Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Small Van Questions...

Options
  • 20-10-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Not sure if there is a commercial vehicle section on boards, if there is could a mod move this for me?

Im looking to get a small van in the next couple of days, and it will be used to transport dogs.

I dont need a heavy duty van, but I do knock up a good bit of milage, so I need a van that will last long.

Im looking for something similar to a Citroen Berlingo, or Seat Inca, that kind of size.

Any advise on what to look for, or what to ask? (ive never had a commercial vehicle before)

Do vans need to be NCT'd?

Any recommendations on what makes to look for/ avoid?

Any idea of any websites where I can upload text / graphics to be printed as car stickers so I can put advertising on the outside of the van?

Im looking to spend up to €3000, just need it for a year or so, will I be able to get a decent van for this price?

Any advise on where to go (in Cork)?

Also, my dads looking to get a decent new car, will we get much of a discount if we buy the two from the same garage??

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Can't fault the VW caddy, or the ford transit connect (same size van!).

The VW i know from personal use can take a fair hammering, id rather have the 05+ newer model, much more comfortable drive. Make sure to get a TDI.

Vans need to be nct'd (called a DOE) every year.

EDIT: look up donedeal.ie not sure about carzone, but think cbg.ie has a van section i think. Being i while since i've done a proper search.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to the Motoring > 4x4 & Tractors & Diggers & Plant forum (which also caters for commercial vehicles)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I just picked up a 99 Combo van.

I would have preference for these or the older caddy. There is very little to go wrong with them. The newer Caddy is more comfortable but has the downside of the damned dual mass flywheel.

The french offerings (Kangoo, Berlingo and Partner) are comfortable but are prone to suspension that needs maintenance fairly regularly.

They will have to be DOE'd once a year. You will also need to sign a goods declaration saying that you will not use it for private use. (Technicality really)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

As you will be using it to cart around dogs, dogs that mightn't necessarily like each other, I would guess that sooner or later you will end up having to put cages/partitions in the back..
    From that point of view, one or even two side sliding doors might be essential ...which unfortunately rules out the older Caddy/Inca etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

i have crates already in the transport I have now, all the dogs prefer to travel together to be honest though, they're happier two to a crate. only need one door as I am going to get the crates permenantly installed to the back and one side.

Is the DOE tricky to pass? dont wanna be spending a bomb on services regularly.

• Advertisement

It is no tougher than the NCT really.

It is every year though instead of every 2 and must be done from one year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

Slidey wrote: »
    You will also need to sign a goods declaration saying that you will not use it for private use.
    First I've heard of that! Why do you have to do that? And what if you do want it for private use, then what's the story? Reason I ask is I'm planning on getting a van myself. Gonna be using it as a camper, making a list of pro's and con's regarding making the conversion official. Thanks! :o

If you want to use it for private use you are supposed to tax it privately.

There is a thread regarding campers and getting them tested. I would strongly suggest that you take some time reading that especially the bit on the windows that you plan on fitting.

If I remember correctly the goods deceleration only has to be signed if the van is under a certain unladen weight

Advertisement