Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bora tdi acting up again... why?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    as has been posted numerous occasions my 02 bora tdi has acted the goat again. In the past 4 moths its been serviced, had one of the back doors opening function replaced, had the starter reconditioned twice, had a new battery and altinater (?) reconditioned and finally today its giving me more gip.

the problem is at the moment when i get to second gear it starts the 'stutter' as if its going to cut out until i put my foot on the clutch, as i go into 3rd it gets worse. Has anyone any ideas what wrong this time and should i think of getting some kind of a scrapage deal on it as a trade in? i havent really got the money tbh but its absolutely destroying me head at the moment. its tipping onto 95k miles but i thought i could get a bit moire out of it.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Neilw

VW TDI's are good for big miles, lots of them with 200k plus miles on them.
    Don't know whats up with your car but I'd say there is life left in it yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The stutter sounds like a coil pack or ignition leads maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

draffodx wrote: »
    The stutter sounds like a coil pack or ignition leads maybe
    It's diesel.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Get it hooked up for a scan..

It could well be the injector loom / I had similar prob

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's diesel.;)

ah theres the problem :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

draffodx wrote: »
    ah theres the problem :D

wow..slagging a diesel. I'm just amazed because that rarely happens here. Usually it's slagging the awesome might of the red D I, TDI.

I often thought the older diesels had less faults than petrols too.

wow..slagging a diesel.

More like trying to use comedy to hide my mistake ;)

Yeah I thought there was something funny going on. I hit quote and then recognised the name. Scrolled down quickly and didn't see your sig anywhere. Sigs don't show up when posting though :( doh!

I even kept refreshing the page for a reply because I know there was something wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so you reckon that i can still get a few thousand miles out of her? if its true happy days. just getting p**sed off paying money on her over and over again... when the money could be going toward the 320/530d account :)

Anyway, is your clutch going OP ? Does it ever slip?

Sounds like your flywheel might have a few bumps on it.

• Advertisement

nah, i got a new clutch at about 50K i think the previous owner was pulling horse carts or something on the tow-bar... but it doesnt slip at all when im driving

I just suggested that because I recently changed my clutch and didn't change the flywheel. I get a similar problem to yours but I only get it in first and reverse gear. But getting it all the way up to 3rd... I dunno.

If you bring the revs above 2k while driving in 2nd or 3rd, does it go away? Or is it just when the revs are low down?

That engine should be okay with a trailer by the way. Brakes and clutch would suffer a bit if it was driven spiritedly.

it was usually when the revs where low enough alright and as i went up higher it wasn't as bad. as i say it goes when clutch is down or in first... either way its with the mechanic at the moment but im just hoping its not another couple of hundred euro..

Well I'm not a mechanic so I wouldn't even try and guess what that issue is. For a second it just sounded similar to my flywheel issue.

Did you tell the garage not to carry out any work without consulting you first? I'd hate to hear they replaced parts then hit you with the bill later. That happened me once despite telling them to let me know what the issue is before any work is done. :(

just chatting with the mechanic there guys and he says that its something to do with the injector or the wiring loom? any ideas on what damage price wise i could be talking? really had enough with the car and i think after this latest escapade i will be parting with her once and for all... :mad:

so whats the alternatives for someone clearing close to 600miles a week on primary roads? budget in and around 10k....

Advertisement