Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil burner/boiler

Options
  • 18-10-2009 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

Help.... my heating system has yet again packed up on me. Last time I had someone around , he told me that I prob will need to replace the boiler. How much is this gonna cost me roughly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

to supply and fit a new oil high efficency condensing boiler, including...new pump, safety valve, pressure vessel and system flush... €2100-2800.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Think I have just gone into shock. Think Christmas has just been cancelled....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Havent checked in a while but are they still giving the grants for the high efficency condensing boilers?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

As DIY is def not my forte (what is a high energy efficency boiler??), where would I check or ask Re: Possible grants?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MiniGolf

appleb wrote: »
    As DIY is def not my forte (what is a high energy efficency boiler??), where would I check or ask Re: Possible grants?
    Go to www.sei.ie/hes
    Grant of €700 available for boiler and controls upgrade.
    Site is very good and explains options well
    You MUST use a registered contractor so you have a good chance of getting a decent job done. My advice to you is what I say to my customers when I am pricing a job.... Get more than one quote and ask lots of questions!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭cmsp.plumber

yes grants available for €700 for boiler and heating controls upgrade or €500 for controls only. new boilers are approx 91-94% older standard efficency boilers are 72-78%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

yes grants available for €700 for boiler and heating controls upgrade or €500 for controls only. new boilers are approx 91-94% older standard efficency boilers are 72-78%.

I think that you would be lucky to get a condensing boiler fitted for under €3000 (in Dublin anyway). Also if you fit a condensing boiler into an existing system, it will not be much more efficient than a standard boiler.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭dingding

What is different about a system that is more efficient of r a condensing boiler.

Not sure what you mean, but a condensing boiler is only more efficient than a standard boiler, when the whole system has been designed for it. There will not be a great difference in efficiency between a condensing boiler and a modern standard boiler, if a condensing boiler is just fitted as a direct replacement, without other modifications to the system layout.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Armadillo

How much is this gonna cost me roughly?

How long is a piece of string? You could be lucky and pick up a boiler\burner for free from someone who has recently upgraded. A new burner could set you back around 500 quid (ref prices from www.boilercare.ie - no affiliation).
    What exactly is wrong with your current heating system - might me worth getting a second oppinion or quotes from installers. JamesM won't set you wrong tough - recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

JamesM,
    What other system modifications are necessary in an existing system to make the condensing boiler more efficient? If the sytem is flushed and a matching upgrade boiler selected other nodifications are surely minimal if any? Apart from piping condensate to drain and replacement of flue of course. Thanks

I know oil burners - I am not an expert in installation and the rest of the system.
    The way I understand it is, if the temperature of the water returning to the boiler is not significantly lower than the flow, then little condensing takes place, and you do not get the high efficiency figures quoted. In a standard system fitted in houses for the last 40 years, once the system has been running for an hour or so, the return temp is only a few degrees lower than the flow. I don't always trust Wikipedia, but this article seems to explain it well. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensing_boiler Read the full article - as far as I can see, the extra efficiency of a condensing boiler really depends on the installation and temp difference between the flow and return. That's why a condensing boiler works well with all the extra piping in underfloor heating - the water is much cooler by the time it returns to the boiler.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭wee bey

Cheers!

The efficiency of a condensing boiler is closely linked to the system design and good installation, commissioning, balancing etc. We have one of URL="http://www.grantuk.com/product/6"]these[/URL] and it is remarkable efficient

Not cheap, tho.....

Advertisement