Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingfisher to take over Leisure Centre in Tuam

Options
  • 20-10-2009 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I heard recently that Kingfisher are to take over the running of the leisure centre in Tuam from Aura, from late November onwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

That is correct. Aura's four year stint was up, the Council put it out to tender and Kigfisher came back with the best offer. They are obliged to provide a certain amount of public hours but it is not clear as yet if this also applies to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I wonder will they be any cheaper. Aura had the price at €5 between 12 and 4 pm.

Can't say what the rates will be but they are set in agreement with Galway County Council. There aren't too many with a good thing to say about Kingfisher's running of the pool and leisure complex in Ballinasloe.

Aw, that can't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

dec25532 wrote: »
    There aren't too many with a good thing to say about Kingfisher's running of the pool and leisure complex in Ballinasloe.

I suppose it all depends on who they put in to manage it and what resources that manager will have. I'm wondering how many of the existing staff will be kept on.

If Kingfisher came back with a better offer you'd have to imagine that they are either going to take less profit or run it more efficiently. If it's the latter, then you would imagine they are either going to increase revenue (i.e. charges) or lower costs (i.e. staff costs mainly, I'd imagine), or both.

• Advertisement

Think there was an issue with the previous operators regarding a pool heating bill which the council had to cough up. And a hefty one at that. That didn't arise with Kingfisher which I think swayed it in their direction. As regards staff, most of the existing ones are being kept on which is good but the new operators will be cutting down on costs significantly. This does not always mean a good service unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 candygir

As a recent member of the Kingfisher Ballinasloe I just want to say its a fantastic facility and most towns in the county would be crying out for a facility like this. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, they have great variety of classes. The pool is well maintained and the gym has a large selection of equipment and you have a great view of the pool when your working out.
    People should support local business, and be grateful for the facility they have in their town.

If they gave fair deals it would be fine.

It wouldn't have killed them to have had a 3 month student membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Having recently moved away from Tuam, I really do miss the Kingifsher formally Aura in Tuam, many of the gyms in Galway are not a patch on the place.

I joined what is though by many to be the best gym in Galway, Ocean Fitness and yes it's unreal, but compared to what Tuam has, it really isn't that far off. We're lucky to have what we have. And the pool in Tuam is much better lookin'! Used to love swimming in the lane by the glass wall looking out into the palace grounds as I took a breath!

They do some great deals if you can join as a couple, my membership last year was around €440 each, absolute bargin. Find a mush to join with MarsBar, pretend ye are a couple;) They don't do any checking or ask for any proof of address or anything!

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Having recently moved away from Tuam, I really do miss the Kingifsher formally Aura in Tuam, many of the gyms in Galway are not a patch on the place.

I joined what is though by many to be the best gym in Galway, Ocean Fitness and yes it's unreal, but compared to what Tuam has, it really isn't that far off. We're lucky to have what we have. And the pool in Tuam is much better lookin'! Used to love swimming in the lane by the glass wall looking out into the palace grounds as I took a breath!

They do some great deals if you can join as a couple, my membership last year was around €440 each, absolute bargin. Find a mush to join with MarsBar, pretend ye are a couple;) They don't do any checking or ask for any proof of address or anything!

Haha! The problem is I'm in college so I won't even be in Tuam for the majority of 8 months. It simply makes no sense for me to get a yearly membership.

When Aura was there, I got a 3 month membership for €120 from June to August. It was perfect. I can't see how Kingfisher can't see what a great opportunity they have for bringing in new members by giving that option. €5 for a gym and swim between 12 and 4 pm was a fantastic offer Aura had! It's so annoying that there is such good facilities but are almost inaccessible.

Total Fitness Solutions will be where I'll be going when I get my holidays. 6 month membership from April - September is almost tailor made for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DriverMad

I never knew this total fitness gym existed. how do people find it? Better that the kingfisher?

http://www.totalfitnesssolutions.ie/

I haven't been out there yet but some of my friends have done the bootcamp thing and it's €10 for an hour and a half workout. They do it every Tuesday and Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. It's a pity they don't have a pool! Local-ish lads that are running it too which is great.

Advertisement