Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours porch & gutters

Options
  • 20-10-2009 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Hi.
    Does anyone know if gutters are mandatory on a small front porch with a pitch roof?

My house is terraced and my neighbour is putting up a small porch. That is fine and I have no problem with that. There is a rainwater drain under the garden wall near the front doors and when I spoke to their builder a couple of weeks ago, he agreed to move the drain further along. Yesterday I got home to find he had put up the side walls but had not moved the drain. He just left a small opening at the bottom so any rain on my side can still flow in. The problem now is that it cannot be moved without taking the wall down.

Originally we were both going to get porches and use the same builder who is their daughters boyfriend. He is doing it in his spare time and doesn't want to do mine so we agreed the wall on my side would be left ready for when i get it done. But now if I put a porch up, I will have no drain to run the gutters into as I will have to completely block it off.

I am also concerned if the drain at the other end(the one on the road) became blocked, could water flow back up the drain in the garden and ultimately damage the porch structure ?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I rang the planning office but they were useless. I need to get as much info as possible before talking to my neighbour tonight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I think this is a case where you need to get your own AT/engineer to look at the job for you and make recommendations.

From what you say, it looks as though they are taking the easy way out by not moving the GT/drain at this stage but without seeing the situation I couldn't comment further.

Get someone on site to make recommendations and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Snowdrop

I spoke to an architectural technician and apparently I can just break into the pipe further along. I just need to find out what direction it is going in. Hopefully it goes through my garden.

Thanks Poor Uncle Tom.

Advertisement