Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Interest In An Irish Squadron for IL2 Online?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

Ive been flying this for years now ...Spent a couple of years with a very elite online squad (and learned a LOT with them -very grateful) but what with two kids arriving ,the VAST amount of time wasted waiting for coops to start ,my squad mates preference for talking in their own language etc Ive been flying solo mostly for the last year or two.
    Do m/any of you guys fly 'full real/switch' on Hyperlobby ?I know there are quite a few irish based guys who are on Hyperlobby but think most are on the 'dark side' flying in those dreaded ,arcade Skies /Wings of Fire/Valor servers .
    I know the FI (Fighting Irish ) squad are VERY good all round and seem to be sound blokes but they arent by any means irish BASED in fact their irish 'credentials' seem to be loser than the irish soccer team !
    So who flys IL2?On Hyperlobby?'Closed Pit'/full real?Interested?
    Maybe we could go online for a flight or two sometime ...heck if they can have a Boards Cycling Club and Boards Drinking Sessions maybe we can have a Boards IL2 Squadron !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm new to IL2, only have it on the XBox, is there much difference playing the PC game?
    I have a decent laptop with a good graphics card so I could handle it that way but never had a proper controller so I dident buy it.
    Should I invest in the game and a good controller, is it hard to get good at it not playing arcade mode?
    I love the game and I am passionate about ww2 so ti is all good for me. I would join an Irish squadron if somebody were willing to coach me a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

I would imagine for most people a twist joystick would be a minimum starting point and Id say a PC more than a laptop would be used by the majority ...XBox IL2 would be a LOT more arcade than the PC version(although by all reports it looks just as good if not better)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Hi!

I bought a saitek x52 to replace a mates broken one, long story short, he didnt need it.

Ive been playing fsx, but today have seen the videos of dogfights and crash landings, and especially the carrier landings :)

Im puzzled though!

Which one do i buy? IL2? Then mod it to 1946?

If you could let me know i would be gratefull, and with practice would be up for joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

You should ONLY buy IL2 Sturmovik 1946 ...no other version is worth considering as you will not be able to patch it up to date for online play.You play online via a program you install called Hyperlobby .There is no ability to play directly online via the game dvd.

Lots of help /info here

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&s=400102&f=23110283

You WONT pick this game up in a few months on max difficulty settings ....I reckon it took me about 3 years !But you can be having a lot of fun in 3 weeks ....It can be frustrating for the first while though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

Thanks for the info, since i posted i checked a LOT of websites and found out what you just told me :)

Bought it day before yesterday, and i love it!

Although the landing and take offs are hard ish, im not having that much problems getting to grips with it ( Yes stalls are turned off )

Atm, im loading quick mission maker, making 12 enemy b17g's, and 11 friendly spitfires, and just practising aiming and turns, with a few adreniline rushing landings with no rudder:D

Love this game a lot, if only i could get the saitek software to not crash when i try and assisn keys, so that i can use my throtle, but even so this game is addictive.

• Advertisement

I have a HP DV6000 laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 graphics card.

Would this be suitable for playing this game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have a HP DV6000 laptop with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7400 graphics card.

Would this be suitable for playing this game?

At low settings you'd get away with it. I'd be up for this online, and indeed posted a similiar request myself a while ago, but I forgot about it because I was busy. Problem is that I'm now in Brisbane and will be here for anything from 1-10 months. IL2 1946 is fantastic, and the aerodynamics can't be faulted, and neither can the gameplay. If only I had a joystick.. and a copy of 1946... and a reliable internet connection :rolleyes:

One warning: Air combat is difficult to master and far harder than it looks. Practice with the 'Ace' AI until you can shoot them down every time on max realism. Prepare to get shot out of the sky a lot online. I highly recommend 'In Pursuit', the online guide to realistic air combat, it's free. Realistic online air combat is sooooo satisfying.

Would it be worth playing if I could only "get away with it"? I dont have much tolerance for jumpy, slow games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Would it be worth playing if I could only "get away with it"? I dont have much tolerance for jumpy, slow games.

I've played it on an older laptop (onboard graphics) and it's been ok, so it should be playable on something with a older but reasonable GeForce. PC is best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

there is an IL Irish squadron

http://www.fighting-irish.org

we also have a listing on UBI soft.

Fly full real (most of the time) fly coops on Sunday night, Dog fights on Wednesday and some Historicals on Friday. Have member from all over the world.

you can see us with the =FI= in Hyperlobby.

If you are flying 4.09m get the HSFX mod. really improves the game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

will this work on vista?, i have heard that xp only for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

it works on XP, VISTA and Windows 7(32/64 bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭medicman

thanks for the reply amen, however i am having a bit of a problem, downloaded (paid) game, downloaded hyperlobby, but still cannot connect to internet?, server on il-2 is 21000, no other servers?, am i doing something wrong?
    thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 MrPint

hello all,
    I would be interested in flying with an online squad from ireland. used to be in 1 years ago of cfs2 and early il2. fly il2 1946 now. what user names do ya fly under in HL. I'm "AirWombat" . Need alot of practice to get back to anything decent, but its a hell lot fun trying:D.

all the best

MrPint

Advertisement