Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports clubs in TCD

Options
  • 19-10-2009 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

Hi. I just started in Trinity last month. Whilst I've joined some societies, I still want to get involved in a sport. I really tried during Freshers week to find a sport that I'd be able to, bearing in mind that I've no sporting background whatsoever. However I shyed away from actually joining a sport as I didn't know which one would suit me, and which I could see myself commiting to. I'm guessing it's not too late to join one?

If it's any help, From freshers week I was considering:

Rugby- What held me back was that I never played before, my lack of fitness, bad coordination, knowledge of the rules and I didn't get the feeling that the rugby was open to complete beginners and maybe social playing instead of competition, as they were mostly signing people who played rugby for years, (well from what I saw during freshers).

Also Kayaking and boating were others I was interested in, although lack of fitness stopped me.

So basically if you could give me some info on these clubs it would be great. Also if you have some suggestions of beginner friendly sports, or just in general on sports in Trinity, then I'll bear them in mind. cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

You'll find that your fitness will increase over the year as you train and play games. and yeah, I didn't think rugby were looking for beginners either.

Trinity Ultimate Frisbee club are always looking for members. Seeing as most players don't play it before uni, we start with the basics and work from there.
    PM me if you're interested, we train on Sundays, DUCAC didn't give us any other training time.

We also have tournament weekends coming up, if you're interested. This weekend, we're off to Edinburgh for an Indoor Beginner Tournament, and for the Halloween weekend, we're sending 2 teams off to Cork for a big outdoor tournament. Most importantly, We're damn successful, won Intervarsities / Colours winners 4 years in a row.

College ultimate highlights video (so you can see the sport in action):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAyEti-_lR8

Most sports clubs are active, I think it's more of a question of what you're interested in than what clubs are active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭ZWEI_VIER_ZWEI

Most of the martial arts clubs seem very welcoming of absolute beginners and unfit people, you'll almost certainly fit in there straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Most of the martial arts clubs seem very welcoming of absolute beginners and unfit people, you'll almost certainly fit in there straight away.

Recommend any of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

Judo and boxing, just give them both a try you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Judo and boxing, just give them both a try you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Kickboxing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

no kickboxing club in TCD, there is TKD (taekwon-do).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Anyone know how to contact surf, squash and rifle clubs? I've tried e-mails but haven't had any luck.....

Would have signed up during freshers week but was in the middle of FE-1's!

no kickboxing club in TCD, there is TKD (taekwon-do).

:( Would have given that a go. Not really into TKD.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭emollett

Jev/N wrote: »
    Anyone know how to contact surf, squash and rifle clubs? I've tried e-mails but haven't had any luck.....

Would have signed up during freshers week but was in the middle of FE-1's!

Rifle club is rifle@tcd.ie they check their emails fairly regularly i think. Otherwise, just head down to their range during the week, 6-10pm (directions on rifle.tcdlife.ie) and there will be someone there to show you around and sign you up if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

djcervi wrote: »
    Rugby- What held me back was that I never played before, my lack of fitness, bad coordination, knowledge of the rules and I didn't get the feeling that the rugby was open to complete beginners and maybe social playing instead of competition, as they were mostly signing people who played rugby for years, (well from what I saw during freshers).

American football. Similar sport, except everyone's a beginner and they actually win things. They've got two articles at the back of the Trinity News this week if you need more information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

BlueCam wrote: »
    American football. Similar sport, except everyone's a beginner and they actually win things. They've got two articles at the back of the Trinity News this week if you need more information.

Not hard when not many play the sport... Sorry, dig back for the rugby :p
    Unfortunately the rugby club is not set up for beginners but we do our best. We have 3 guys this year who've never played and they're coming on, but there's so many different skills(especially in protecting yourself when going into contact) that it'll be a while before they're gonna get a game. Sorry if the stand was full of meatheads during freshers.:rolleyes: We do our best to portray the stereotype as best we can.

American Football would definitely be good if you're looking for a tough contact sport, and they are actually one of the better nationally ranked teams afaik. Boxing is also great too, and they definitely cater for beginners! But if you're set on rugby, the J4's on Mon/Wed nights is your team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭RD77

Table tennis caters for all players and we have all the equipment for you to use. It can be very casual if you want it to be so good for new people joining. Also, we are getting a coach so you will be getting proper training. The rifle club is good for begineers again coaching is given and its good fun so you should try both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

When does the table tennis club meet up? (I couldn't find your website.)

Also, how do you feel about people who only want to turn up and play occasionally? At the last uni I went to I was told they didn't want anyone who wasn't going to show 100% commitment. Humph!

Oh, and I'll second the recommendation for trying martial arts if you're not sporty. With something like football or rugby, you'd get looked at like you had two heads if you've reached adulthood and never played before, but in MA adult beginners are the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Dante

I've been doing boxing since the start of term having never done it before and I must say its really good. Its on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 5pm on the first floor in the sports building, there are loads of beginners so you don't feel left out. Its a really good work out and you do pick it up quite quick. Would definitely recommend giving it a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭RD77

When does the table tennis club meet up? (I couldn't find your website.)

Also, how do you feel about people who only want to turn up and play occasionally? At the last uni I went to I was told they didn't want anyone who wasn't going to show 100% commitment. Humph!

Mondays from 7-8:30 for the team members (serious)
    Wednesdays 5-7 for regular players (very casual)

Yeah we don't actually have a website but we just got a new webmaster so we will be getting one up soon. Playing occasionally is no problem why don't you come down next Wednesday and give it a go? If you want any more details send me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 33 charlie1234

Hi all,

Didn't want to start a new thread so I bumped this one.

I'm currently in 2nd year and I want to play football (soccer to some) next year. I don't think I'd be a 1st team player, well probably a squad player but doubtful I'd be a starter. Ideally I'd like to be on a 2nds team as I don't think I could play at a high level while concentrating on my degree.

Does anyone now how I'd go about joining the Trinity football club? I e-mailed the captain about a year ago and I never got a response so I sorta left it off.

I know I'm too late for this season obviously. I'm concentrating on getting myself fit enough to play next season.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Charlie, my insight is that (and I could be wrong) the club has trials in the first few weeks and if you don't make the team theres no football for ya. I don't know how big the squad is, whether they have a B team, or even how the standard is, apart from that they don't really cater for casual footballers.

They also don't seem to promote themselves well and don't represent themselves at the captains meetings etc.

So I guess its best to wait til next year and check out their stand during freshers week! (I assume they'll be there?)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

djcervi wrote: »
    Also if you have some suggestions of beginner friendly sports, or just in general on sports in Trinity, then I'll bear them in mind. cheers.

I was thinking of doing a martial art and came across the karate homepage, looks interesting. Plus there is all different levels there so its easy to join :)

http://www.karate.tcdlife.ie/ourclub.php#times

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭jennebean

Allo ,
    anyone know of theres a running club ? I know from website that there is mountain running , is there anythin else ?
    Cheers
    jen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

If anyone's thinking of doing a martial art, there's the Judo club, which caters for complete beginners and it's free to train:

http://www.judo.tcdlife.ie/

As for a running club, there's always the Harriers, which is pretty good:

http://www.duhac.tcdlife.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DEJardine

Charlie - there's a mega league held every year for Football (Soccer), which is organised through Tommy Dunne in the Arts Building and this is the more recreational side to Soccer. DUCAC may have more information at ducac@tcd.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you want to try out something new, there's the American Football team: http://www.americanfootball.tcdlife.ie/

The team competes in the top division of the Irish American Football League and is always looking for new players. You can contact them at duafc@tcd.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Or the boat club-dont necessarily need to be fit to start it, but you will be by the end of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

How often does the ladies boat club train? Is it very intense/hard to get a place on the team?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

How often does the ladies boat club train? Is it very intense/hard to get a place on the team?

uhm, let me get back to you on that one, but at a guess-
    sat and sun mornings, and one or two mornings during the week, with as much extra as you want to!

It's as intense as you want it to be, if you want to be on the A squad then its hard work, but if your content with being on any squad, then as long as you show up to most of the training sessions youll get chosen.

EDIT::
    Was just chatting to one of the girls, at the start of the year, it was two sessions during the week, a run, and circuits, and one on the weekends to actually row-, then became two on weekends, and by about christmas, they were training 6 days-the dedicated ones anyway. IF you think you'd like it you should give it a shot, its not for everyone, I didn't think id commit to it, thoguth it was gonna be too much but I absolutely love it now and dont regret spending most of my time training-im with the guys boat club btw.

Advertisement