Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLips to cover Dark Side of the Moon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭rororoyourboat

Eeeee! That's gonna be class!

What does everyone think of Embryonic? I really like it, very Can. Watching the Planets is an amazing closing track.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Eeeee! That's gonna be class!

What does everyone think of Embryonic? I really like it, very Can. Watching the Planets is an amazing closing track.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055706754 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

:apprehensive:
    I dunno really....I ADORE Pink Floyd, and hate seeing people butcher their songs, and I've sat through Dream Theater's version of DSOTM, and it was not impressive. I do like Flaming Lips a lot so hopefully they'll pull through.

Surely The Flaming lips are a lot more Floyd-y than Dream Theatre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

El Pr0n wrote: »

Definitely. Although, Easy-Star All-Stars arn't very Floyd-y, and their Dub Side of the Moon is pretty good!

• Advertisement

Definitely. Although, Easy-Star All-Stars arn't very Floyd-y, and their Dub Side of the Moon is pretty good!

Radiodread was great too :cool:

But Easy Star All-Stars are a cover band (And a really good one), Dream Theatre......... *ahem* aren't :P

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

I am pretty dubious about the idea, I too love the floyd, but DSOTM without the voices will sound strange to me. The Flaming Lips version of DSOTM cannot be a tribute band version, and any truely radical departure will be derided as blasphemy, or maybe not. Wayne Coyne wrote a forward to a Q Magazine Special Edition on the Floyd 5 years ago, where he recalled doing a cover version of Wish You Were Here back in 1985. I suppose I will give it a listen, :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

El Pr0n wrote: »

Yes definitely, doesn't mean it's a good formula though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I'm looking forward to this one. I'm not too gone on the idea of bands covering albums in full (especially true classics like DSOTM), but I'm going to make an exception here - one of my favourite bands covering one of my favourite albums also. Hard to believe Dark Side is older than myself. Must have sounded so off the wall back then, still does today in a way. A true classic!!

Advertisement