Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for Litter Louts offer!

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

In a strong Statement Fianna Fail back bencher Gerard O' Donoghue demands
    prison sentences for Litter Louts! :eek:

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Surely a higher fine (and enforcement) would be more sufficient. Prisons are already full as it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Actualy more better enforcement would be the way to go, existing laws are fine but are just not being enforced :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Sure you can already be jailed. If you don't pay the FPN. Court appearance. Fine, or Fine and jailed.

Justice system is a joke anyway. You get a longer sentance for thrown a smoke or chewing gum on the ground. Then you do robbing a bank or murdering someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

In westmeath several people have being fines 750 euro + costs and had their driving licence endorsed/suspended (cant remember which) for leaving an empty box or similar at bring banks.

not to turn it in to a legal discussion but at the moment if you fail to pay a fine and you are on the dole our judge will drop fine down to 25euro. Also he tried to sentence a man for failure to show for a litter fine. He gave his judgement but had to change it later as I think breeches of the Litter Act are not criminal offences.

Even if fined heavily in court ask yourself this who collects the fines?
    If this person states that the didn't have the ability to pay they dont pay. Plus they dont take goods to the value either. Its all a bit of a joke unless your working and then your nailed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm closing this thread pending clarification from the OP (which is unlikely to be forthcoming). I think it is more of a legal discussion in any event – I’m sure most will agree littering is not good and offenders should be punished.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement