Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

finding ip of other pc connected to modem?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have my main pc which is set up for magnet broadband using a telsey modem (not a router I think).
    I have another pc connected to the telsey and it gets assigned a new ip every time I reboot etc.
    Is there any way to find out the ip of the other pc I have connected?
    I have tried ipconfig and it only gives me my main pc.
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

Run ipconfig/ifconfig or set a static ip on the pc you want to know the ip of?

Or check the router dhcp server to see current leases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

did ipconfig and only showing the main ip.
    Its not a router its a modem so can't check DHCP.
    Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

If you know the computer name, ping it, and the ping response will tell you the IP. If you don't know the name, and are using Windows, trying looking at "My Network Places" or equivalent to see if the computer name appears there, then ping it.

Alternatively, there's a program called NBTScan which will scan an ip range for you, listing all devices connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks for the reply.
    I will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

If you run ipconfig it gives you the ip of the machine that you're using.

Your setup doesn't make sense. You can generally only attach one computer to a modem. If you have both computers connected to the device via network cables then it is likely a router.

• Advertisement
Advertisement