Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Conversion Questions

Options
  • 19-10-2009 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi All,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

We live in a duplex apartment. The back of the house- top floor- is an attic that runs the width of the house. You cant quite stand up in it, and then the slope of the roof makes an angle towards the floor (I am sure there is a technical name for this!).

Anyway space is tight. I work from home- but on the kitchen table. I would love some office space. Would we need planning permission to put a skylight in this attic space and put proper walls & flooring in to use as a home office? I am thinking that I would be sitting at a desk anyway while working there- so the ceiling height isnt an issue, and I could push a desk into the 'decreasing' space under the roof. In fact there is loads of floor space there for the asking. But I know I would need natural light to work there.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Yes you need planning permission and there will most likely by fire safety certificate issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd disagree on the planning aspect. It wouldnt be required but compliance with fire regs is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Are we not adding another floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Are we not adding another floor?
    If Im reading the OP's query correctly its a simple attic conversion so is therefore exempt from planning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

As Muffler said, planning is probably not required (but I would suggest getting a Section 5 Declaration from your LA as this is a grey area).

Even though planning may not be required a fire safety certificate probably is required (if there was a fire safety certificate for the development in the first place, then it is definitely required).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Cordner

Thanks Guys. So- what is my first step??

Advertisement