Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing from TY to 5th Year

Options
  • 18-10-2009 8:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Im in TY now and i absoloutely despise it, i hate the crowd that are in it, i hate the work we are doing and i hate that my brain is being turned to mush. I just cant see myself lasting a whole year staring at the wall. I heard that there hasnt been much work done in some of the 5th year subjects. Do you think it is possible to change from TY to 5th year now?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

your about 6 weeks behind at the min.

Unless you were a very bright Junior Cert student, I'd stay put. Sometimes its nice for your brain to go to mush :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

i was reasonably bright i suppose i got the best results in my year for the JC. I would be willing to catch up on everything during lunch, holidays etc.
    (i mean it really makes me sick at the thought of doing ty)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I disagree, if you are willing to put in the work over your midterm and weekends you will catch up! It would be hard work, but it can be done.
    It's only if you were doing Chemistry, physics or honours maths that I would be a little concerned, otherwise work hard, talk to your principal and see what can be done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

As soon as you can get into 5th year, the better. The more you wait, the more you will be behind, and therefore less likely to be allowed.

You say you are a bright student. This will probably work to your advantage as teachers would be more willing to accept you into their classes after 1.5 months as they know you will work hard.

Also, remember you will need to buy a whole load of new books, so keept this in mind.

If you catch up hard every night, on the weekends and on school holidays, then there is no reason why you can't be at the same level where everyone else is. In fact, after the mid-term you can probably cover 90% of the work you missed if you put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I'd advise you to stay put......
    You have no idea how much work you've already missed, and, plus, even if TY isn't your thing - why not use the free time you have to get an early start on next year.

The thing about TY is, if you purely rely on the teachers & school on a whole to help you get the most out of TY, then, you'll end up not feeling as though it was a worthwhile year.
    In TY, you need to use your own head to use the time you have in a beneficial way.

I bought a load of the LC revision books & started working on some 5th year coursework in my spare time (which I had a lot of). I also developed my hobbies a lot more and definitely feel that now I'm in 5th year - I used my year well.

If you go into 5th year now at this late stage, you'll just feel so out of your depth.
    I aced my Junior Cert and found the whole thing relatively easy, but, now in 5th year - I'd give anything to have another year of TY, just so I could have a bit more time to get my head around the whole idea of the LC.

It's really tough work at the moment in 5th year, and, I'd really love to swap places with you right now.
    Use TY as a year for yourself - don't waste it like so many other people do by just thinking of it as a doss year.
    Make the most of it, only you know how the year could be made better for yourself. Go for it off your own bat, don't rely on others to make it a good year.

At the end of the day, it's still up to you. But, as someone in 5th year now who at this time last year was feeling pretty much the same way you are - I'm saying stick with it like I did, because, you'll never get that kind of freedom again to do the things school usually restricts you from doing ;)

Let us know what you decide........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

im in 6th year now btw!..
    i reckon you could do it easy enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I reckon you should stay put. In saying that, I had an EPIC transition year and me and my friends spent 5th and 6th wishing we were back in TY. If you are having a really terrible time then I'd say you could probably catch up on what you've missed out but it will require alot of work, especially HL Maths if you do HL. If you do HL Maths, you will have to make sure that ur teacher will be willing to give u extra help because you wont be able to catch up on that subject by reading the book, you will need a teacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Yeah you really dont know how good you have it in TY.We had a terrible TY in reguards to doing stuff but it was still worth the break and memories.5th year and especially 6th year is ALLOT of work so use TY as a chance to have more time with friends(Or make some if thats the case)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Frank, the thing about TY is that you very much get out of it what you put into it. It's a great opportunity to lighten up a bit, broaden your horizons and do all sorts of other things you won't have a chance to do over the next two years.

That said, if you really want out, it would be far more useful to discuss it with some of your teachers than with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Oh dear lord, I would cry if I had to catch up on all the work done so far this year. I guess it depends on what subjects you're doing though.
    You might find settling into all the work so hard. I don't know what it was, but just about every teacher screamed at our classes for now being "leaving cert standard". It takes an awful lot to buckle down at the start of the year.

I'd stick with TY if I were you. I did it, but didn't do anything. I'm kicking myself now that I didn't start Japanese. I love the little I know, but don't have time to learn new subject. Maybe you could start Russian, Polish or another language that you can continue as extra subject for the leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

A girl in my year came up from TY after mid-term last year and she's doing extremely well now. She got 10 As in her Junior Cert and is a very very hard worker, so she's fairly exceptional. Having said that, she didn't move up because she hated TY, she just wasn't able to take part in activities due to a health problem.

If you're going to move, do it soon. I'd recommend staying where you are because catching up will take a hell of a lot of hard work. But if you choose to head straight to 5th year now, good luck :)

Advertisement