying imo they do there un mistakeable. how many evos and scoobys do you see on the road? load there just a car at this stage the gtir is ugly as fook but just soemthing about it when your driving on people seem to just gawk at them :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

I wouldnt buy the car you linked anyway as thats full drift spec and more than likely has had very very hard milage put up on it. Youll prob have troubles down the line trying to NCT it and everything.

For 5-6k you could get a clean 98 Spec Integra Type R. You could get a Uk spec for cheaper.

If i were set on a sylvia id wait and save another 2.5k and then try haggle with someone for an S15, much more modern looking, better engine and turbo too, 6gears too which is handy for motorway driving and seriously comfortable.

Skylines are going for a dime a dozen these days. 2.5 R33's are thristy though and tax is massive on them.

If your going down the "Hot Hatch" route then there is always
    Integra Type R,
    Civic Type R,
    Nissan Pulsar VZR N1's. (seriously underestimated car)
    The above are seriously grippy cars and are serious fun to drive.

Id stay clear of these myself but worth considering:

Levins
    SiR Civics and Integras

• Advertisement

Well the budget isnt too strict but im fond of the owld drink etc , paddy power has been good to me the last few weeks though :) the one i listed is a bit mental but a full roll cage is a bit too much was looking at s15's alright nice car if you can get a clean one , drove pulsars great car to drive but doesnt have the looks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

Well the budget isnt too strict but im fond of the owld drink etc , paddy power has been good to me the last few weeks though :) the one i listed is a bit mental but a full roll cage is a bit too much was looking at s15's alright nice car if you can get a clean one , drove pulsars great car to drive but doesnt have the looks

A uk/Irish spec s14 (standard) will be cheaper to buy and insure than an s15 import. It would also allow you to become accustomed to rwd.

Then you could use the money you saved to do a slight rebuild on the engine and mod it. Then you would have a fast, comfortable and reliable car.

The sxoc.com is a great source of info.

I have a s14a btw.

Advertisement