Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Jazz Fest

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering if there is some epic band going to be playing during the jazz fest that ppl might not know about?

I myself will be going to see hypnotic brass ensamble on friday night in the pavallion (ticket)

They played at Electric picnic this year And were Epic!
    :D

I hear super furry animal members r playing jazz in the bodega also???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

Sun Ra is playing which could be fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

www.corkjazzfestival.com has all the details but remember that there is also a great free pub trail in which you hear everything from all the jazz genres plus some blues and even rock music.

The Cork Jazz festival is Europe's no.3 with the moniker "The Friendly Jazz Festival"

Watch out for Phil Ware,Honor Heffernan,Kurt Elling,Monty Alexander,The Bad Plus.

The Roaring Forties are well worth seeing live and are playing each day of the festival at venues such as The Briar Rose.

Enjoy! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

www.corkjazzfestival.com has all the details but remember that there is also a great free pub trail in which you hear everything from all the jazz genres plus some blues and even rock music.

The Cork Jazz festival is Europe's no.3 with the moniker "The Friendly Jazz Festival"

Watch out for Phil Ware,Honor Heffernan,Kurt Elling,Monty Alexander,The Bad Plus.

The Roaring Forties are well worth seeing live and are playing each day of the festival at venues such as The Briar Rose.

Enjoy! :):):)

free pub trail you say? is that info on the site?

Information re the pub trail is probably not posted on the site but a list of venues appears in the brochure which is widely available at the festival itself.

There may also be a further production giving full information re bands playing etc.If my memory servers me right this was printed in previous years.

A lot of the entertainment is concentrated around the city centre with pubs and hotels in the suburbs and Kinsale,Blarney and Cobh also involved.

Milanos Restaurant,for example,have jazz guitarist Austin Durack playing from 3 to 5 Sat.,Sun.& Mon.There is also jazz at the Fota Wild Life park.
    The Briar Rose pub has The Roaring Forties swing band entertaining.

Me Again
    I re-checked www.corkjazzfestival.com and find that the music trail has been updated.Go to Guinness Music Trail on home page and follow links as required incl. the Kinsale fringe festival.

Cheers! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Sun Ra is playing which could be fantastic

Wow, rising from the dead just to play a gig. That's so his style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    Wow, rising from the dead just to play a gig. That's so his style!

No ! He's coming from Saturn, especially for the festival......... :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

Sorry, The Sun Ra Arkestra then smart ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

They were quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Really liked the band in the Bodega tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Dudess wrote: »
    They were quality.
    Did you see the Arkestra?!

I couldn't make it down to Cork again this year. Missed Pharoah Sanders aswell.
    /weeps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

Dudess wrote: »
    They were quality.

They certainly had their moments

I was only really there for the Bad plus anyway. Thank god they ditched Wendy Lewis!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bonzo-Reborn

did anyone see don baker? by the time i knew he was playing here i couldnt go :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

J.S. Pill wrote: »
    I was only really there for the Bad plus anyway. Thank god they ditched Wendy Lewis!

I concur! 'For All I Care' is my least favourite of their albums though it does have moments (I screamed like a girl when i heard them play long distance runaround two summers ago. The instrumentals on it are also great). Her presence there seemed to confine the band a bit as they didn't seem to want to exclude her by going too out there. Really looking forward to their next album.

Anyone else think the sound at the gig was awful? For TBP it was okay (though King's bass drum was too quiet) but it was terrible during the arkestra's performance. Saw Yurodny there the next day, who are an even bigger band, and the sound was perfect so they must have messed up on the night.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I'd agree with you shatner.
    The whole set up for the Arkestra was poor. The number of times a musician wasn't heard because a mic wasn't switched on or because a mic stand fell over was shocking.
    The sound for Yurodny was just so much better it was hard to believe it was the same venue!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Did anyone happen to catch Kurt Elling, i was away at the time, raging i missed him, he's an amazing vocalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

early preview of 2010 festival

http://steviegblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/cork-jazz-festival-is-looking.html

None of the names mentioned are 100% confirmed but we shall see i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Gussie Finknott

Dont think i will bother with the Cork Jazz Festival this year when i can get a cheap flight to Frankfurt Haan and get the bus to Leverkusener where i can see the likes of Bill Frizell,Ulf Wakenus,Terje Rypdall.Jan Akkerman,Jan Garbarek,Maria Jaoa,The Rosenberg Trio,John Abercrombie,Jazz Pistols and lots more at 10 euro entrance fee and 2.50 for a beer

Advertisement