Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 18-10-2009 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi boards,Your all probably sick of all these people with no posts coming on and seeking your advice but I can't think of anywhere else to get some 'real' advice...

Basically I left school when I was 16(5th year) trying to be mr cool after my loser friends(ex) convinced me to go to youthreach(you got paid to go to school every week basically) but before I started I got in serious trouble with the gaurds and as a result moved to manchester with my sister and have been working the past year and half,but now im back in ireland(dublin) looking to get back into education? im 18 and sleeping on my friends couch atm
    What can I do?I might try my leaving cert again now that I have a totally different attitude to life? I don't want to have to register on the social welfare and sit at home all day drinking cans of lager I want to go out and do something with my life???? im 18 by the way

FAS is not an option I dispise this place.

thanks to anyone who replies.
    greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Mrlost wrote: »
    Hi boards,Your all probably sick of all these people with no posts coming on and seeking your advice but I can't think of anywhere else to get some 'real' advice...

Absolutely not. :D That's what this place is for - discussion. And those of us that can give advice are only too happy to do so.
    Mrlost wrote: »
    What can I do?I might try my leaving cert again now that I have a totally different attitude to life? I don't want to have to register on the social welfare and sit at home all day drinking cans of lager I want to go out and do something with my life???? im 18 by the way

FAS is not an option I dispise this place.

thanks to anyone who replies.
    greatly appreciated

You know what strikes me about your post? The fact that you are not feeling sorry for yourself, you are not posing yourself as the victim. That is exceptionally mature of you and not the easiest thing to do. From this short insight into your life, you seem to be a decent person with a sense of perspective.

The Leaving Cert probably is the best option, especially now the way things are in the economy. From that, you can go on to bigger and better things, such as a third level course or whatever else you chose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mrlost

Hi Tom,thanks for the reply.

I should have put more of a point to my post,you see I don't know how to get back to education?thats my problem I want to do my leaving cert but where do I go/who to talk to? thats my problem ive spent 3 hours allready in this internet cafe(9 quid) looking through various webpages but no luck?

Im wondering is there a grant scheme or something along them lines for people my age to return to school?I know if im working I will not be able to concentrate on school?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, I agree with Tom Dunne. Head back and do the Leaving Certificate. It will give you the best route for opportunities. Do you have any ideas to what you would like to do after? Sometimes that is a good thing to have in your mind to help motivate you in studying/exams etc.

Dublin VEC is probably the best place to get information on where to sit the leaving cert. I think the site is down at the moment so maybe have a look tomorrow. You might be entitled also to some form of financial support.

Fair play to you for looking for a new direction and not wanting to go on the dole, which I know can be an easy choice for some people.

Advertisement