Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checking my line for DSL

Options
  • 19-10-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to determine if a telephone line is dsl enabled. Local exchange is due to be upgraded sometime this month and for once I believe them as I've had the Eircom reps around about a month ago trying to sign up everyone telling people their the only ones who would be supplying it (This an area that doesn't have broadband and most people don't realise what their broadband options are).

Today then I get a call from a Eircom sales dept telling me that the they can see a light for my DSL line but it's not green it's amber so I'm guessing they can't determine weather the line is suitable but it didn't stop them from trying to sign me up to Eircoms top package.

Just to check for myself is it possible to plug in a modem and check if the line is enabled I'm under the impression it takes a couple of weeks for Eircom to update their linechecker on their website.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    Is it possible to determine if a telephone line is dsl enabled. Local exchange is due to be upgraded sometime this month and for once I believe them as I've had the Eircom reps around about a month ago trying to sign up everyone telling people their the only ones who would be supplying it (This an area that doesn't have broadband and most people don't realise what their broadband options are).

Today then I get a call from a Eircom sales dept telling me that the they can see a light for my DSL line but it's not green it's amber so I'm guessing they can't determine weather the line is suitable but it didn't stop them from trying to sign me up to Eircoms top package.

Just to check for myself is it possible to plug in a modem and check if the line is enabled I'm under the impression it takes a couple of weeks for Eircom to update their linechecker on their website.

Thanks

You need the DSL line to go solid green and you also need the sync light to go solid green before you can connect!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

dak wrote: »
    You need the DSL line to go solid green and you also need the sync light to go solid green before you can connect!

But do I need to to be subscribed to an ISP to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Eircom are lying scum. Sales rep used this tactic on my area when it was enabled. Saying it would be months before the other providers could offer broadband. Was a lie and I reported it to comreg. You should do the same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭nilhg

Thanks

I'm pretty sure the line has to be physically enabled in the exchange (plugged into the DSLAM) so you plugging in someone's modem wont work. This only happens when you sign up for BB with one or other of the cmpanies.

What they are seeing is a test result, in my experience people with amber usually can connect but only at lower speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Also the sales rep from eircon broke the regulations :rolleyes: by saying what they did, eircon are prohibited from doing exactly that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

amber means your line will pass for 1mbit only as it is sub standard , it also means eircom tested the lines and released the data to their own sales people only . If eircom tried to sell you 3mbits on an amber line you should report that and the exchange name to info@comreg.ie

how far away is the exchange by road ?

your exchange will be formally launched within a few weeks and will be listed on the page below, then you can get a 1mbit deal off any carrier.

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/lastest-news.asp?year=2009

Also the sales rep from eircon broke the regulations :rolleyes: by saying what they did, eircon are prohibited from doing exactly that.

I'm guessing these Eircom reps are on just working on commission, and when I asked him if other business's in the area had signed up he told me I was the only one who didn't sign up straight away, and I won't be with them either.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If eircom tried to sell you 3mbits on an amber line you should report that and the exchange name to info@comreg.ie

how far away is the exchange by road ?

your exchange will be formally launched within a few weeks and will be listed on the page below, then you can get a 1mbit deal off any carrier.

http://www.broadbandatoz.ie/lastest-news.asp?year=2009

I'm about 2 kilometres from the exchange, I have 3 telephone lines so surely 1 should be of good enough quality. I don't think I could really complain to comreg as I wasn't tricked into anything and I'm at no loss and it could easily be passed off as an error.

Thanks

Amber means marginal , could be a spider nesting in a junction box but will eircom send an engineer out to look ?? :) Are all three lines amber or are any green ?? Why 3 lines perchance , most businesses use the fax line as an emergency outbound line ???

Anyway get a 1mbit business package and see if that is stable. If not complain like **** and they will eventually send an engineer out to check properly ...if it is a business line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

I've almost the exact same story.
    Every other ISP has told me I have a carrier line but Eircom tell me I can get a 3mb line.
    Becasue the line was only activated, it can, according to Eircom, take a while to 'heat up' clear the cobwebs and change from Amber to Green.

LOL....fcukers

• Advertisement

That is illegal . If eircom have a pairgain removel service it should be a wholesale product available to all ISPs. Then again signing up to Business BB ( not residential) is a 6 month long contract and costs the same as residential anyway . Thereafter you may leave them.

The fact that it is a 'business' product gets you much MUCH better support which is important on iffy lines .

Update:
    I tried plugging the router into the telephone line but it didn't pick up any DSL signal; reason being I guess the exchange still isn't enabled. But by all accounts the exchange is due to be turned on tomorrow. But for the last couple of weeks Eircom have been calling and telephoning trying to get people to sign up before the competition find out. Just have to wait till tomorrow to find out if the exchange is enabled and then finding a suitable ISP.

A neat monopolistic trick having all the routers plugged in waiting for the DSL light to go green before the competition even knows the exchange is live .

Add in the :cool: selective ADSL2 enabling of certain exchanges :cool:

Advertisement