Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter training

Options
  • 17-10-2009 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭

Its been a while since I made a contribution to the training logs so I think its about time I started a new log to track my training (and hopefully progress;)) over the winter months.

I was debating whether to start another log at all but in the end the deciding factor was all the good input and advice I got from boardsies on my last log. I found that sort of stuff invaluable and it really helped tbh. Having said that new commitments (in the form of work and study) mean this log wont be as regular as the last one but Ill do my best.

Anyone who followed my last log (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055498576) will know my main focus at the moment is track so with that in mind Im looking to take the chance over the winter to work on some weaknesses and get into good shape for next summers track season.

My weakest area is my endurance/strength. I struggle to hold a decent pace over an extended distance. I feel XC season is the perfect opportunity to work on this and Im once again following a Jack Daniels programme.

The XC training should be just right as it includes lot of longer intervals and hard tempo workouts. Ill also be focusing on upping the mileage and increasing the distance on my longer runs. The training during the cold wet Irish winter and the tough XC races should also leave me in good shape come next summer.:D

My PB's at the moment are as follows:

Mile: 5:16
    5k: 19:16
    10k 49:08 (From last December;))

The major goals this winter will be to reduce those 5k and 10k times (I said when I started my last log my medium term goals were an 18:28 5k and a sub 40 10k) and I might even have a go at the Goal mile at Christmas and see if I can take anything off my mile PB. Its hard to set goals for XC because its something completely new to me but Id be happy with a few good showings at the BHAA XC events.

As I said before any comments, criticism or advice is always welcome and I hope you enjoy reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

After I finished the track season last August I took a couple of weeks off and just took it easy. Did some swimming, cycling and weights and I really enjoyed that.

I started back first week of September. Nothing but easy running for the first six weeks. When I did a similar "base phase" for track last March I felt, in hindsight, Id gone too slow on the runs so I added in some running at a bit of a higher effort but still relatively easy and no great stress.

I did 40 mpw for the first three weeks and upped it to 47 mpw for the second three weeks.

HR was very high (relative to effort) during the first week but I soon got back to normal. Most of the runs were done at around 8:00-8:45 min/mile pace which is normal for me (though still infuriating as I'd like my easy pace to be faster than this....hopefully the winter training will see to that).

From last week I started to introduce some faster running in the form of short 200/400m intervals with full recovery.

I do two workouts a week. Monday is 6x400m and 8x200m and Saturday is 4x200m and 8x400m all with equal jog recovery. The point of this is just to get a bit of speed back into the legs, get used to running fast again and also introducing workouts after the easy running without them being very taxing.

As expected Ive lost some speed from the legs with my 200's being around 37-38 secs (which Im happy enough with tbh) and the 400's ranging from 1:17-1:20 (would like them a bit faster). The point of these is to do them as relaxed as possible and stay in control...their certainly not flat out sprints. Its early days yet so I dont want to force anything.

Ive also upped the mileage again to 53 mpw and it actually feels good. I managed 62 miles over 7 consecutive days over the last couple of weeks so I was very happy with that.

Long runs are up to 13 miles and Ill do a 14 miler tomorrow.

All in all I feel its going well and Im happy with where Im at right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

That's a solid, consistent base. You'll go well off that.

In relation to the 200s and 400s - you said these were just to get speed back into the legs, so fair enough, but as you are going to be racing xc, 5k and 10k are you planning on doing longer reps - 1k/1mile reps? If you're strength/endurance is your weakness, these might be good for you, i.e. you might be better off doing 1ks at 6.30pace than 200s at 5.00pace for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'll be following this one as we have similiar goals. Couple of questions, do you plan to introduce hills, do you think 200's are the right session for this time of the year if your weakness is strength / endurance?
    I struggle with the same weakness and love 400m and less for intervals, but that is working on my strength rather than my weakness, I'll be adding plenty of hills, long intervals (4mins +) and tempos to the diet this Winter.

Ok my initial attempt at keeping this log up to date didnt go too well but Ive started doing proper workouts now so hopefully my posts on here will be a bit more regular.

Apologies to Racing Flat and Beepbeep as well for never replying.....thats rude of me and I apologise.
    That's a solid, consistent base. You'll go well off that.

In relation to the 200s and 400s - you said these were just to get speed back into the legs, so fair enough, but as you are going to be racing xc, 5k and 10k are you planning on doing longer reps - 1k/1mile reps? If you're strength/endurance is your weakness, these might be good for you, i.e. you might be better off doing 1ks at 6.30pace than 200s at 5.00pace for example.

The serious stuff is starting now RF.....Ill have 9 weeks of doing quality intervals and tempo runs.

Basically the 200's and 400's were just something to do as I was building the mileage. Didnt want to introduce hard workouts while I was increasing mileage....Im quite comfortable running up near 60 mpw now so I feel good to start some harder stuff.

I also feel 9 weeks is enough to be doing hard demanding workouts. If I did it for much longer I feel I would get stale and would'nt be giving the workouts everything. I know now I have 9 weeks, so Im really focused on getting the most out of that time and running quality workouts.

Essentially the 200's and 400's were glorified strides...but they certainly have their benefits.

I'll be following this one as we have similiar goals. Couple of questions, do you plan to introduce hills

Dont plan on doing any hills Beepbeep.

Im trying to take a more long term outlook and running really well in XC this season is'nt a big priority for me.

I feel over the winter Ill be introducing the new stress of higher mileage and longer workouts, I dont need hills right now to improve.

Now next year when Im more used to the higher mileage and longer workouts the hills will be a new stress and a new stimulus to improve hopefully.

• Advertisement

Well as I mentioned Ive got the mileage up near the 60 mpw range....unfortunately with work and other commitments it tends to be on the lower side so around 57 or 58 mpw.

Did my second 15 mile long run yesterday and felt strong throughout.

Monday:
    First proper workout today. Didnt want to jump right into anything mad so the plan was 3 minute intervals with 3 minute recoveries. Was hoping to do them on grass but the park was completely waterlogged and I had no grip so I felt Id get more value out of the workout by doing it on a stretch of pathway.

Used to do 800m intervals in 3 mins so decided to set the garmin for 800m and they went as follows:

1. 2:40
    2. 2:54
    3. 2:53
    4. 3:01
    5. 2:52
    6. 3:02
    7. 2:56
    8. 3:04

As I was doing the workout I noticed the path was on a very slight gradient so half of them were slightly uphill and the other half slightly downhill.

All in all very very happy with today's workout. Felt smooth and relaxed and the workout felt very manageable.

Going to do 6x1000m instead next week and see how it goes but today was encouraging.

Tuesday:

2.5 mile warm up
    30 minute @ Tempo pace (6:53)
    2.5 mile warm down

Dark evenings mean options are limited so had to do this on the treadmill. Whacked on a 1% incline and just kept the HR in tempo range.

Again just tried to stay as relaxed as possible and maintain good form. Felt very good and I was surprised how fresh the legs felt after the Long run on Sunday and intervals yesterday (it wasn't out of choice these were so close together).

Anyway another good workout and Ill have a few easy days now before another semi-tough workout on Saturday.

Wednesday: Rest day

Thursday:
    6 miles easy. 8:32 min/mile. Av. HR 71%. Turned into a pretty horrible run. Ate a burger at lunch and my stomach was in knots. Was hoping to do 7 miles but had to cut it short.

Friday:
    7.5 miles easy. 8:00 min/mile. Av. HR 77%. Very nice relaxing run.

Saturday:
    Fartlek

3.4 miles warm up
    3x800m with 1 minute recovery(3:11, 3:09, 3:21)
    5x400m with 30 sec recovery (1:34, 1:35, 1:38, 1:33, 1:37)
    10x200m with 30 sec recovery (51, 48, 48, 49, 48, 46, 46, 47, 44, 41)
    2 mile warm down

My god I have never been so happy to see a hot shower in my life. Times are slow but I would'nt read too much into it. Weather was atrocious and I did them on a waterlogged pitch. Absolute mud bath but sort of enjoyable in a masochistic way.:)

Sunday:
    15 mile long run. 8:13 min/mile. Av. HR 77%. Conditions pretty brutal again, lots of mud dodging. Done over a nice hilly route. Felt good and happy with this.

Pretty solid week, 58 miles and some good workouts. Very happy with that.

Next couple of weeks could be potentially awful training wise with other commitments but Im determined to keep the ball rolling.

Monday: 8 miles easy. 8:15 min/mile. Av HR 75%

Tuesday:
    Interval workout

4.25 miles warm up
    8x1000m with 3 minute recovery
    1 mile warm down

Very messy run this. Planned to do it on the track because it was pitch dark and bucketing rain...got to the track in Irishtown and for some reason the stadium was closed:mad:. Usually their are people training in the park across the way so there's some light there but there was nobody there either so I decided to run back and do it on the grass pitch in Trinity....got their and the gate was closed so had to run all the way down fecking Pearse street.

By the time I started the workout I had run over 4miles, it was absolutely freezing, bucketing rain and the place was desserted and it really leftme questioning my sanity......I mean are all runners absolutely stark raving mad?

Anyway times were:

1. 3:49
    2. 4:00
    3. 3:57
    4. 3:49
    5. 3:48
    6. 3:49
    7. 3:57 (Little longer than 1k)
    8. 3:51 (Little longer than 1k)

Times a bit inconsistent but conditions were absolutely brutal...must say it was a pretty miserable run this.

Wednesday:
    Rest day.

Thursday:

1 mile warm up
    30 minute tempo run (6:49 min/mile)
    1 mile warm down

Did this on the treadmill and it was another messy affair. Started at 2% incline at 6:49 pace was going fine for 20 minutes and then I whacked the earphones in to give me a bit of a boost for the last 10 mins. Anyway Ipod fell off the treadmill so I stopped to pick it up....got back on restarted it and I was bopping along for 5minutes thinking to myself it felt very easy for some reason. I couldnt fathom what it was but after about 5 minutes I copped on that there was no incline on:mad:. So I whacked the incline back up to 2% and just set the pace for 6:40 and did 8 more minutes.

Pretty much ruined this workout which was very frustrating.

Friday:
    A bit over 8 miles easy. 8:16 min/mile. Av HR 76%.

Saturday:
    Fartlek. Planned to do it on grass but other commitments meant I couldnt get out until the evening so just did it on the road.

3 miles warm up
    3x800m with 1 minute recovery (2:51, 2:53, 2:52)
    5x400m with 30 sec recovery (1:24, 1:24, 1:27, 1:24, 1:26)
    10x200 with 30 sec recovery (42, 41, 41, 42, 40, 41, 41, 40, 39, 41)
    2.5 miles warm down

All nice and relaxed and controlled. Very happy with this workout.

Sunday:
    15 mile long run. 8:20 min/mile. Av HR 73%.

Found this very tough going. Pretty tired after a busy and stressful week so couldnt get the HR up at all.

So 60 miles this week. Workouts were a bit messy and not as effective as I would've liked but got some good running in and happy with my mileage. Next weeks going to be another busy one but things should calm down a bit after that.

Did the Jingle Bells 5k today and conditions were perfect...not to cold, not to warm and no wind.

Its been too long since my last race (about 4 months ago:eek:) so I wasnt sure what to expect. Its been a hellish week, very stressful, and I had a Christmas party on Thursday night so I was'nt expecting much. Added to that I did my 8 miles last night and my achilles started acting up. One thing in my favour though was that due to work this week I missed by interval session on Wednesday so the legs got a bit of a break. With all that in mind I decided to aim for sub 19 (my pb is 19:14) and tried to keep to 3:48 kilometres.

Start was mental with complete disregard for the signposted starting positions. I tucked into the sub 18-sub 20 section but when I saw the masses in front of me I knew it would ruin my race so I had to move up a bit. I tried to start aggressively and went through the first K in 3:41. I felt great though, very relaxed at that pace and not a peep from the achilles which had been sore during warm-up.

For the second K I just focused on relaxing into a nice even rhythm. I have a habit of relaxing too much after the start and slipping off pace so I paid attention to keeping the legs moving and went through 2k bang on target at 3:48.

I pretty much held that pace until the half way mark and then started to pick it up a bit. I focused on overtaking a few runners and upping the pace and it worked for me as I ran 3:44 for the third k.

I was still feeling pretty strong, and I was'nt hurting anywhere near as bad as I was when I set my PB, so I pushed the pace a bit again. 4k split was 3:39 and I was'nt dying so that was very encouraging.

I dropped the hammer on the last k going down into the Glen and I continued to push on up the hill passing a few runners. I sprinted like mad for the finish and caught up with the guy in front of me. I passed him but he responded and I made the absolute schoolboy error of tensing up so he pipped me:mad: Ran 3:17 for the the last k to cross the line in 18:14 by the watch and a pretty big PB.

So my splits were:

1k-3:41
    2k-3:48
    3k-3:44
    4k-3:39
    5k-3:17

Gutted about my mistake at the end but absolutely thrilled with my new PB. Really really surprised I went that much under 19. I think I paced myself well looking at those splits. Felt relaxed right through the race and maybe I took it a bit too easy at the start (setting my old PB felt much much tougher). All in all a very enjoyable to race and all credit to Donore as for the most part it was organised very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great pb today and excellent training by ya last while, like the interval and tempo session you had last week..well done!:D

Official time for my 5k was 18:18 so took a while getting across the start line. Full of confidence that I can go under 18 over the winter now and I'm loving training at the moment but this week has been awful.

Monday:
    9 miles easy. 8:11 min/mile. Av. HR 74%

Tuesday:

1 mile warm up
    30 minutes @ tempo pace (6:49)
    1 mile warm down

Went smoother than last weeks tempo. Tempo runs are definitely the toughest of all workouts for me but felt pretty good after it.

Wednesday:
    Work got in the way today so no running.:mad:

Thursday:
    Christmas party today so again no running...that sounds like such a weak excuse as I write it.:P

Friday:
    8 miles easy. 8:17 min/mile. Av.HR 76%.

Saturday:
    5k race. Gun time 18:18. Report above.

Sunday:
    Achilles really sore today so had to give this run a miss. Its a dodgy injury to get so Im playing it very cautious...icing it aggressively, talking anti-inflams and elevating the leg.

Interestingly it started to come on on Wednesday when I was just walking around....it was noticeable but completely manageable on Friday and Saturday during warmup and warmdown so Im just throwing caution to the wind....I really dont want it to develop into something serious. I'm sure the reason it came on was tight calves. I've been neglecting stretching lately and I've always suffered from very tight calf muscles so this is something Im going to have to pay more attention to.

I took today (Monday) off as well so Im raring to go for tomorrow and will try 8 miles easy.

This week has been an absolute disaster!

Monday:
    Took my rest day today to give the achilles some extra healing time.

Tuesday:
    8 miles easy. 8:06 min/mile. Av. HR 79%. Took it easy on this as achilles still a bit sore. Felt much better though.

Wednesday:
    Plan was 8x1000 with 3 minutes recovery.

Was jogging gently, just about to start my fifth interval and my right calf just completely seized up. My leg completely froze and I could'nt move it, it was very painful.

Anyway after rolling around on the ground for a few minutes I got some movement back. It was very sore but I was able to run on it and so I did two more intervals. So after a 2.5 mile warm up the workout went:

1. 3:34
    2. 3:39
    3. 3:38
    4. 3:43
    5. 3:45
    6. 3:47

Was actually very pleased with those times as I was doing the intervals over muddy uneven xc terrain.

Did a 2 mile warm down but leg was very very sore. May not have been the best idea to run on.

Thursday:
    Calf in bits today. Definitely could'nt run on it. Very swollen so Ive been icing, elevating, taking ibuprofen and I bandaged it up.

Friday:
    Still very sore. Has'nt got much better. No running again.:(

Saturday:
    Leg felt much better today. Not 100% but felt ok to run on.

8.8 miles easy. 7:30 min/mile. Av. HR 80%.

This run actually felt fantastic. I dont know whether it was the fact I was well rested but I just felt great, so smooth and relaxed and the run felt effortless.

Calf felt much better and I think the run actually did it some good....achilles still a bit niggly though.

Sunday:
    Plan was a 15 mile long run. Only got to 3 miles and the stomach was in bits so I looped back to the house to go to the toilet. Felt awful and achilles didnt feel great so I called it a day. Very very disappointing. 4 miles. 7:49 min/mile. Av. HR 78%.

Its been a very frustrating couple of weeks. The calf is ok now but Im just keeping an eye on the achilles. Thing is its ok at the moment but its a serious thing if it develops so Im walking on eggshells with it.

The plan now is to get in two solid weeks of training, get my workouts in and the mileage back to where it should be and then run the Tom Brennan 5k on New Years. Need to get the stretching in as well as tight calves are causing all sorts of problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Wednesday:[/B] Plan was 8x1000 with 3 minutes recovery.
    Some session there, are you folloing a specific plan now, i'd doing session something similar but not as many reps but with shorter recovery.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Some session there, are you folloing a specific plan now, i'd doing session something similar but not as many reps but with shorter recovery.

Yeah Im following Jack Daniels XC programme.

I get in plenty of time running at or near my VO2 max with this workout. I try to do the intervals as relaxed as possible just to get used to the intensity. I'm hoping it stands to me in longer races like 10k's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Yeah Im following Jack Daniels XC programme.

I get in plenty of time running at or near my VO2 max with this workout. I try to do the intervals as relaxed as possible just to get used to the intensity. I'm hoping it stands to me in longer races like 10k's.

What pace would the 1k reps be at around 5k pace or faster as the recovery is a bit longer? I'm a believer in shorter recovery but thats prob been drilled into my from my junior days .

shels4ever wrote: »
    What pace would the 1k reps be at around 5k pace or faster as the recovery is a bit longer? I'm a believer in shorter recovery but thats prob been drilled into my from my junior days .

I suppose if I was doing them on the track/road I would be aiming for goal 5k pace (so about 3:37) but the fact that I do them over xc surface I tend to focus more on effort and just run them at a hard effort while trying to stay relaxed (so not flat out killing myself).

Shorter recovery makes a lot of sense. I often debate whether to do 6x1000 with 2 minutes recovery instead (and naturally they would be a bit slower).

The way I look at it Daniels stuff has worked well for me so far so I dont really have any reason to try something different and I feel like its working well for me now.

Shorter recovery is definitely an option though and I would have no hesitation trying it if I felt I needed to change things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

how is the calf and achilles RB?

kennyb3 wrote: »
    how is the calf and achilles RB?

Healing up nicely thanks Kenny.

Calf is completely mended now it seems. Achilles is very quite too but a session over muddy terrain yesterday caused a bit of a niggle again. Still its barely noticeable and fine to run on thank god.

Monday: 8.9 miles easy. 7:39 min/mile. Av HR 79%. Very enjoyable run.

Tuesday:

2.5 mile warm-up
    8x1000 with 3 minute recovery
    2.5 mile warm down

Times were:

1. 3:49
    2. 3:42
    3. 3:40
    4. 3:38
    5. 3:43
    6. 3:40
    7. 3:42
    8. 3:46

Done over xc terrain, aim was 3:45. Tough workout but very happy with my times.

Decided to give Kinesio tape a try to try and ease up the pressure on the achilles...The stuff is absolutely amazing. The minute I put it on my leg felt better and I made ti through this session without a peep. Achilles felt fine the day after too. Really cant recommend it enough.

Wednesday:

1 mile warm up
    30 minutes @ tempo pace (6:35)
    1 mile warm down

To avoid putting too much pressure on the achilles I knocked the gradient off today and just upped the speed a bit. Great workout, felt very relaxed and my HR was exactly where I wanted it (88-92%)

Thursday:
    Day off

Friday:
    8.8 miles easy. 7:38 min/mile. Av HR 77%.

Must say these easy runs are feeling pretty great of late. I dont know what it is but there just feel so relaxing. Consumed copious amounts of Guiness over the last two days but luckily didnt seem to affect the run too much.

Saturday:

2.5 miles warmup
    3x800m with 1 minute recovery (2:59, 2:59, 2:58)
    5x400 with 30 second recovery (1:28, 1:23, 1:28, 1:26, 1:28)
    10x200 with 30 second recovery (44, 45, 44, 43, 42, 42, 42, 44, 42, 38)
    2.5 miles cool down

Aim for the 800's was 2:59, 400's 1:29 and 200's 44. Delighted with this workout.

Did over very muddy ground which seems to have aggravated the achilles a bit.

Sunday:

AM-5 miles easy
    PM-12 miles easy

Garmin went haywire today so no idea of pace (my usual easy pace Id say).

Would've loved to get a proper long run in today but had a lecture all day and so had to split it up. Achilles fine today.

Great week of training for me though. 62 miles in total for the week. Legs feeling very tired now but thats to be expected. Another couple of weeks like this and Ill be very happy.

• Advertisement

Monday: Really wanted to get out today but could'nt fit it in.

Tuesday:

2.5 warm up
    2.5 warm down

1. 3:43
    2. 3:45
    3. 3:41
    5. 3:42
    6. 3:44
    7. 3:47
    8. 3:45

Had another fill of drink last night so this was tough going:rolleyes: was completely gassed for the last two but happy enough with the times.

Wednesday:

2.5 warm up
    30 minutes @ tempo pace (6:47 min/mile)
    2.5 warm down

Was a little apprehensive about this because its been months since I did a proper tempo run that was'nt on a treadmill.

Absolutely glorious day, did it over soft ground in the park and felt relaxed and controlled throughout. Av HR was 87%. Maybe a little on the low side (took a while to get the HR into tempo range) but happy with this workout.

Thursday:
    10.2 miles. 8:32 min/mile. Av HR 75%.

Absolutely wiped today, legs so tired and heavy. This run was a real struggle.

Friday:
    Crimbo. No running today as a rule.:D

Saturday:

2.5 miles warm up
    3x800m with 1 minute recovery (2:57, 2:57, 2:58)
    5x400m with 30 sec recovery (1:27, 1:28, 1:27, 1:27, 1:28)
    3x200m with 30 sec recovery (47, 46, 45)
    3.5 miles warm down

Planned to finish with 10x200 but the body just was'nt up to it so I called it a day after 3 and Im glad I did tbh.

Happy with the times for the 8's and 4's. 200's were a bit of a disaster.

Cant be too upset as at least I got some quality in.

Sunday:
    Long run. 15 miles. 8:23 min/mile. Av HR 75%.

Trails in the park were pure mud today so slow going.....spent most of the time slipping and nearly broke my neck on one occasion.

A little slower than I would've liked but its nice to finally get a long run in again (its been too long since my last).

All in all I felt very tired and flat this week. Its unfortunate that the most important/intense few weeks of the programme has coincided with Christmas. To be perfectly honest Im probably enjoying myself a little too much this Christmas;) I dont feel too guilty but I think it does have an affect.

Anyway just one week of the hard stuff left and then I start tapering and hopefully peaking for races. I might add on another week due to the workouts I missed through injury but we'll see how I feel.

New Years day 5k next week as well which should be interesting.

Monday: 8.8 miles easy. 8 min/mile pace. Av. HR 76%.

Tuesday:

2.5 mile warm up
    2.5 warm down

1. 3:46
    2. 3:38
    3. 3:44
    5. 3:40
    6. 3:46
    7. 3:50
    8. 3:46

Was dreading this workout...conditions were horrible but it actually worked out a very enjoyable session. Felt much more doable than usual even though conditions underfoot were pretty bad.

IT band a little tight and sore the last few days but Im strecthing it and its not causing too many problems.

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:

2.2 miles warm up
    30 minutes @ tempo pace (6:56)
    2.3 miles warm down

This was pretty horrible tbh. I did it through muck and puddles so it was shockingly slow really but it felt really really tough.

Average HR was 91% which is the right range for a tempo so was happy enough with that but in hindsight maybe I should've done it on solid ground.

Friday:
    9 miles. 8:17 min/mile pace. Av HR 80%.

I love running in the snow so really enjoyed this even if it was slow going. Actually slipped at one stage but luckily no harm done.

Saturday:
    Fartlek

2.25 warm up
    3x 800m with 1 minute recovery (2:58, 2:59, 2:59)
    5x 400m with 30 sec recovery (1:29, ?, 1:28, 1:30, 1:29)
    10x 200m with 30 sec recovery (45, 42, 45, 42, 42, 42, 43, 42, 41, 39)
    2.25 warm down

Really good workout. Did it on grass and local park was covered with snow so happy with the times. Tough workout but very enjoyable. Garmin went haywire for the second 400 so not sure of the time but similar to all the others.

Sunday:
    Long run. 15.4 miles. 8:36 min/mile pace. Av HR 78%.

Set off on my usual long run course....made it about 400m and I realised no way was I running on roads so turned around to get the car to drive to the park. Got home and realised my brother had abandoned the car at a friends house last night and got a taxi home.:rolleyes:

So I had to go to the local park and do 15 feckin laps of it!

I was dreading it but it actually turned out ok. Again conditions made it very slow going and even crossing the footpaths between grass sections was pretty lethal.

for the last 3 miles or so I included some pickups, 30 seconds at 10k pace every 3 minutes which felt pretty good.

So 62 miles this week and three good workouts. Some of the runs were a little slower than I would've liked due to conditions but overall thrilled with this week.

So thats the end of the toughest phase of the programme. Tbh the last few weeks have been pretty tough and I felt exhausted a lot of the time.

Timing wise this phase has coincided with Christmas and the bad weather which was'nt ideal....despite running around 60 miles per week I've actually managed to put on about 4-6 pounds over Christmas which highlights the level of excess and gluttony!!!!!(Worth it though;))

On to the final phase now where the focus will be on peaking for races. Ill cut the long run back to about 10 miles and the workouts will be shorter (Ill be keeping the 30 minute tempo run though) so overall mileage will drop.

One thing I've been disappointed with is my lack of racing...only one 5k so far but this was down to injury/other commitments so I couldnt really do much about it.

Feeling pretty wrecked at the moment so it will be interesting to see if I can run some good times after a tough few weeks.

Well its been a pretty miserable couple of weeks, with the weather, work, exams, a sore foot and race cancellations motivation was at an all time low.

Somethings definitely up with my foot, for the past couple of weeks its been really sore and difficult to run on so going to pop to the physio. Im just doing bits and scraps trying to tick over for the time being.

Wednesday:
    6 miles on the treadmill. 7:40 min/mile.

Thursday:
    6 miles on treadmill. 7:40 min/mile.

Friday:
    6 miles. Treadmill. 7.40 min/mile. Had to fit these runs in on lunch breaks hence the 6 miles.

Saturday:
    Tried to run but foot too sore, only managed a mile.

Tuesday:
    Took a few days off to let the foot rest...then I went and tried to do a workout.:rolleyes:

On the treadmill:

1 mile warm up
    4x30 seconds 5:42 min/mile with 1 minute recovery
    3x800m @ 5:46 min/mile with 2 minute recovery
    1x800m@ 6:15 min/mile

Plan was to finish with 4x1000m at tempo pace with 1 minute recovery but foot was just too sore. Not my most sensible workout ever.

Friday:

2.25 mile warm up
    30 minutes @ tempo pace (6:31 min/mile)
    1 mile warm down

Did tempo over a mixture of footpaths and xc surface. Very happy with the pace, its come down nicely for me over the course of the programme. Again foot sore. Had to walk most of the way home.

Sunday:
    10 miles. 7:16 minute/mile. Av. HR 87%.

Was'nt planning on running this one fast but felt good today so upped the pace a bit. 4 miles under 7 min pace and felt good and relaxed throughout. Very good run for me today.

Foots still in a bad way. Im lucky that I got the hard stuff in and this period is about tapering and peaking for races. This winter has always been more about preparing for the summer rather than focusing on racing but it would be nice to get some races in (only one 5k since last August:rolleyes:). Im going to see the physio and just gonna do what I can in the meantime...plan was to take a two week break in mid February so that will hopefully be enough time for the foot to heal (might have to move the break forward a bit which is'nt the end of the world as it will give me a longer base period for track).

Advertisement