Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental property costs - Expense or Capital

Options
  • 18-10-2009 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I have a rental property which I manage myself.

Had to replace the central heating boiler this year (over 20 years old). Is that an expense (to be written off against income this year) or a capital spend (to be written off over 8 years)?

Also, I spent over €1,000 last year on heating & insulation (cavity walls and attic, heating controls). Same question - expense or capital?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mwalsh7

hi,

heating & insulation is defo capital.

The boiler could be put down to repairs and renewals. However you will have to stand over and argue in the case of a Revenue Audit. Make sure the invoice have replacement and repairs!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Its unlikely that installation of a completely new boiler would count as repairs. They come in at about 3k and you have probably enhanced the property significantly. I think you would loose the argument. I would say capital.

Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 11 figures21

Thanks to mwalsh7 and dbran for the replies.

If both are capital, does that mean that I write them off over 8 years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Yes

You will have to write them off over 8 years.

Regards

dbran

Advertisement