Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi Mods. New forum suggestion

Options
  • 18-10-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Dont know if this is in the right place hope it is. I notice with the new take back WEE laws it has become harder to get parts for appliences like washing machines, Dishwashers and dryers lately...

I have a suggestion that some sorts of a thread is set up where by people throwing out appliences can post and if someone wants to salvage some parts they can before the delivery people take them away.

An example of this is the filters in the dryer or the doors or seals on a washing machine. The baskets or trays in diswashers. The doors or elements on ovens.

Is there any body else who would agree on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

yeah, sounds good, i have fixed a few white goods around the house. Have sourced info and parts from web, good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

kwalshe wrote: »
    yeah, sounds good, i have fixed a few white goods around the house. Have sourced info and parts from web, good idea

So how do we organise it....????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So how do we organise it....????

The mods here don't have the power to create new forums, it's the admins.

I've no problem with the idea in theory, I don't know if it interferes with adverts.ie's remit though.

I could send this to the "forum forum" or leave it here and see if it gathers interest. Your choice Joey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I could send this to the "forum forum" or leave it here and see if it gathers interest.
    Joey already has.

The mods here don't have the power to create new forums, it's the admins.

I've no problem with the idea in theory, I don't know if it interferes with adverts.ie's remit though.

I could send this to the "forum forum" or leave it here and see if it gathers interest. Your choice Joey :)

Thank you. I dont think it will interfere with adverts cause the parts will be second hand and really not worth much. Most of the money will be in the cost to collect them. Where it will really help is a second hand part might make something last a lot longer.

I put it on forum forum bu have not heard anything.

Thank you for the link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

An example of this is the filters in the dryer or the doors or seals on a washing machine. The baskets or trays in diswashers. The doors or elements on ovens.
    Is there any body else who would agree on this.

I have been replying to all posts looking for bits & pieces - telling people to go to their local recycling centre.

I + some help have got so many items at my recycling centre that keep (for 3 different houses) dishwashers, washing machines and microwaves going longer than they should have, and still work perfectly.

Also items such as baskets, trays and cutlery baskets for dishwashers, door shelves and veg. holders for fridges, rotor rollers and glass plates for microwaves are very available in these centres. They just need a good scrubbing before you reuse them.
    REDUCE - REUSE - RECYCLE !

dh0661 wrote: »
    I have been replying to all posts looking for bits & pieces - telling people to go to their local recycling centre.

I + some help have got so many items at my recycling centre that keep (for 3 different houses) dishwashers, washing machines and microwaves going longer than they should have, and still work perfectly.

Also items such as baskets, trays and cutlery baskets for dishwashers, door shelves and veg. holders for fridges, rotor rollers and glass plates for microwaves are very available in these centres. They just need a good scrubbing before you reuse them.

I did not think they had the parts long because they are sent back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Great idea but most won't let you take spare parts as if they did certain members of the comunity would spend their whole lives striping out copper cable and anything else they thought might be valuble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

ttm wrote: »
    Great idea but most won't let you take spare parts as if they did certain members of the comunity would spend their whole lives striping out copper cable and anything else they thought might be valuble.

I never thought about that and we have more than our fair share of copper strippers around here. I don't have a problem at our local centre, always ask permission first.

I never thought about that and we have more than our fair share of copper strippers around here. I don't have a problem at our local centre, always ask permission first.

I'm near Dungarvan and the Council "Recycling" centre won't allow any material off site. So I check out the local builders merchants that also do household appliences as they tend to gather up a load of old appliences before they take them down the tip, Galambia is another useful hunting ground ;)

btw Joey I think we should both start spelling appliences appliances correctly :D

Could try it out here with two threads "Scrap appliances AVAILABLE for spares" and "Parts WANTED from scrap appliances". Guild lines in the first post in each thread to explain how to format your post and the details required?

• Advertisement

I'm near Dungarvan and the Council "Recycling" centre won't allow any material off site. So I check out the local builders merchants that also do household appliences as they tend to gather up a load of old appliences before they take them down the tip, Galambia is another useful hunting ground ;)

btw Joey I think we should both start spelling appliences appliances correctly :D

Could try it out here with two threads "Scrap appliances AVAILABLE for spares" and "Parts WANTED from scrap appliances". Guild lines in the first post in each thread to explain how to format your post and the details required?

I wouldn't mind doing this and keeping an eye. Let me check with those further up the food chain first, eh?

If it does prove to be popular, I'll talk to the powers that be about getting a sub forum, pwetty pwease. Bear in mind it can take a couple of months for forums to get approved, and they won't just make it unless we give a decent argument for it's creation.

Ideas welcome as I suspect this is going to make alot of work for me :D

I wouldn't mind doing this and keeping an eye. Let me check with those further up the food chain first, eh?

If it does prove to be popular, I'll talk to the powers that be about getting a sub forum, pwetty pwease. Bear in mind it can take a couple of months for forums to get approved, and they won't just make it unless we give a decent argument for it's creation.

Ideas welcome as I suspect this is going to make alot of work for me :D

Great offer. Joey needs to get back on this but I think the key to the whole thing is how it is frammed in the first place, so I would suggest a bit lot more debate here before we jump into it.

I know if I was getting spare parts from a machine I'd do it on the bases of I'll remove the part(s) I want and take the remains to the tip if that was heplful to the scraper, sort of quid pro quo .

I know this is a no money changing hands operation but what happens if member A sends member B a part that is faulty and causes some harm to member B, do we need a disclaimer and what does it say?

Then what happens if I say I have a particular model of washing machine and then the thread attracts questions about repairing that machine, obviously time and trouble for mods. That could be a particular problem as a search for a specific model on google could produce first place hit to the same item in an "available for spares/scapping thread".

One suggestion would be that users modify there own posts to indicate if the item is still available or if they got what they wanted in the post title. Like "Hotpoint Washer xxx pump [WANTED]" would change to "Hotpoint Washer xxx pump [Sorted]" but thats an optional as I've been on forums where that format is used and it does work provided you don't pi$$ people off by over enforcing it.

A mod could indicate in the Thread title at what point to start looking by assuming any posts older than a month (pick a time) are out of date. So thread title could be "Scrap appliances AVAILABLE for spares (posts before #123 over a month old)" If the item is still available then the originator can repost the item after a month (pick a time).

Great offer. Joey needs to get back on this but I think the key to the whole thing is how it is frammed in the first place, so I would suggest a bit lot more debate here before we jump into it.

I know if I was getting spare parts from a machine I'd do it on the bases of I'll remove the part(s) I want and take the remains to the tip if that was heplful to the scraper, sort of quid pro quo .

I know this is a no money changing hands operation but what happens if member A sends member B a part that is faulty and causes some harm to member B, do we need a disclaimer and what does it say?

Then what happens if I say I have a particular model of washing machine and then the thread attracts questions about repairing that machine, obviously time and trouble for mods. That could be a particular problem as a search for a specific model on google could produce first place hit to the same item in an "available for spares/scapping thread".

One suggestion would be that users modify there own posts to indicate if the item is still available or if they got what they wanted in the post title. Like "Hotpoint Washer xxx pump [WANTED]" would change to "Hotpoint Washer xxx pump [Sorted]" but thats an optional as I've been on forums where that format is used and it does work provided you don't pi$$ people off by over enforcing it.

A mod could indicate in the Thread title at what point to start looking by assuming any posts older than a month (pick a time) are out of date. So thread title could be "Scrap appliances AVAILABLE for spares (posts before #123 over a month old)" If the item is still available then the originator can repost the item after a month (pick a time).

You've actually hit on my main problem here. Good ideas, too.

I've no idea how much Boards will allow on a forum with regards to people swapping... stuff. What happens if it damages appliances? Is Boards responsible by law?

I know Adverts was set up to seperate the wanted/ for sale stuff from boards proper, but I also know there's exceptions.

I'll keep listening to idea for the next couple of days before I mention anything to those above my station, anyways. :)

There's another mod here too so I also need to pass it by him.

There is no requirement on anyone to take parts to the dunp because since wee regulations came in the manufactur has to take the part back automatically

As for legalities. If something is "Sold" to someone in good faith and second hand there is no onus on the seller if it does not work. Equally there is absolutly no chance of boards getting sued.

However if something is given for free as I hope to see it being. Then there is an obligation on the person that accepts the part to dispose of the old one in an environmentally acceptable way.

There is absolutly no legal requirements here, Why? Because as per the manufactures hand book all parts can be "Bought" in a parts centre but must be fitted the a "competant" person. The inclusion of these words assuums that a person capable of fitting the part will and absolbs the manufacturer and ultimatly boards.

This will NOT effect adverts because the parts are going back to the shop when the new applience arrives.

All it will do is make boards more popular increasing advertising revenue and helping people out in times of recession where they would usually "Buy" the spare part from the applience spares shop or abroad

There is no requirement on anyone to take parts to the dunp because since wee regulations came in the manufactur has to take the part back automatically

I was trying to take into account that most suppliers will take larger items back when they deliver the new one. If they don't then its normally up to you to take the old item back to the supplier. So if it takes say 3-4 weeks to check if there are any spares in that old washer that someone wants you can hardly expect the supplier of the new one to take the old one away. At that point they may still be obliged to except it back but if the Tip Recycling Depot is nearer its just as easy to take it straight there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭knighted_1

There is no requirement on anyone to take parts to the dunp because since wee regulations came in the manufactur has to take the part back automati

dont speculate - stick to fact

there is no manufacturers in ireland -what we have is a 'prf' a producers recycling fund -you are charged 5 euros on white goods separate on your reciept for the cost of recycling -you are entitled to return 1 item on a like for like basis when you purchase a new one -if its being delivered you can give it to delivery driver at time of call if its ready -if not you have 30 days to return it to the retailer ,after that they dont have to entertain you .you can drop it to the centres yourself

read here

http://www.weeeireland.ie/consumers.htm

and this

Collection
    Since the introduction of the WEEE Regulations 2005 Consumers can bring their unwanted electrical and electronic equipment to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

The WEEE Ireland map gives details of Civic Amenity centres nationwide with WEEE collection facilities.

In addition Consumers can bring back WEEE within 15 days to Retailers when they purchase new equipment on a like for like basis.

Retailers are also obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection.

Retailers must give 24 hours notice prior to the collection of WEEE.

If 24 hours notice is not given, retailers are obliged to collect WEEE within 15 days of delivery of a new item, provided the item is disconnected from all mains, does not pose a health and safety risk and is readily available for collection. If the item does not meet these requirements, the consumer may return their WEEE to the Retailer themselves within 30 days of the date of delivery.

Consumers can bring used batteries and accumulators to Retailers free of charge as long as the batteries and accumulators are of equivalent type available to purchase from the premises. There is no requirement for a purchase to be made.

Retailers may limit any one consumer to 5kgs of battery returns at any one time and may refuse to accept any waste portable battery leaking any of its constituent materials.

Consumers can also bring their used batteries and accumulators to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

i did not speculate. There is no requirement to take parts to a dump

i did not speculate. There is no requirement to take parts to a dump

Look count me out I'm only trying to be helpful but if we are into bloody point scoring already your welcome to "organise" whatever.

Look count me out I'm only trying to be helpful but if we are into bloody point scoring already your welcome to "organise" whatever.

Your not being helpful you are being critical towards a point that does not really matter. I have not been attempting to score anything

You would be far better off following the thread and contributing towards how we are going to make something work where by we can all benefit from second hand spare parts rather than seing them going back into the recycling loop.

Dont you agree?

Any news folks on this.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

Hi guys

I have been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks. This idea (although a good one and meant for all the right reasons) will just not work.its a huge undertaking.
    If someone is buying a new appliance are they really going to hang on to the faulty one until someone from boards come out to check if they can salvage a part and then let that unqualified person strip a machine in their kitchen for say a motor?
    I have been in the domestic appliance service industry for 15 years and I was actually involved in the introduction of the wee regulations.
    From my experience there just isnt a demand for second hand parts as it causes more trouble then is worth.I know I will get attacked for this post for being negative but although its a great idea Joey, I just cant see it working

gar.k wrote: »
    Hi guys

I have been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks. This idea (although a good one and meant for all the right reasons) will just not work.its a huge undertaking.
    If someone is buying a new appliance are they really going to hang on to the faulty one until someone from boards come out to check if they can salvage a part and then let that unqualified person strip a machine in their kitchen for say a motor?
    I have been in the domestic appliance service industry for 15 years and I was actually involved in the introduction of the wee regulations.
    From my experience there just isnt a demand for second hand parts as it causes more trouble then is worth.I know I will get attacked for this post for being negative but although its a great idea Joey, I just cant see it working

The idea is that you post what you want before hand and anyone throwing appliences out will see but i can see that obsolete parts dont seem to be a problem judging by the lack of interest.

Advertisement