Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universal Soldier

Options
  • 19-10-2009 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

Often wondered, what the hell were they thinking? Anyone played this on the Megadrive? It's basically Turrican 2 with a load of the good bits taken out!

I could never understand why they did this, playing the game it had nothing to do with the movie! But still in an effort to make it a bit more like the movie, they took the great things out, e.g. the massive multi-screen boss at the end of #2.2 and the really cool space-ship levels.. and replaced some of the other things with movie-related sprites... They also put in a few other levels (which even they had nothing to do with Universal Soldier)

The ironic thing is that they were probably playing off the name "Universal Soldier" but if they had just remade Turrican 2, the name would have probably generated even more publicity, especially amongst the computer gaming folk...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It was a hilariously stupid decision alright. Lets ruin a perfectly great game by converting into into a **** movie adaption.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's rubbish. It even plays like crap. How they managed to ruin the game so badly I'll never know. It plays worse than the 8-bit home computer versions. The only redeeming factor is the giant robot boss has been replaced with a giant dolph lundgren which is so bad it's almost good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

It won't be fashionable to admit it, but I think back in the day Turrican 1 and 2 were my favourite games on the C64 by a distance. They pushed that machine to the limit and the loading tune to the first one is still stuck in my head nearly 20 years later. I used to have the joystick in my hand with the C64 on the floor so I could hit the function key for grenades with one foot and the space bar for the flash with the other foot.

Always wondered about the Universal Soldier conversion, glad I didn't pick it up now. Wish they would release the original on xbox live or something like that. Wonder can I get a decent emulator of it running on my psp.. hmmm, project coming up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Universal Soldier was pure filth.... I loved the Turrican games especially the Amiga version of Turrican 2. They don't make'em like that anymore! :P

Advertisement