Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alice Cooper; recommendation and your preferences.

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

I was talking to a guy today who claimed he was a fan of alice cooper.
    I was interested seeing as i havent listened to him much myself bar the obvious choices of Poison, Schools Out and No More Mr Nice Guy etc.
    So i asked him could he recommend me some gems of Alice's to check out. and all i got was the afromentioned Poison, Schools Out and No More Mr Nice Guy I asked for other songs only to be told that he doesnt listen to any other songs by him... so much for being a "fan"

But anyway, i was listening to Some of his, by my own account, lesser known works, and i have to say a lot of it didnt float my boat, but i figure i'm looking in the wrong place. I did however love Might As Well Be On Mars, cheesy rock ballad, cant go wrong.

Anyway, List some of your favourite Lesser known Alice.

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

My recommendation...AVOID :D

no really though I think his earlier stuff is meant to be better than his late poppy stuff

not too many ALice fans in the world I'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't avoid. His 70's stuff is amazing and he has had a few good albums in more recent times too.

Best albums of his from the 70's are easy to pick. They are Killer, School's Out, and the brilliant Billion Dollar Babies.

Then skip to the late 80's and get Trash, which is corny but fun.

Then onto the 90's and pick up the excellent The Last Temptation, which is a concept album that has the likes of Chris Cornell and Rob Zombie on it. Neil Gaiman also did a comic run that gave the full story of the album concept.

For the 2000's pick up either Brutal Planet or The Eyes Of Alice Cooper, with my pick being the former.

There is a good greatest hits album of his earlier stuff that is pretty cool that is called The Beast Of Alice Cooper, which has a great track listing and is far better than his other greatest hits releases.

Plus he released a cracking live album called A Fistful of Alice which takes in his Last Temptation tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

zenmonk wrote: »
    My recommendation...AVOID :D

OMG Blasphemy:eek:
    Alice is a God.

As Kess has said above you cannot go wrong with any of the albums mentioned from the 70's but my personal favourites are Love It to Death and his first solo Welcome to my Nightmare.

Things started to go dodgy after Alice Cooper Goes to Hell in where he was on the piss big time but highlights for me in this era were Flush The Fashion and Dada.

Dada was an amazing album, weird as hell. Alice has no recollection of recording it or has never performed songs from it live.

Zipper Catches Skin is the biggest pile of ****e ever.

Trash was his big comeback, great album for its era. Hey Stoopid was quite good too, the ballads were great

For the 2000's my pick would be Dragontown and the newest Along Came A Spider

If you can try to get to see him live, amazing entertainer for a 61 year old. I have seen him 5 times now and he never disappoints. If I win a few pound I will try to get over to the UK to see him in Dec. He seems to skip Ireland on one tour but will play here the next.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

have a few of the old albums saw him the once in vicar st and he was great live must root around for his cds dont think i have them on my ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

4 disc box - The Life and Crimes Of Alice Cooper, is reduced from 40.99 to 14.99 in HMV. Picked up a copy yesterday! Nice booklet aswell! well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

CiaranK wrote: »
    4 disc box - The Life and Crimes Of Alice Cooper, is reduced from 40.99 to 14.99 in HMV. Picked up a copy yesterday! Nice booklet aswell! well worth it.

Now that's a good deal! If only I didn't have it already.

As said, any of the 70s classic albums is the best place to start. The man has covered every genre in his career and is criminally underrated as a lyricist. His most recent album, Along Came A Spider is a welcome return to hard rock form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

One of his first (if not his first album) Pretties for you is very off the wall in a Zappa/Mothers of invention freak out type a way. One of the oddest things I´ve ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

His first two albums, Pretties For You and Easy Action, were both made under Zappa's wing and very different to what came later. Not a place I'd start. Mind you, DaDa was pretty weird too! :)

Advertisement