Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of Interior designer

Options
  • 18-10-2009 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi

I got a quote from an interior designer of 325 for a two hour session for advice on a whole house. After that it is 65 Euro per hour. I might need a good few session to get the whole house sorted out.

Is that a good price ? Of course like any service you have to take that chance that it will be a good one but that seems a bit steep in these days.

If anybody has experience of how much interior designers cost I would appreciate it

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Joanne82

Hi Hereos,

I am an interior designer myself and to be honest the inital consultation fee is very expensive. I would generally do a one hour initial consultation for free and take it from there. You are better off to get an overall price as paying by the hour can get very expensive. The designer can spend a lot of time sourcing and doing research when they are not with you and this adds up. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Good luck
    Joanne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The simplist way, is for them to provide the first consultation free, then a fixed fee. Some will look for a percentage of your budget, 7.5 to 8 percent is about right currently, but this is open to corruption. Remember that most designers will also take a margin or kick back from any supplier you use...

To be honest, if they can't calculate a fixed fee, they are either not worth their salt or they intend to hit a target with their hourly rate/percentage...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

Can anyone recommend an interior designer that they have used ? I want a designer who prices by the project and not per hour.

Thanks in advance
    WarrenB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Hi WarrenB

My partner got an interior designer when we moved home last year. We were given the option of per hour or for full project price, we opted for the full project price as this has less variables involved. To be honest even the full project price was cheaper than some of the other quotes we received which was nice. If you want me to pass on the details I can PM you later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...and people complain about the cost of tradesmen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 WarrenB

Wertz wrote: »
    ...and people complain about the cost of tradesmen?

Thanks for your contribution. Very useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

WarrenB wrote: »
    Thanks for your contribution. Very useful.

I wasn't aware the right of reply or opinion was limited to those that would be providing you with useful information. I'll make a note of it for next time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Keep it on topic please :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fumoir

Hi

Im looking for an interior designer- new to boards.ie and just noticed this thread- can you pass me on details of the interior designer mentioned also?

Also Joanne82- you mentioned you are a designer- i am looking for a designer to help out with a new house I bought- is this an area you are in?

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Joanne82

Hi Fumoir,

I sent you a PM with my details.

Joanne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭ishidaogo

See the Interiors Association web site for a list of qualified designers;
    http://www.theinteriorsassociation.ie/directory/

Costs vary but € 100 an hour is reasonable for a good designer whose advice
    can frequently save a client a lot of money by preventing inappropriate purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 iketz0

Sometimes, it's really best to hire a interior designer because they really know what's the best for your house.. Recently, I hire a interior designer because I'm confuse in my window, I don't know what decoration I will put in.. He advise me to put a simple roman shades on it.. And I see that's it really make a nice effect on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dublin3124

Hi Diceicle,

Im looking for an interior designer. Can you pass me on details of the interior designer mentioned also please?

Hi Joanne82, could you also PM me your details please.

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Safa

Hi, I am also looking for an interior designer but I haven't a clue how to choose one. I wonder if their prices have come down in the last few years? Can anyone advise?

Sure, prices have come down by 20% - 40% in the last 3 years.
    check The Interiors Associaton for a list of qualified designers in your area.

www.theinteriorsassociation.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Safa

Thank you for your reply. Will check out that website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dmasf

The best way to choose one is to either believe on referral or to go through its feedback online on internet. You can also specify your budget to them and can get a plan for your home interior designing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Heroes wrote: »
    Hi

I got a quote from an interior designer of 325 for a two hour session for advice on a whole house. After that it is 65 Euro per hour. I might need a good few session to get the whole house sorted out.

Is that a good price ? Of course like any service you have to take that chance that it will be a good one but that seems a bit steep in these days.

If anybody has experience of how much interior designers cost I would appreciate it

thanks

I wish there was a "ROFL" emoticon for this post.

Because that person is a con artist and seriously trying to rob you of you're money.:eek::mad:

Get a few interior design and home make over magazines and books,get a few paint brochures and look at the likes of "Roomers" on RTE and other house make over shows on the various digital channels and do it yourself......FOR FREE.;)

ishidaogo wrote: »
    See the Interiors Association web site for a list of qualified designers;
    http://www.theinteriorsassociation.ie/directory/

Costs vary but € 100 an hour is reasonable for a good designer whose advice
    can frequently save a client a lot of money by preventing inappropriate purchases.

Eh most professional trades people charge 100 euro a DAY and they still have to do research and source materials.Their prices and rates reflect the recession and economic downturn.

100 euro "an hour" for an interior designer is reasonable then????

100 euro an hour me backside.:rolleyes::mad: ( and Im being very polite here).

Get real.

"Eh most professional trades people charge 100 euro a DAY "

Join the real world Paddy147.

If you want a professional job you need to pay professional rates.
    Design rates per hour would now be at a 10 year low and great value
    for the saving in money, time and grief to the client.

• Advertisement

ishidaogo wrote: »
    "Eh most professional trades people charge 100 euro a DAY "

Join the real world Paddy147.

If you want a professional job you need to pay professional rates.
    Design rates per hour would now be at a 10 year low and great value
    for the saving in money, time and grief to the client.

Eh,I AM IN THE REAL WORLD.

I work in the Construction related and IT related sectors,and I do use professional companies,individual professionals and fully qualified skilled trades men and women,but I wont pay "Celtic Tiger" prices.

Ive also recently just completed a major rennovation project that didnt cost me the soon,moon and stars.I also did state (from the very word go) to the various companies,trades men and women,that I wast going to entertain "fantasy prices" and "over inflated prices" for their services either.

Because those days are well and truely gone.

"Some" people need to cop on to that fact,face reality,stop living in a fantasy world and stop duping people out of lots of money.

Who ever quoted the OP them figures is seriously off their trolley and living in a fantasy world.

And also to say that an interiior designer will charge 100 EURO AN HOUR and that its REASONABLE???????

Get real,honestly get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

no disrespect Paddy147 but im just lookin at most of ur posts and a lot of them are "do it ur self". the reason for hireing interior designer or painter or any trademan is to get the job done right and if u hire insured tradesman there is no risk of additional costs if things go wrong.
    Merry Christmas to all.

byrybak wrote: »
    no disrespect Paddy147 but im just lookin at most of ur posts and a lot of them are "do it ur self". the reason for hireing interior designer or painter or any trademan is to get the job done right and if u hire insured tradesman there is no risk of additional costs if things go wrong.
    Merry Christmas to all.

Yes,both myself and my girlfriend like the odd spot of diy and aint afraid to get our hands dirty either.

I work in the Construction and IT sectors and I dont go in for silly meandering answers from people,I get straight to the facts and straight to the point.I regulary hire in professional companies and fully qualified trades men and women for my various projects,who work very hard and also dont charge 100 euro an hour for their professional services.

Myself and my girlfriend (BSC Botanics fully qualified horticulturalist and garden designer) cannot believe or justify an hourly fee of 100 euro.

And when we read the OPs post,we both more or less fell on the floor laughing at it.Its actually that comical and insane.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Folks
    Will you cut out the nit picking and bickering.

Everyone has their opinions, respect them.

I won't warn again.

Happy Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Well I firmly believe in you get what you pay for, now and interior designer is like anyone else so take into account, insurance, van/car. fuel, tools/stationery etc accountant fees the list goes on, and a little over 12 euro and hour just doesn't add up, maybe someone doing a nixer the black market as its known for 100 euro a day then your breaking the law with no come back. as I said you get what you pay for

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

650gs wrote: »
    Well I firmly believe in you get what you pay for, now and interior designer is like anyone else so take into account, insurance, van/car. fuel, tools/stationery etc accountant fees the list goes on, and a little over 12 euro and hour just doesn't add up, maybe someone doing a nixer the black market as its known for 100 euro a day then your breaking the law with no come back. as I said you get what you pay for
    totally agree

MOD NOTE:
    Folks bans will be on the list next if this bickering doesn't stop.
    Keep the thread on track.

Paddy147 infraction given.

yop wrote: »
    MOD NOTE:
    Folks bans will be on the list next if this bickering doesn't stop.
    Keep the thread on track.

Paddy147 infraction given.

Sorry for going off topic Yop,I just felt that it was so hypocritical of someone to slander people over breaking the law (see post 26 above),when they are no saint themselves,they knowingly break the law themselves,post a thread about it,and seem to think that they have done no wrong either.

I,ll keep on track now.Sorry again and happy new year.

Advertisement