Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Rising\War of Independence in Fingal?

Options
  • 17-10-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hello everyone, I'm looking for information related to 1916 - 1922 in the Fingal area. I've some information on the Sacking of Balbriggan, and individuals such as Thomas Ashe (who trained for the Rising in Corduff, Blanchardstown) and Richard Coleman (a Swords-born Volunteer who fought in the GPO, and later went on hunger strike); but would appreciate more like where I could find eyewitness accounts and so on. Please don't hesitate to e-mail me if you know of anything else, or where I could find such information, I've several possible avenues already.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Mr. A wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I'm looking for information related to 1916 - 1922 in the Fingal area. I've some information on the Sacking of Balbriggan, and individuals such as Thomas Ashe (who trained for the Rising in Corduff, Blanchardstown) and Richard Coleman (a Swords-born Volunteer who fought in the GPO, and later went on hunger strike); but would appreciate more like where I could find eyewitness accounts and so on. Please don't hesitate to e-mail me if you know of anything else, or where I could find such information, I've several possible avenues already.
    I think there is a large Celtic cross in Finglas village dedicated to the men of the period 1916 - 1921. If so, by reading the names inscripted it should lead you to some more information. Also contact the Finglas Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail cumman, I'm sure someone in either would be able to help you as both should be big on the area's history even if you don't happen to agree with their politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

McArmalite wrote: »
    I think there is a large Celtic cross in Finglas village dedicated to the men of the period 1916 - 1921. If so, by reading the names inscripted it should lead you to some more information. Also contact the Finglas Sinn Fein or Fianna Fail cumman, I'm sure someone in either would be able to help you as both should be big on the area's history even if you don't happen to agree with their politics.

the cross in the village is dedicated to Dick McKee , but cant remember if anyone else is mentioned on it. it was unveiled by DeValera. i think FF would run a mile if you ask them about it . it was FF who brought over the english hangman for Charlie Kearns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Mr. A wrote: »
    PM sent

Advertisement