Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Travelling to madrid by car

Options
  • 20-10-2009 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever done anything like this ?

I would be interested to hear if they did i would like to take 2 weeks off work in january take the missus and the baby to her brothers in madrid paln to stay in motels and b+b's

How long would it take to drive and does anyone have a itinery of places to stay enroute to madrid

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Dublin to Madrid flights can be got for free in January

Look up its Aer Lingus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

SpringerF wrote: »
    Dublin to Madrid flights can be got for free in January

Look up its Aer Lingus

Where's the fun in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

have a look on www.viamichelin.co.uk for some route ideas, they say there's a ferry from Rosslare to northern Spain but I'm not sure that such a service exists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

My aunty lives in Madrid, something you should be aware of is the weather can get real bad, last Jan they had a lot of snow in northern spain and Madrid. I wouldn't fancy driving through all that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if you really drive at (sticking to speed limits and not getting held up too much) it im sure you can get there in 2 days.

it does sound like good fun :)

or then again if you pull off a top gear stunt you'd have a chance of getting there within one day :rolleyes:

just took a quick glance at google maps. they recommend you go Wales then to france (both by boat) but i think it would be a bit smarter to go Rosslare to France then drive the rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

Google maps do a very good route planner with lots of places to eat and sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

Thanx i will have a look just wish i had a diesel and spoke a bit of french ans spainish but i suppose everyone speaks a little english

Just a word on driving on the right is it easy enough to adapt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I regularly drive to Denmark. This summer i even made it into Sweden, sticking 6500 km on the clock in about 2 weeks.

Gives you heck of a lot more flexibility, you don't get ****ty rental cars and you get there in the pace you want yourself.

Especially with a kid, you can get out from the motorway whenever it suits yourself for food etc. You also don't have the airport stress.

You can either take the ferries from Dublin, Dun Laoghaire or Rosslare to the UK, then set over from Dover to Calais. Don't use the channel tunnel, it costs more than twice the price of the ferry, ferry goes every 60 or 90 minutes and takes 90 minutes to get across, while the train through the tunnel is 35 minutes.

You can also take the ferry from Rosslare or Cork to France, but that's a 17 hour journey and I'm not fond of being stuck on the ferry for that long.

France has a lot of toll roads, be also aware, that they check your speed based on average speed check between the toll bridges.

Google Maps and Via Michelin are very good to get an initial idea of distance and route to take, but I'd recommend to take a navigation system with you. You can get them cheap at Lidl or Aldi and it's well worth it. Personally I use the nav in my Nokia phone with a bluetooth gps receiver.

As for money, most countries you'll cross will be EUR, with the exception of the UK. But you'd be able to use a credit card pretty much everywhere. Most petrol stations in the UK also take Maestro these days, which means Laser will work, too.

As for driving on the right side of the road: it's not that bad. Just make sure you get on the right side, when you come out of petrol-stations or side-roads and you'll be fine.

Hope it helps. I think road-trips are underrated. I'm planning a trip to Croatia next year.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Drove from London to Benidorm (South Spain) in the summer. The journey didnt take too long. Drove from London to Paris (5-6 Hours) If i remember right. Paris to Benidorm (12 Hours). Average Speed 103mph. The roads there are more than capable of it, the Police dont enforce the speed limit. Nor do the locals drive at it, roughly the vast majority of cars we met drove at 90-95mph. In Ireland that kind of speed would be dangerous, there however it's more than safe. Trust me you will know what i mean when you get there!!
    Driving on the left hand side is easy too, no worries as your on motorway 99% of the time, even when you come off it wont take long to get used 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I read somewhere, possibly here, that authorities in France are very strict, and you must have a hi-vis jacket or vest of some sort. In the event of a roadside breakdown, I presume.

• Advertisement

DamoRed wrote: »
    I read somewhere, possibly here, that authorities in France are very strict, and you must have a hi-vis jacket or vest of some sort. In the event of a roadside breakdown, I presume.

That's legislation in quite a few countries now, for example also Denmark. If i'm not totally wrong it was passed as EU legislation and has to be implemented in all EU countries.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DamoRed wrote: »

You are required to have stickers on your headlights, a breakdown triangle etc. Apparently it's the law, they sell compliance kits on the ferry though. The kit sells for about €15 though I forgot to buy one I probably will next time.

Morlar wrote: »
    You are required to have stickers on your headlights, a breakdown triangle etc. Apparently it's the law, they sell compliance kits on the ferry though. The kit sells for about €15 though I forgot to buy one I probably will next time.

Again. You should have that in your car, even in Ireland :)

The stickers are only, if your lights haven't been adjusted for continental europe and are assymetric. Most car lights are assymetric and light the side of the road better up than the center of the road. On the continent you'd blind people with that. That's why you should apply the stickers. And yes, the police can give you hassle over it.

/M

Which of course we all have :)

If you want to be super-safe you can also get sticker overlays for the interior windscreen to remind you which way the roundabout works.

This sounds very silly but are probably not a bad idea either as despite what you may think years of habit can fuddle your brain if you are doing lots of driving, stopping and parking and driving some more, obviously if you stick to motorways - not worth the €2 or whatever.

If you want to be super-safe you can also get sticker overlays for the interior windscreen to remind you which way the roundabout works.

You only need that, if you can't read the signs in the roundabout :) Even in this country, there's an arrow indicating what way to go in a roundabout.
    This sounds very silly but are probably not a bad idea either as despite what you may think years of habit can fuddle your brain if you are doing lots of driving, stopping and parking and driving some more, obviously if you stick to motorways - not worth the €2 or whatever.

Most rental cars here in Ireland have a sticker on the dash or the steering coloum to remind the tourists that they should drive on the left. It helps initially. Best is just a bit more concentration though and just read the signs.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    You only need that, if you can't read the signs in the roundabout

Technically - yes. In reality years of driving on the other side of the road build up habits which are deep set & hard to totally break once you hit the continent. This is especially the case if you are covering distances and stopping for an hour or two here or there, distracted by navigating and sightseeing etc.
    Best is just a bit more concentration though and just read the signs.

Yes, yes, obviously you need to concentrate this should go without saying really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You're all overlooking one important point!
    scudzilla wrote: »
    My aunty lives in Madrid, something you should be aware of is the weather can get real bad, last Jan they had a lot of snow in northern spain and Madrid. I wouldn't fancy driving through all that

yes ...and then there would also be the minor matter of the Pyrenees to cross ...you know Andorra, where Irish people go to ski.

You would absolutely have to have winter tyres and some experience in winter driving to attempt that journey in January.

I woulnd't subject my family to risk if I didn't absolutely have to

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭nialler

Hi Luckyfrank

Great idea and sounds like a great adventure and I'm sure ya love driving. It would work out cheaper flying trust me. And another thing you've got to consider you're driving on the opposite side of the road in your own car, not a rental so steering wheel on the wrong side, you've got missus and baby sitting in the car when you require that little bit more concentration, what happens if baby is crying on a 10-12 hour drive, that wouldn't be a pleasant experience, it was something that I've always wanted to do but now that I'm 40, 1 adult daughter and one in her late teens I still wouldn't bring them, it's something you do on your own or with your mates (preferably to the nordichlief (sp?).

Get the plane, cheaper, less hassle and everybody will be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

You don't need to go near the Pyrenees to get to Madrid from the west coast of France.

The mose convenient way to do this trip with a family is to take the boat from Rosslare to Roacoff/Cherbourg. Arrive in France after a nights sleep on the boat ready for road.

Driving at a steady 130/140kmh you will average 100kms/hr for the journey. Depending on how long you want to drive for you shuld aim for either Bordeaux (~7 hrs) or San Sebastian/Bilbao (9/10 hrs)on your first night.

Depending on the above Madrid is either a long or short half day from there.

As someone has already said - be prepared for bad weather at this time of year; you won't have any problems on the motorways but should you want to go exploring around the place expect snow in high places.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

sounds like a great trip but I wouldn't do it with a baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The hi-viz is a legal requirement in Spain. Both Spain and France require spare bulbs, first aid kit, warning triangle etc. aa et al do websites explaining what is needed.

A couple of years ago, We went Rosslare-Fishguard then Plymouth-Santander in the north of Spain. I wouldn't be relying on people speaking a bit of English, certainly in the Northern (basque) part they barely spoke Spanish, never mind English!!! Made for an interesting week ordering food! Road networks are super. As far as I remember, though, it is illegal to put anything on the inside of your windscreen, including SatNav. I stuck mine to the dash instead, on the passenger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

You'll need a High-vis jacket/vest for every passanger, and you must be able to put them on before leaving the vehicle, so keeping them in the boot's a no-no.

I've heard (second or third hand) that the Spanish police stop foreign cars and ask the driver to get out. If the driver gets out without putting on the high-vis, instant fine. (I've heard this second and thrid hand - I've never seen it myself)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

.......... I think road-trips are underrated.......

/M

Couldn't agree more! I do enough flying to England during the year my hols HAVE to involve driving. As stated you have a lot more flexability, go at your own pace, see the country side etc etc. A bit of planning and common sense and you'll be grand! Oh and get a decent, up-to-date sat nav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Irish_Nomad

D20903 wrote: »
    You don't need to go near the Pyrenees to get to Madrid from the west coast of France.

The mose convenient way to do this trip with a family is to take the boat from Rosslare to Roacoff/Cherbourg. Arrive in France after a nights sleep on the boat ready for road.

Driving at a steady 130/140kmh you will average 100kms/hr for the journey. Depending on how long you want to drive for you shuld aim for either Bordeaux (~7 hrs) or San Sebastian/Bilbao (9/10 hrs)on your first night.

Depending on the above Madrid is either a long or short half day from there.

As someone has already said - be prepared for bad weather at this time of year; you won't have any problems on the motorways but should you want to go exploring around the place expect snow in high places.

I've taken this route before and as he says one overnight stop was enough.
    By the way, if you use Viamichelin it tells you the location of all the French speed cameras en route.

I'm surprised that someone else said snow would be a problem. Anywhere I've lived that is used to snow was very efficient in keeping main routes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm surprised that someone else said snow would be a problem. Anywhere I've lived that is used to snow was very efficient in keeping main routes open.

I'm saying that snow COULD be a problem. It'll be January after all.

Driving long distance in wintery conditions (even if the roads are being cleared) is no fun at all. It becomes even less fun when you don't have winter tyres and it stops being fun altogether if you get stuck for hours in a big snowy traffic jam on a motorway in the middle of nowhere with a crying baby in the back.

Not saying this will happen ...but it could.

I'd take the plane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭biggus

I got return Flights and a hertz BMW 318d for 12 days for just over a Grand in August, Consider flying: rent a car with the steering wheel on the correct side (its much easier to adapt to driving on the other side when the wheel is in the right place )
    Then when your're in Spain drive up to A Coruna or somewhere else nice for the sense of adventure.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

We went on holdidays to Perpignon in France a few years ago. For those of you who dont follow rugby, Perpignon is right down on the France/Spain border, on the Med coast.

We got the ferry from Rosslare (just so happened that we live in Rosslare) at around 6 in the evening. This means that you arrive in Cherbourg at around 10am the following morning, giving you a good few hours for the road.

After getting off the ferry, we drove from Cherbourg to La Rochelle, and stayed overnight there. On the road at 7am the next morning, and by 12 we were at our destination.

While there, we did drive to Andorra, but be aware - the roads there are very bendy, on the side of a mountain, and usually full of potholes.

Anyhow, from La Rochelle, you'd head for Bordeaux, and from there into Spain. The roads are mostly great, 3/4 lane motorways the whole way down, but as someone already pointed out, there are lots of tolls, which are EXPENSIVE. Our total for tolls came to around €150 return IIRC. I'd imagine it would be a bit more when heading into Spain.

For an idea of time, it took us around 8 hours to drive to La Rochelle from Cherbourg. Bordeaux is around another 3 hours from there. I'd imagine Madrid would be at least another 8 hours from there. Lots of driving, but as I said, the roads are great. None of the usual sleepy cnuts in the outside lanes, no lorries overtaking each other, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The roads are mostly great, 3/4 lane motorways the whole way down, but as someone already pointed out, there are lots of tolls, which are EXPENSIVE. Our total for tolls came to around €150 return IIRC. I'd imagine it would be a bit more when heading into Spain.

Jesus, did they build a road for you for that? I've gone from Biarritz to Roscoff for less than €20, and only some of the motorway in the NE of Spain were tolled that I could see. (from Pals to Barcelona)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Will you also need to get beam benders fitted?
    Technically - yes. In reality years of driving on the other side of the road build up habits which are deep set & hard to totally break once you hit the continent.

Especially if you're still in a RHD car. I had to think twice pulling out of junctions when I was in the States, and that was when I was sitting on the correct side of the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement