Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How far

Options
  • 18-10-2009 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

How far and clearly could a telescope orbiting earth see into space? I mean could it be made to see an earth sized planet light years a way. What are the limiting factors in telescopes allowin us to look into space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We can already see Earth sized planets form light years away with Hubble, the planet just has to pass in front of it's parent star. The max theoritical limit of how far we can see will be limited by the speed at which the universe is expanding, its will begin to expand at such a rate or already has at extreme distance that light for there will never ever reach us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

We can already see Earth sized planets form light years away with Hubble, the planet just has to pass in front of it's parent star. The max theoritical limit of how far we can see will be limited by the speed at which the universe is expanding, its will begin to expand at such a rate or already has at extreme distance that light for there will never ever reach us.
    I mean see the surface of such a planet clearly . I know exoplanets have been detected but only thru inference from the wobble of the local star.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Hubble as it is cannot see the surface of the Moon or Mars in any great detail but that's the way is is designed, it does an OK job on the gas giants though.

I highly doubt we could ever make a telescope in orbit that could see any exoplanets in the detail the LRO took of the Moon and the Mars orbiter of the Red planet.

The shear physical mechanics of making something like that possible would be mind boggling. You'd probably need something crazy like a reflecting mirror the size of the solar system with our understanding of current scope technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

is there a way of analysing light from a planet to see if signature of oxygen and other life related chemicals are being emitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Yup, that's what spectrometers are for (open for correction).

• Advertisement
Advertisement