Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brian Jonestown Massacre

Options
  • 18-10-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

The Alternative & Indie forum is pretty much spot on as to the music I enjoy and I've found many gems while looking through the previous albums of the week. It surprises me that I haven't seen The Brian Jonestown Massacre mentioned here at all. Their psychedelic rock style seems like it would make them popular with the regulars on here but maybe I'm wrong?

Their first album (I think), Methodrone is a fantastic piece of ambient psychedelic rock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Great band!
    Check out the film 'Dig!' - a documentary about them and the Dandy Warhols...
    Absolute Jim Morrison-nutjob of a singer (Anton Newcombe) - really seemed not to want to make it and pushed the self-destruct button at any opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Only know their tunes from the movie and I liked he tunes. Whats a good album to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭keithg89

tepid peppermint wonderland

I love their passion for music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

keithg89 wrote: »
    tepid peppermint wonderland

I think that album is a bit of a behemoth to start off with as it would take a long time to get through all 50 or so songs. I appreciated this one more after listening to their other albums.

I would start with either Bravery, Repetition, and Noise or Methodrone. Take it from the man is a good album but a little different from what they usually do.

EDIT: I had no idea there was a movie. I must give it a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Watched Dig and although I much prefer the Dandy Warhols I got 1 album to give these lads a shot. Wasn't overly impressed although I though Anemone was a great song

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Watched Dig and although I much prefer the Dandy Warhols I got 1 album to give these lads a shot. Wasn't overly impressed although I though Anemone was a great song

Yes, that is one of their best songs. Give Wisdom a listen to, it's similar to anemone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

Try 'strung out in heaven'. They're a great band, absolute headbangers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I love their passion for music

Yes, it's quite infectious, isn't it?
    Bubs101 wrote: »

Funny you should say that. That's on their first album, I think, which I downloaded after wathcing Dig!. It's a great song, really lovely vocal in it. But I thought the rest of the album was muck! But considering they let you download their albums for free I gave Thank God for Mental Illness a shot. It's much more solid. There are five are six quite good songs on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Here are a few songs from that album that I like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

Never big on them,and couldn't stand Anton in Dig.They tried to make him look like a genius,and only suceeded in making an even bigger spectacle of him by showing how he pissed it all away himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

Don't think that anyone in Dig really showed themselves in their best light.

Newcombe was fairly pissed off at how the movie portrayed him and though from my own investigations, he is surely a nutcase, just not as bad as they make him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭loveissucide

As the following collection of quotes shows,the man is very much a weirdo.
    * God knows I do the best I can, so **** everything.
    * I, Anton A. Newcombe, do solemnly swear that the ghost of Brian Jones came to me in the studio and asked me to make this record. P.S. he also asked that I should kick the **** out of old Mick & Keith for ripping off his band, girl and money, having him murdered, being glad he's dead, and not being very nice people.
    * I don't want a ****in' hooligan as my governor, I don't care if he's a billionaire. And he says things like, âI want the children of California to have a wonderful upbringing like I had.' Dude, your dad was in the ****ing SS! What, was he dragging people to the ****in' gas chamber? That's a valid point.
    * If you're so tired we can order an ice cream cake, we can have it delived to the stage.
    o Addressing his drummer
    * People talk about Eric Clapton. What has he ever done except throw his baby off a ****in' ledge and write a song about it?
    * What I want to do is enter the popular lexicon. Like Jimi Hendrix. That's my goal. Not to sell soap. Not to say, 'Look like me, dress like me, sound like me.' Not to get a supermodel girlfriend. None of that ****. I want people to come away from what I'm doing and look at it as a gift.
    * What am I drinking? The sweat off ****ing baby Jesus' loins for all you know.
    * Yeah, we're going to play a great song for you. As soon as Jon Bon Jovi over there shuts the **** up.
    * You know why Guns n' Roses aren't a good band? Because no black people listen to them.
    * Interviewer: Is it important for you to be understood?
    Anton: That would depend on the context of your question. If I was speaking to a doctor, for instance, and describing a medical condition, I would surely want to be understood. On the other hand, if I was creating a secret code, depending on the situation, then I would hope that certain people would not understand anything.
    * The only thing you find in the middle of the road are dead animals and dumb Americans.

Advertisement