Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

top 5 hip hop groups of all time!!

Options
  • 18-10-2009 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭

hows things me 1st post here so wanted to start of with something simple

my top 5 in no order are

1. wu tang clan
    "36 chambers need i say anymore.. im not countin all the solo stuff like cuban linx etc" showed new york gangsta rap for what it should be grimey hardcore wana blow someones head of kind of music :D"
    2. NWA
    "sold millions of records with little or no radio play. Brought attention to the West Coast and pretty much started gangsta rap"
    3. a tribe called quest
    "golden age hip hop il leave it at that"
    4. run dmc
    "broke down the walls for hip hop music and culture also the first group to get endorsement deals (jam master j best dj ever?)"
    5. outkast
    "showed us the many differnt ways in which hip hop could sound like and also sold more records than any other hip hop group!"

just missed out and deserve a mention pharcyde, de la soul, the roots, gangstarr, public enmy, mobb deep

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Duos aren't really groups though are they?

Special metion to Organized Konfusion (because you're including duos) because they often tend to be forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Why shouldn't duos be included - white strips are a duo, yet would qualify as a rock band!

Off the top of my head, i would say:

5. Little Brother

Two classics, and one very good album under their belt. Great production, particularly back when they had 9th, great rhymes, particularly from phonte, no airs, no graces. Pity that the word on the web is that 'Te and Pooh are probably gonna call it a day as a group. I was hoping for a 9th wonder reunion!

4. Outkast

Not as up on their discography as i should be, and not really feeling andre 300's new space age direction, but their is no denying their impact (probably the last ever diamond hip-hop album), their originality, the boundaries they pushed, and of course, their early work - southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik, ain't no thang, rosa parks, players ball are all some of my favourite songs of all time.

3. ATCQ

Again, not as up on the back catalog as i'd like to be, but am intimately familiar with the anthology greatest hits album. while maybe not the best rhymers, tip and phife had so much charisma and style, production was great, and their impact is undeniable.

2. Wu-Tang Clan

Although they have fallen off a bit in terms of group output, nobody has come close to the Wu in their day. i love everything about them - the kung fu obsession and samples, the raw, aggresive, unadulterated style, the alter egos, the mythology they built up around themselves, and of course the music. rza's early production was brilliant, and with the likes of rae, ghost, meth, odb, rza and gza behind the mic, they were unstoppable. however, in the last few years, they seem to have lost their way a bit, hopefully OBFCL2 can kick start a revival, although i doubt it!

1. The Roots
    There can be no other choice for no. 1 in my book, unless you exclude bands. everything they have touched has been brilliant and original, and they are constantly evolving, changing styles and improving. no roots album has every sounded the same as what came before it, yet each has been brilliant. that trend doesn't look like stopping anytime soon - the new single how i got over is brilliant, with black thought singing to boot (and doing a brilliant job of it too). they are one of the few groups who you can absolutely trust to put out a brilliant product every time.

Honorable mention goes to Gangstarr - never been a mad fan of guru, but preemo's production more than makes up for any shortcoming behind the mic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

1 public enemy
    2 outkast
    3 ice cube
    4 de la soul
    5 nwa

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

including duo's (no order)

Wu Tang Clan
    Organize Konfusion
    A tribe called Quest
    Ultramagnetic Mc's
    Public Enemy/ Outkast/ De La Soul/ The Roots/ Mobb Deep

was going to mention the boot camp clik but i can't choose my favorite duo out of the crew, Enta Da Stage, Da Shinin' and Nocturnal are all classics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 BayCity

Is there no duos allowed or something?

No mention of Eric B & Rakim? Blackstar? Smiff-N-Wessun?

• Advertisement

There's been a duo mentioned in every post so far albeit Outkast in three of them. Somehow Ice Cube got in there too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭qt9ukbg60ivjrn

1. The Roots
    2. Jurassic 5
    3. A Tribe Called Quest
    4. NWA
    5. Wu Tang Clan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

BayCity wrote: »

Would love to give blackstar my number one, but i don't think i can justify their inclusion with only one album together.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

BayCity wrote: »

i mentioned smiff n wessun, their a duo from boot camp clik, was going to mention rakim and eric b and Kool g rap & dj polo but their was only one rapper in those duos

blackstar only have one album so i couldn't pick them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Makaveli wrote: »
    There's been a duo mentioned in every post so far albeit Outkast in three of them. Somehow Ice Cube got in there too...

MAK in my opinion a duo is a group in most cases!! most people in the world of hip hop would consider a duo like outkast mobb deep etc a group let me break it down...

big boi and andre 3000 = Outkast = hip hop group
    prodigy and havoc = mobb deep = hip hop group

a duo is a group bud there is no limit to the numbers you can have in a group it can be 2 or 22 it dont matter

would you call gunit a threeio?? 50,banks,yayo no u would call them a group it is what it is

i said in most cases but the likes of

redman and method man id consider them a duo
    eric b and rakim also a duo why? they dont give themselves as a duo a group name there just known as there artist names...

group, duo, threeio there all the same really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Im not much of a hip-hop aficionado but I think Dalek should get a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Cullo

Binary Star
    The Roots
    Gangstarr
    Blackstar (talib & Mos Def)
    OutKast

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ItsNugget

Big Brovaz
    Puffy & Ma$e
    the lox
    TLC
    Buffalo G

This is Big Bro
    Come to take over the show
    With this Nu Flow
    You need to listen up
    and feel this shi
    Cos we won't quit
    We make them hits
    And stack them chips

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Makaveli wrote: »
    Somehow Ice Cube got in there too...

I was sitting in a bank's IT dept last week in Nairobi and having a sneaky peek at this thread while drinking a cup of tea, lets just say that a new keyboard was needed along with some wipes for the monitor :)

Anyway, I've had some time to think about the best groups:

Wu-Tang Clan are #1
    Boot Camp Clik just because I cant decide between Smif N Wessun, OGC or Heltah Skeltah.
    Doomtree, some might say collective, some might say group.....making some really good music for the past few years and they make what I call perfect music.
    Organised Konfusion - everything they realised was brilliant and listening to them now, thier albums still sound better than most of what i hear these days. They are also working together again.
    I cant pick a number 5, Outkast, NWA, Gangstarr, Group Home (for 1 album), Eric B and Ra, Rootss, De La, ATCQ, Atmosphere, Soul Position, Beatnuts.....it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Jurassic 5

Advertisement