Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bonding masonry to masonry?

Options
  • 19-10-2009 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking at getting cut down stone (same as the stone used on front of house) for my chimneys and dormer window....The stonemason can put it on in usual manner to a degree but have also been advised that a "dab" of something will help the stone stick to the face of say the scratch plastered chimney much quicker than just mortar alone....It can then be pointed out etc in the usual manner etc

Was looking at something like Gripfill or Serious Stuff from Evo Stik but that is only from searching their website....
    Has anyone any ideas or advise on what could be successfully used...??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Conman1

Hi Tecnhophobe. I know that you can get a channel based strip which you can bolt onto your wall. There are ties then that slide into these channels. You set your channels at approx 600mm and stagger your ties then as needed. You can buy these from most construction accessories outlets. I have used them before when having to tie an inner leaf of blockwork to a RC wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I'm not fully sure what you want to do. It depend on the thickness and weight of the stone.

Stone cladding can be bonded with manufacturers adhesive to dormer or chimney. There are a number of natural stone cladding suppliers in the market. The special adhesive is designed for this type of thin natural stone.

Natural stone or field stone circa 250mm thick can not be bonded onto dormers or chimney. I'd think steel support structure would be required, certified & designed by a Structural Engineer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Hi Conman1 & RKQ and any other experts…

Just to (hopefully) clarify what I am trying to do here….

I have natural stone facing to front gables of house and also want to do the centred dormer window and my chimneys with the same natural stone finish….
    The quarry where I am getting the stone have agreed to provide me with cut stone to do this with the maximum thickness of the stone cuts expected to be less than 40mm and probably closer to 30mm….

My thoughts/fears were that over time that weathering would get in behind some stone on the chimneys, and this would maybe loosen some of the stone allowing it to fall away and damage slates etc…

Therefore, I was wondering if there was some sort of industrial building adhesive that could be used to dab on the stone and use to stick to the chimneys and then point around joints etc…

Further research turned up a couple of products (such as Cementone Rapid Resin Bolt Grout & Mortar System) but these all would seem quite expensive for small quantities…

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated:confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Answering my own post in case it helps anyone in the future...
    Apparently, Ardex have various products to do this and have a very helpful Customer Services....

No association btw....

Advertisement