Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike racing in Ireland.

Options
  • 20-10-2009 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭

Hey lads, don't suppose anybody could provide me with some links/info on what's required to get into the racing scene in Ireland.

I'm going to assume its the same as cars, so I guess I'm going to have to join a club, fork out for membership and then apply for a race license.

Is there a restriction on machines or power?

Do I need a racing license for normal track days?

Any idea when the California Superbike School is back up and running?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Steffano should know, he was racing for the last few seasons. I'm sure he'll this thread sometime :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

I'm a retired racer. (last out 2002)
    Join a club, Fingal or Loughshinny. Fingal organises more races throughout the year.
    They'll send you out a Race licence application form. With that go to your doctor for a medical and he/she will fill out a page on the form. Send it in with the fee (was €85 for last one I got so it's probably gone up). Class B is short circuit racing (Mondello, Nutts Corner, Bishopscourt, Aghadowey etc. You must get results from a number of short circuit races recorded on your race card before you can apply for Class A road race licence (this procedure may have changed since i raced).
    If you are old enough not to need parental permission to race then a good class to start off in is the Pre'97 class (201-600cc). Bike and engine numbers are submitted for the class and are checked to ensure they are older than 1997 (this class year may be changed since I raced last).
    Bikes dont have power restriction except for the kiddies 125's.
    So once you have your race licence and appropriate leathers and helmet etc and your bike ready to race will no sharp pointy bits (levers must have rounded end intact) and nuts lock wired your club will send out entry form 2-3 weeks before the race day and send it in ASAP with a cheque/PO.
    Race day get there before 8am to sign in for your transponder and then queue for scrutineering and have fun after that.
    I had fantastic craic from 5 years of racing and its a buzz that you'll never get driving on the public roads. It's costly fun but definitely have a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GDelmer

Hi all. New to the site. 746watts is bang on there except you will have to do a flag seminar before you can get your lieance. Once you have done this you then have to do a training day no matter how many track days you have done. You will need 1 piece leathers. A 2 piece that can zip together is fine for trackdays but you will not get out to race with them. You will also need a helmet that is no older than 5 years old with a stamp to prove it. The best advice I can give is have a look on the Mondello web site, book yourself a trackday, (i think there is only 1 left this year). Ask any of the lads down there what you`ll need, everyone is very helpfull. Be prepared to get very addicted. It`s expencive too. The pre 97 class or the 400`s are a great starting class that are not too expencive but still not cheep. enjoy

Advertisement