Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help in finding a new car...

Options
  • 17-10-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Seeing as some d**khead saw it fit to steal my prized Volvo S40 recently, it looks like I need to start hunting for a new car :mad:, and am in need of some help.

I loved the Volvo, because it was in immaculate condition, had an economical 1.9 litre turbo diesel engine, a really plush interior and was a comfortable ride. The sound-system was also top-notch. On the downside, it usually got parked at the entrance of most construction sites, as it generally couldn't get much further!

I'm open to a 4x4 or a commercial, so long as the engine is diesel and around the 2.0 mark, and I'm hoping to have around €10k to play with. Also, I'd have no problem importing from NI or UK. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

What about a Hyundai Santa Fe? The newer diesels are 2.2 if you can stretch a little bit. They're very cheap at the moment, you might not have to leave the country for one!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

What about a Hyundai Santa Fe? The newer diesels are 2.2 if you can stretch a little bit. They're very cheap at the moment, you might not have to leave the country for one!

Thanks Capt. I test-drove one today, and it ticked most of the boxes - it was a 2007 with about 70k on the clock. The dealer is looking for €15,000 for it, but there's no way I'll stretch to that. I've come across a few high-spec older 2.0 litre diesel models (e.g. leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc.) on autotrader for less than GB£6,000. Do you know much about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

If you're buying one, check it's had a timing belt around the 60k mile/100k km mark - it's an expensive item to replace. Dual mass flywheels can give trouble, and are expensive to replace.
    Other items to go are drop-links and D bushings, but aren't expensive to replace.
    Apart from that, not a lot goes wrong with them - just service them regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Carstuck

How about a Suzuki Grand Vitara. They're a 2l diesel. I have the older one and they're a great jeep. Good on diesel as well

• Registered Users Posts: 51,199 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Thanks Capt. I test-drove one today, and it ticked most of the boxes - it was a 2007 with about 70k on the clock. The dealer is looking for €15,000 for it, but there's no way I'll stretch to that. I've come across a few high-spec older 2.0 litre diesel models (e.g. leather, sunroof, heated seats, etc.) on autotrader for less than GB£6,000. Do you know much about them?

Here is a 07 commerical for €11,500 though I think it could be one of those scams so common on carzone:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200940195359959

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2.2 litre diesel Honda Accord i-CTDI. I'm specifically looking at the EX (or Executive model) - a 2006 UK import with Sat Nav, bluetooth kit, etc., looks to be the business. The quoted fuel consumption is impressive, and as it's a Honda I have no doubts about reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anyone have any thoughts on the 2.2 litre diesel Honda Accord i-CTDI. I'm specifically looking at the EX (or Executive model) - a 2006 UK import with Sat Nav, bluetooth kit, etc., looks to be the business. The quoted fuel consumption is impressive, and as it's a Honda I have no doubts about reliability.

Tax will be pricey enough at €823 a year. That's about the only bad thing about them, and personally I don't like the "wood" trim that most have.

Apart from that, it's all good.

Wonderful car, you'll be leaving her at the site entrance though !

Advertisement