Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless connection fail

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

My laptop will did not open webpages or recieve data from the router. The router works fine and is supplying other PCs with broadband.

The wireless network connection shows "Limited or no connectivity". I used the windows XP wireless connections repair command and it displayed the following error mid run "The following action cannot be completed: Renewing your IP address"
    I've entered the default gateway, Primary dns server address and Secondary DNS server address as well as the same ip address from the other pc (changing the last number on the IP address).

Once changed, it diplays the wireless network as being connected. It will connect to the BT router that will allow me to run the diagnostic tool for the router. The connection to the network, ADSL provider and internet service provider all come up green.

All 3 browsers still come up blank for webpages (Opera, firefox & IE).

Ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭jasonbourme.cs

can you do the following

start > run > cmd

try pinging the below

( BT's primary and secondary DNS )

try pinging google ( www.google.ie ) or IP address 66.102.9.99

if you can ping the DNS or googles IP address then it is more than likely a security or firewall issue .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

It could be a firewall issue or a channel selection issue on the wifi card. Some wifi connection dont automatically select the correct channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

can you do the following

start > run > cmd

try pinging the below

( BT's primary and secondary DNS )

try pinging google ( www.google.ie ) or IP address 66.102.9.99

if you can ping the DNS or googles IP address then it is more than likely a security or firewall issue .

192.111.39.1 / 192.11.39.4 / 66.102.9.99 all come up as request timed out, 100% loss.

I've pinged the router on 192.168.1.1 and got 0% loss with full transfer.

The firewall has been off while i've being trying to get the connection back.

I have a feeling it might be something to do with the IP addresses. If it was the WEP code it should not be saying "Connected".

Keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

FusionNet wrote: »
    It could be a firewall issue or a channel selection issue on the wifi card. Some wifi connection dont automatically select the correct channel.

Is there a way of checking the channel selection?

Advertisement