Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Celica or Hyundai Coupe?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi Guys,

I havn't driven either of these but I've heard good things about them. I've also heard they're easy to tune. I still like the idea of the 2ltr Hyundai & there are a load of fantastic examples out there with plenty of spec, but I need performance too.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭sleepysniper

Timewaster wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I havn't driven either of these but I've heard good things about them. I've also heard they're easy to tune. I still like the idea of the 2ltr Hyundai & there are a load of fantastic examples out there with plenty of spec, but I need performance too.

Any suggestions?

Depends on what you want more

For performance go for the Celica 190

For looks the Coupe

The Coupe is all show and no go, Celica is pretty highly tuned straight out of the factory with not much room left for after-market tuning, but would be much quicker than the Coupe without a shadow of a doubt.

Best advice is to test drive both of them and see what you perfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Timewaster

I'm also looking at a '02 BMW 320ci M Sport, however, I know these cars inside out & know the problems with them but they are a good car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

Dude,

I'll assume your a guy from your username... but the answer is simple:

Coupe - if your a hairdresser with bleech blonde hair....Seriously have a look around next time you see any coupe...its a girls car man..nothing but chics drive them...plain and simple

Celica(and Im not biased) but I have the t-sport 190 model, awesome drive...you could turn corners all day in them handling is superb!

I havent driven the 140bhp model, but If I were you id opted for the power. Id recommend a test drive. AutoCity in Dub tend to have alot of Celicas if memory serves me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

as sleepysniper says it depends what your after.

Performance, then the Celica 190 is the one to go for the Hyundai doesn't come close.

However if you just want a pretty car that doesn't get anywhere fast then the Hyundai will suit you fine.

Neither car will have much tuning potential, dont believe claims of 210 + bhp from 190 Celica's unless they have a dyno sheet and probably a turbo or supercharger bolted on.

The Celica will give you your usual Na options of induction, exhaust and other non engine orientated mods. I doubt theres much out there for the Hyundai.

HBK wrote: »
    Coupe - if your a hairdresser with bleech blonde hair....Seriously have a look around next time you see any coupe...its a girls car man..nothing but chics drive them...plain and simple

That is true, now that you mention it. I must find a ceila to drive this weekend. Gotta say though, they don't com cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

unless its the new genesis coupe, celica all the way, imo its better in every aspect ;)

Ok, Hyundai is out the window. Anyone with Celicas have any problems? Is mileage a factor with these cars? I know that there are a load of examples out there that have had their fair share of tyre replacements.

Timewaster wrote: »
    Ok, Hyundai is out the window. Anyone with Celicas have any problems? Is mileage a factor with these cars? I know that there are a load of examples out there that have had their fair share of tyre replacements.

By tyre replacements do you mean the rims being shoddy? This happens across the board with them, they chip easily, but its bout 150 to get them fixed, not a biggy
    I havent had any probs with mine apart from a dead headlight(but udner warrenty).
    The 190 model has a timing chain, and not a belt so you dont have to worry about replacing the belt with high mileage.
    There a toyota, and toyotas run forever.
    Ideally if you can get lower mileage, higher price if planning on hanging onto it, altho mine has about 90k on the clock now, for 03, running fine.
    Also, id stay away from silver models 01-03 - alot of recalls, plus the colour is common. Go for black, but almost impossible to find a good one, 140bhp you will get no probs, a good t - sport, near impossoble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

The Coupe is a hairdressers car

The Celica is a barbers car (i.e Male hairdressers) :D

It would to be the toyota for me,more powerful and easier to sell on.

Ya,I'd like to stay away from silver & red. Black would be my colour of choice. The toyota reliability is a very big plus point alright. Ugh, it's really frustrating. I just want a small sports coupe with a bit of punch. Off topic, I drove a smart roadster brabus last week. Good fun, great to drive (kinda like a cooper s)but the gearbox is woeful. I mean TERRIBLE! I think I'd be better off heading across the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

tossy wrote: »
    The Coupe is a hairdressers car

The Celica is a barbers car (i.e Male hairdressers) :D

It would to be the toyota for me,more powerful and easier to sell on.

The last Celica model is at least as girlie as the Coupe.....actually you see more guys in Hyndai Coupes than in Celicas.

On topic I'd go for the Celica, though I've heard that the Coupes handle well enough, but are underpowered

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I agree the last shape celica is a far cry from the celicas of old,esp the WRC one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Celica Tsports rock i have one myself and they are sweet. The orignal Tsport wheels are like cheese though and you can have problems with them buckling so be aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Celica 1.8vvti is underpowered as well, friend has one and its not fast at all, if you like to overtake forget it!!!

Audi TT is what I would get if I want a small coupe with power, loads of 225bhp Quattro's around and they are fast! Loads of torque, all wheel drive and they look well imo.

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Celica 1.8vvti is underpowered as well, friend has one and its not fast at all, if you like to overtake forget it!!!

Audi TT is what I would get if I want a small coupe with power, loads of 225bhp Quattro's around and they are fast! Loads of torque, all wheel drive and they look well imo.

And the TT is known to be one of the most problamatic cars out there!

Now there's a hairdressers car!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Maybe but they at least offer some kind of sporty performance! Celica vvti and Hyundai are all show, I dont have experience with the Hyundai, but the vvti Celica is gutless, you have to kill it to get any performance out of it and its not grippy or in anyway a good handler.TT might be all the above, but performance wise the 225bhp all wheel drive puts those yokes to shame, suppose to handle well too.

Celica SS-Is (Jap Model) have SuperStrut Suspension, so I'd imagine they would handle very well indeed. Agree that the VVTi is underpowered though.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Celica wins hands down, better reliablity and will do a better job at holding some value when the time comes to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    Maybe but they at least offer some kind of sporty performance! Celica vvti and Hyundai are all show, I dont have experience with the Hyundai, but the vvti Celica is gutless, you have to kill it to get any performance out of it and its not grippy or in anyway a good handler.TT might be all the above, but performance wise the 225bhp all wheel drive puts those yokes to shame, suppose to handle well too.

If he wants a Celica with more power he'd be better off with a Celica GT4 (240bhp) than the Audi TT (unless he takes up hair dressing! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

its as simple as this, if you like sausage, then audi tt, or a hyundai coupe.

if your not that way inclined, steer clear of either.

both ****E cars aswell tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Can we please discuss cars on there merits or lack of and not the sexuality or profession of a stereotyped driver

I've settled for a 1.4 Peugot 206 CC. Only joking. I've stumbled accross a little gem I never even considered....Vauxhall VX220. Drove it over the weekend. F**king superb! No boot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Nice choice, was it the 2.2 or 2.0 Turbo?

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Nice choice, was it the 2.2 or 2.0 Turbo?
    2.2. I hear the 2.0 Turbo is savage. I really must be because the 2.2 is unreal. Better that an Elise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

wats insurance like on em, near impossible probably

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

copeyhagen wrote: »
    wats insurance like on em, near impossible probably
    I got a quote on one from 123.ie, same as what im payin on a Teg R.

OP did you buy the VX or just get a spin in one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Timewaster wrote:
    I hear the 2.0 Turbo is savage.
    0-60 in under 5 seconds would mean that's a pretty accurate statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Speedsters are class, like an Elise, but slightly less manic. I've had a few pax spins in them and they are proper quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 keith-b

celica by far never mad on the coupe's

Advertisement