Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Land Rover Discovery - Key Fob

Options
  • 17-10-2009 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

The misus is having a few problems with the key fob.
    Can I change the battery without messing up the codes. How do I open the thing.
    It has locked the jeep for her but she can't open it now....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Is this a Disco 1 or later Td5 Disco 2 or even D3? Probably both similar in that you only have limited time to change the battery before it goes out of sync. The key fob should just prize apart. I haven't got the RAVE CD for Disco but on a Defender you press unlock 4 times to sync it. If that doesn't work you need the EKA code and go through the alarm over-ride proceedure. I assume you haven't got the owners manual?

If you don't get a sensible answer of a Disco owner here, go to a Disco forum in the UK like on www. landroveraddict.com or the Discovery Owners Club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Have a '98 300Tdi disco myself. Change the batteries fairly frequently on the fobs, as they don't last terribly long. You can just go ahead and swap the battery without having to reprogramme it. Have the right battery to hand, take out the old one, insert the new one and away you go.

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Sound advice from Gil which no-one takes unfortunately!

This includes my brother in law who called me out after a nights shooting and couldn't start his 130, fortunately I was sober! Dead fob battery which he changed but vehicle imobilized and he hadn't heard of an EKA code. Read his alarm with my Nanocom and got him going with the old door opening routine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

May I ask what the door opening routine is?

I'd also like to thank the 2 of ye for your great support and advice in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

EKA is the Emergency Key Access procedure/code. I've pinched the following from a site here as I don't have RAVE on this computer, but it's covered in the downloadable CD's, Autodata and probably somewhere in the owners manual too.... This applies to the two button Lucas type remote fob.

Emergency Key Access Code

• The EKA code is found on the security information card supplied with your vehicle.
    • The code is 4 digits long.
    • The EKA code IS NOT the code in the key fob.
    • The grey plastic tag on the keys IS NOT the EKA code, it is the ignition key code.
    • The EKA code has no connection with the key fob. If you have a new key fob programmed the EKA code will not change.
    • The EKA code is not written in the immobiliser control box.
    • You cannot order a new key fob by the using EKA code.
    • This code should only be used in emergencies, when your key fob fails or it is lost.
    If your code is lost, XXXXXX can extract the code for you, but we will need your either your vehicle or alarm ECU. You can also see your local Land Rover dealer who should be able to obtain the EKA code from the Land Rover database. You may need the vehicle registration document V5 and some dealers will ask for proof of ownership. Land Rover dealers will also make a charge.
    When entering the code, please follow the steps below. The procedure has to be followed exactly as shown below or as described in your handbook or it will not work.
    After 3 failed attempts the system will not let you attempt this procedure again for 10 minutes (30 minutes for Land Rover).
    1. Using the ignition key insert it into the drivers door lock.
    2. Turn the key clockwise to the locking position (the doors will lock) and hold it in this position for at least 5 seconds.
    3. After 5 seconds slowly return the key to a central upright position.
    4. The first digit - Turn the key fully, as far as it can go, anticlockwise to the unlock position (the doors will unlock) then back to the central upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the first digit on your security card.
    5. The second digit - Turn the key fully, as far as it can go, clockwise to the lock position then back to the central, upright position. This should be done the amount of times as the second digit on your security card.
    6. The third digit - Turn the key anticlockwise to the unlock position again, the number of times shown on the security card
    7. The fourth digit - Turn the key clockwise to the lock position again, the number of times shown on the security card.
    8. Once this has been completed turn the key to the unlock position once.
    If the code has been entered correctly, open the door and the red flashing LED light on the dashboard will stop. You will now be able to start the vehicle.
    Problems ?

When turning the key in the lock it must be done with precision and slowly. On some worn locks, you may have to turn the key slightly past the central upright position. If you listen closely you should be able to hear the switches clicking inside the lock.
    According to Land Rover the immobiliser will stay off once this procedure is completed. It should only work again by using a key fob but we have found that this is not always the case. We have come across many vehicles which have become immobilised again after a period of time after using the EKA code, or when the vehicles battery is disconnected or run flat. Do not rely on this system for long periods, get a new key fob.
    DO NOT RELY ON THIS METHOD FOR LONG PERIODS THIS IS ONLY FOR EMERGENCY USE GET A NEW KEY FOB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

I've been away....Only getting back to this now.....Thanks for the replies....

I haven't done anything about this yet...Jeep is open....The lock is in the passenger side....gonna look through the manual now...I pressume I've left it too long now to change battery....

Again thanks.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

if all else fails you can get a new fob for about 50 euro from your local stealer,i mean dealer! and if you talk nicely to them they'll wave the 50 euro programming fee
    the holder that holds the battery in inside the fob is very flimsy, i got sick of stuffing cardboard into mine so payed the money and keep the old dodgy fob as a spare in case i ever lose my keys

Advertisement