Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 pedestrian bridge closure

Options
  • 20-10-2009 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

Seen a sign up there today when walking through. It's closed on the dates above. Mentions something about a free bus every 15 mins.

FYI anyone who might use it.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Random wrote: »
    Seen a sign up there today when walking through. It's closed on the dates above. Mentions something about a free bus every 15 mins.

FYI anyone who might use it.

Bummer, that means my daughter wont be able to get the train to school for a while :mad:. Guess I'm back into the traffic chaos for a couple of weeks unless that bus is any use.
    The trip the bus would have to make could take forever the way the roundabout is at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

She has the option of Phoenix Park station? Only 15 mins from the tennis club MAX.

Agree about the bus ... I found that bit funny :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We tried Phoenix Park but its too far a walk with a ridiculously heavy school bag on her back (Will schools ever get sense wrt the weight of bags?!!).
    Plus she would generally be unlikely to have company on that walk, whereas there are always other children from the school wlaking along the canal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Do you think they'll let me take my bike on the bus ? I was only thinking the last time I used it, Monday, that it would be closing soon as there was lots of ground work around it. I thought they would have something temporary one in nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I rang the M50 office to ask about this. They weren't very well informed and had to call me back twice.

The first call back was to direct me to Dublin Bus about the bus service - I guessed that this was probably wrong info but I ignored it. Then I asked about the dates (pretended that I didn't know them) and the call back for that told me that the closure was being cancelled!
    Jip wrote: »
    I thought they would have something temporary one in nearby.
    They would have something temporary for a roadway, but not for 2nd/3rd class road users that pedestrians and cyclists are. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I just received the following in an email from Joan Burton TD
    Dear Councillor/Deputy,

You may become aware of a notice in this week's edition of the
    Blanchardstown Gazette informing the public of the proposed closure of
    the pedestrian bridge over the M50 at Castleknock from the 23rd October
    to 15th November to facilitate ongoing works on the M50 upgrade scheme
    at the Blanchardstown Interchange. Due to unforeseen engineering
    difficulties with existing services in the environs of the pedestrian
    bridge, it is not proposed to proceed with the temporary closure of the
    pedestrian bridge at this time.

The members will be kept informed of the position in relation to these
    works as soon as possible.

Tommie McManus
    Administrative Officer
    Transportation Department

Cheers lads, so it looks like the closure is off.

Daymobrew, you're dead right, by bike the alternative is to dice with traffic on the N3 or through Castleknock which isn't a whole lot better at rush hour.

I'd hate to be a cyclist along that route these days, they really are treated as 4th class road users. I cant imagine Dublin Bus would allow you to carry your bike on the free shuttle service, so you'll have to take an alternative and much longer route.

Gaspode wrote: »
    I'd hate to be a cyclist along that route these days, they really are treated as 4th class road users. I cant imagine Dublin Bus would allow you to carry your bike on the free shuttle service, so you'll have to take an alternative and much longer route.
    I highly doubt that DB would be the ones to provide the shuttle service.
    If they didn't allow bikes then I'd be down there, with kid on bike seat, to create a fuss. What's Joe Duffy's number? :p

I know someone in the tennis club who is part of the discussions between the M50 people and the tennis club. He has been keeping me up to date about the route of the pedestrian bridge. It is complicated because the tennis club land boundary is changing (they lost some land on one side and are getting some on the other).

The original plan was for a really long route around the boundary, eventually coming up at the junction of Old Navan Road and Beechpark Ave.
    You can see part of the route in the junction graphic (it's to left and bottom left of the roundabout - I can highlight it if anyone wants).

I take it then Daymo from your comments that that envisage route will now not be the chosen one ? I don't think cyclists would mind the extra distance too much but I doubt pedestrians would be too impressed.

• Advertisement

Jip wrote: »
    I take it then Daymo from your comments that that envisage route will now not be the chosen one ? I don't think cyclists would mind the extra distance too much but I doubt pedestrians would be too impressed.
    I don't think that a new route has been finalised.

The original route had a number of long zig-zags to attain the height required. It would have been tedious for cyclists and just plain long for pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭yimrsg

Saw recently that the pedestrain bridge is going to be closed during Febuary 1st to 28th. There was also mention of the shuttle bus being available through out the closure.

A mod might want to update the thread title.

I crossed that bridge the other night and though I was watching out for them ! didnt see any signs about closure. Are you sure of your information yimrsg?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Gaspode wrote: »
    I crossed that bridge the other night and though I was watching out for them ! didnt see any signs about closure. Are you sure of your information yimrsg?

There's definitely a sign above the "underpass" when your coming from the auburn ave side...

1st feb to 1st march are the new dates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Used the bus shuttle service yesterday on this bridge. Worked fine for us - myself and my daughter - she gets the train to Castleknock and was using this bridge to her primary school.

There were a few children waiting for the bus, and of course they enjoyed the novelty of traveling around together. So for us it's not as bad as we envisioned.

I would imagine its more than a bit of a pain for the many cyclists who used the bridge.

Lets hope they keep to the schedule for the works.

Just read this on Fingals website
    M50 Upgrade
    Pedestrian Bridge over M50 at Castleknock/Blanchardstown
    Notice is hereby given that in order to facilitate ongoing works on the M50 upgrade Scheme at the Blanchardstown Interchange that the Contractors M50 Concession Limited will be closing the pedestrian bridge over the M50 connecting the old Navan Road at Castleknock Tennis Club to the old Navan Road at the 12th Lock Bridge over the Royal Canal from Monday 1st February, 2010 to Monday 1st March, 2010.
    Whilst the pedestrian bridge is closed the Contractos M50 Concession Limited will provide a free Bus service from the 12th Lock Bridge and the Castleknock Tennis Club, Navan Road, Dublin 15 to take pedestrians and cyclists around the site of the M50 upgrade works between Blanchardstown and Auburn Avenue. The Bus service will operate for 24 hours daily at 20 minute intervals between the two locations. Journey times may vary. Any inconvenience caused during the course of the works is regretted.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/TemporaryRoadClosures/PedestrianBridgeoverM50atBlanchardstown/

It would be interesting to see how well that works, by the time you get on the bus, sit in traffic, get to the other side you'd be at work/home.

You'd probably be just as quick to walk around by the canel and down Castleknock Road if you don't get there exactly when the bus is leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭GSF

Does anyone know if it is open again?

Don't think so as I only spotted the UrBus shuttle last Thursday evening, I don't think there's any bridge there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

The bridge is still there.

The end at the tennis club is being worked on. It looks like it's being extended in a new tunnel under the section of road they will probably be putting on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 qbasic

Passed there this morning and the sign is now saying that it will be closed until the 15th of March.

HPT wrote: »
    The bridge is still there.

I went over the flyover at Castleknock twice yesterday and specifically looked out for it and couldn't see it. Either it's blocked by the new construction or you're mistaking the new road section for the bridge ? I'm pretty sure it would have been removed to allow the lifting and raising of the various sections of the new flyover.

Advertisement