Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EuroFightXtreme - EFR Fighters Results

Options
  • 18-10-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

From start to finish this was an extremely professionally run and well-organised event - the set up reminded me very much of the UFC event in Belfast's Odyssey Arena (June 07). The event took place at the Braehead Arena with a capacity of 7,000 with some of the top teams across Europe, US and Brazil on the bill.

Peter Wilson was the first of the EFR fighters in action - much of the first round was fought in the clinch with Mark Conner (DNFT) trying for the take down but being prevented with Pete working dirty boxing and short elbows to good effect. The second round saw Pete growing in confidence and putting together good striking combinations; in the third Mark was visibly tiring and finished the fight with Mark against the cage taking some very heavy shots. The fight went to judge's decision with Pete the deserved winner.

Next up was Ronan McKay against Matt Inman (SBG UK) - Ronan had the better of the exchanges in the match up but got taken down against the cage and got caught in a rear naked choke.

Steve McCombe fought next against top 5 ranked European bantamweight Artemji Sitenkov - Steve dominated the fight catching Artemji repeatedly with overhand rights and hooks and kept the fight standing throughout until he got caught from Artemji's jumping guard - Steve worked out of a triangle attempt only to be caught in an armbar. Unfortunately this result does not reflect Steve's dominance throughout the fight up until this point.

Kevin McAlonan's fight against Fred Fernandez was the penultimate fight of the night - we knew Fred would be dangerous at the start with the straight right and he did set this shot up off an inside roundhouse but Kevin slipped it and they clinched up where the action quickly went to the ground with Fred trying to set up a triangle which Kevin came out of and tried for a figure 4 footlock - again Kevin easily worked out of this and gained mount and repeatedly caught Fred with elbows and big rights until the fight was stopped in the 4th minute of the first round. This was a massive win for Kevin against one of Europe's best featherweights.

EFR's Paddy Doherty was in action on Chaos FC against Darren Friel (main event) where he ground and pounded his way to victory in the second round.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

Excellent results Mr P glad to see Irish MMA well represented:)

Brilliant for Kev and Peter, unlucky Ronan and Steve I heard you fought brillant fights like true warriors!!!

Paddy won by corner stoppage between rounds after ground and pound. I apologise as when we wer chattin and I was upset speakin a mile a minute I may have said 2nd :o

Welll done!!!:D

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Huge win for Kevin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Was norman parkes not supposed to compete on this? I think I seen that on the efr site before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 koking

congrats to kevin and pete,real gentlemen of the sport,by the sounds of it all the lads put up great fights,good to see irish mma being represented at such a good level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Mrs Lynch

How did Tommy Egan and Paul McVeigh get on last nite???

Has anyone any links to the fights???:)

Mrs Lynch
    xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Mrs Lynch wrote: »
    How did Tommy Egan and Paul McVeigh get on last nite???

Paul lost by decision, close fight apparently. Didn't know Tom was fighting.

From CW forum:

Chris David bt Paul McVeigh judges dec
    Kevin McAlonan bt Fred Fernandez 4:40 rd1 ref stoppage gnp
    James Doolan bt Hugh Leonardo 4:20 rd1 TKO
    Artemij Sitenkov bt Steve McCombe 1:39 rd2 armbar
    Sergei Grecicho bt John Cullen 0:35 rd1 RNC
    Alan Love bt Franck Vatan 3:46 rd2 ref stoppage due to GNP
    John Quinn bt Ignas Petkas 2:14 rd1 ref stoppage due to GNP
    Olivier Pastor bt Bobbie McVitie 3:49 rd1 guillotine
    Matt Inman bt Ronan McKay 1:32 rd1 RNC
    Andy Wilson bt Micky Madden 2:52 RD1 ref stoppage due to GNP
    Pete Wilson bt Mark Connor judges dec

Apparently the McVeigh fight was super close but David edged it. Tom Egan was on the Eurofight site a while back but his opponent fought someone else. It's a nice card does anyone know if they sold out the arena or what the attendance was. It would be great of they got a full house for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Tom wasnt fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Big win for Kevin alright, fair play to him. Well done to Peter as well, that's his third fight in about a month, that's about my average for a year! :pac:

Yeah Peter seems to be on every card!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Menace2Society

Brilliant results! That is a serious name for Kevin, well done!!

Advertisement