Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish Govt. Subsidising holidays for over 55's

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

From Galligan travel
    :
    "Travel Senior Programme"
    Subsidised Holidays to Spain for the Over 55's
    One Week, Full Board, Costa del Sol Package, in 4 Star Hotel
    € 365 pp

Part of EU social tourism, the Government of Spain and the autonomous communities of Andalusia and Balearic Islands subsidise part of the cost of Spanish winter holidays through this programme for Ireland's Over 55's. Through this subsidy, we can offer a complete package on Full Board, including flights from €365 per person.

This promotion consists of a package, which includes
    • round trip air fare (if you make your own way to the resort deduct € 160pp)
    • transfers between airport and hotel on arrival and departure
    • assistance at the airport
    • 4 star hotels on a Full Board basis including beverages
    • daily entertainment program
    • two tours in the area
    • available for one week, two week, three week and four week stays - minimum stay 7 nights

Full details here:

http://www.jgt.ie/dynamicdata/TravelSenior.aspx?id=0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

That's a great price considering everything is included. I'll pass it on to my mum so thanks OP.

Wonder what's the weather like in the balearics or mainland spain in the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

it's only Andalucia and the Balearic islands the deal covers, the weather there is pleasant enough in the winter though can get cold/wet too, you won't be sunbathing but it's nice to walk around in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ibiza is a nice island to have a look around. It's not all mayhem like that Sky One program would have you believe

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

My travel agency took my booking for my chosen date in Spain with the Spanish subsidised holiday offer. Then closer to departure, after taking my money, they changed the date, the location and the hotel. And then asked me to pay an additional €20 for the change! When I queried it they said it was due to the later time of the flight. They were the ones changing the original plan!
    i felt i was baited in on the original offer and fobbed off after that with what suited them best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 newworld2010

cdb wrote: »

From Galligan travel
    :

"Travel Senior Programme"

Subsidised Holidays to Spain for the Over 55's

One Week, Full Board, Costa del Sol Package, in 4 Star Hotel

€ 365 pp

Part of EU social tourism, the Government of Spain and the autonomous communities of Andalusia and Balearic Islands subsidise part of the cost of Spanish winter holidays through this programme for Ireland's Over 55's. Through this subsidy, we can offer a complete package on Full Board, including flights from €365 per person.

This promotion consists of a package, which includes
    • round trip air fare (if you make your own way to the resort deduct € 160pp)
    • transfers between airport and hotel on arrival and departure
    • assistance at the airport
    • 4 star hotels on a Full Board basis including beverages
    • daily entertainment program
    • two tours in the area
    • available for one week, two week, three week and four week stays - minimum stay 7 nights

Full details here:

http://www.jgt.ie/dynamicdata/TravelSenior.aspx?id=0
    SO WHY ARE TRAVEL AGENCIES CHARGING 395.00?

• Advertisement

Why is this holiday being advertised at 365.00 e when the travel agencies are charging 395.00.?:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And didnt Liveline have a piece on it last week. People being herded around for hours etc. As always buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

This deal has been running since last October and has been mentioned here a few times. And no doubt is excellent value.
    The people who booked in Oct/Nov were charged €365 but then the greedy irish travel agents decided to add on €30 "handling" charge. The greedy travel agents have also increased the single supplement feom the original offer - no doubt the Spanish Govt must be pleased!
    And didnt Liveline have a piece on it last week. People being herded around for hours etc. As always buyer beware.
    I dont take anything I hear on or about Liveline seriously. The current destinations are Benalmadena and Torremolinos both are only minutes from the airport. I have spoken to 2 groups of people who have been there and both tell me the hotels are excellent, food is excellent and the wine with lunch and dinner is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

The active retirement group that my mam is a member of went on one of these trips in February and seemed to have a ball. About 20 or so went & thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Not sure what location in Spain they went too, but they all thought it was great value.

They're always going on trips. Some great value for the over 55's. They're constantly getting mail shots from places offering them great deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

iisollie wrote: »
    I dont take anything I hear on or about Liveline seriously. The current destinations are Benalmadena and Torremolinos both are only minutes from the airport. I have spoken to 2 groups of people who have been there and both tell me the hotels are excellent, food is excellent and the wine with lunch and dinner is free.

That piece on liveline sounded pretty real to me . It depends on what travel agent you choose is the problem I think.

You do need to keep an eye out over there ,spain has it's fair share of thieves floating about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭iisollie

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    That piece on liveline sounded pretty real to me . It depends on what travel agent you choose is the problem I think.

You do need to keep an eye out over there ,spain has it's fair share of thieves floating about.

It makes no difference which travel agent u use as they are only "agents" in this case. When u make a booking they have to submit "requests" to some agency in spain and it takes several days to get confirmation.
    If we can cope with the thieves here we can manage the spanish!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭georgem25

I checked this deal with a few agencies in March and it worked out cheaper to book directly for Costa del Sol. They were very expensive or had no availability. It was different with each agency

i've listened to the jd podcast three times,checked with travel advisor on my selected hotel and reckon i am getting a bargain 4* + holiday for a third of the normal price. Dont mind taking care of my own luggage ( 15 kilo on wheels) But like all purchases..."caveat emptor".. If u cant do these simple things , maybe u should'nt go on your own.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭golfwallah

I heard from a friend of a friend that there are great deals to be had under the Spanish Govt. subsidised holiday scheme.
    Googled "Spanish Govt. holidays for over 55s" and saw that quite a few travel agents have this deal on offer at €410 (€599 in Canaries) per week full board in selected resorts up to end April 2011 - all "subject to availability".
    Anyone tried this scheme, is it easy to book and is it as good as it seems?
    Feedback welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 manana

just be wary of travel agents chopping and changing dates. You are free to get your money back and say no. However, if a group of you have your heart set on the holiday the agent is on a winner! don't pay any extras over the agreed price due to changed dates and flight times. Make that a condition in writing at the time of booking so they know you mean business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Travelalot

golfwallah wrote: »
    I heard from a friend of a friend that there are great deals to be had under the Spanish Govt. subsidised holiday scheme.
    Googled "Spanish Govt. holidays for over 55s" and saw that quite a few travel agents have this deal on offer at €410 (€599 in Canaries) per week full board in selected resorts up to end April 2011 - all "subject to availability".
    Anyone tried this scheme, is it easy to book and is it as good as it seems?
    Feedback welcome.
    Hi

I sent my parents on this deals for a christmas present and they had a ball, said the hotel was lovely, foos was good, free wine was good and they said it was all great value for money. I booked it through travel247.ie, I think they have extended the offer until june to.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bagel

I followed the link from the spanish tourist board site. It gives full details of the scheme and if you follow the how to book link gives the full list of the travel agents in Ireland. See here

http://www.europeseniortourism.eu/en/queesest/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

What if one person's over 55 and the other's under 55?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

What if one person's over 55 and the other's under 55?

Younger travellers may accompany someone that is over 55 at the same rate, in the same room. Only one person under 55 in each room can avail of the reduced rate i.e. One senior and two younger people in a triple room - one of the younger people must pay a supplement of €100-.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

As usual the greedy Irish travel agents are adding extra costs to the programme, for "supplements" for the hotels, supplements for the airlines and "compulsory" gala dinners over xmas and new year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement